PW 3.0.53: Demo of admin theme framework

ryan

Thanks Ryan. Very good progress on this! Can't wait to see what the communities front dev pros can show us how to use it / what all can be done with it, now that you have opened it for easy configuration. ^-^

• Like 7

I want to thank you Ryan for organizing this community effort. Inviting and encouraging to participate in development, making it this straight forward is something rare and yet unusual even for such a  great community as ours. It is interesting how things will turn out. Seems like @renobird is going to be leading this endeavour. What could be our strategies to participate?

P.S. By the way, do not forget to check out the off-canvas menu in the demo.

• Like 4

Hey Ivan, 

I think Ryan was just mentioning me in that post because I've worked heavily on the admin before (Admin Theme Reno), and because I've expressed interest in contributing to this next phase. I don't expect my ideas to carry any more weight than anyone else in the community that wants to contribute. I'm sure @ryan will have ideas for how ideas are vetted and integrated. I'm just excited that the admin will be easier to theme, and from the looks of it more configurable all around. 

• Like 5

16 hours ago, renobird said:

......... I don't expect my ideas to carry any more weight than anyone else in the community that wants to contribute.............

I do!

If the Reno admin theme layout is your idea, then I want you ideas to carry more weight. It is a huge improvement in making PW look more current. Even though what ryan has built is excellent, the admin needed that different perspective and extra touch and from what I can see, your ideas were needed.

Looking at the demo in ryan's post, it looks nice and clear but changing pages means pressing back button of going back to pages menu. I think the Reno sidebar approach works better. If it is in the way, it could be collapsible (or different when viewed on mobile).

• Like 1

mikeuk,

I appreciate the kind words. The sidebar navigation is something I use very heavily myself, and I know a lot of people prefer that layout. That said, I think there are probably just as many who prefer the navigation where it is in the default theme.

The ideal solution would be to make that configurable. There's been a lot of discussion around that in other threads, so I won't go into all the detail here. 

My hope is that at the end of this process we have a single core admin theme that can be tailored to a variety of layout & color scheme preferences.

• Like 9

@Ryan: Thank you for giving us the change to take a sneak peak at the new admin theme. It look great. I would like to make a suggestion and hope it is appreciated.

In the current design the tree menu has lines between pages menu-links. It makes the tree very accessible and more practical in my opinion. The menu intents to float a little bit and the hierarchy is less obvious. Hope it make sense.

58b3393a30ca9_Schermafbeelding2017-02-26om21_07_08.png.8f06c4c1294dea3be8563fd98c5956d2.png

6 hours ago, renobird said:

My hope is that at the end of this process we have a single core admin theme that can be tailored to a variety of layout & color scheme preferences.

Sounds so good!

And I just want to add my voice to @tpr's proposal made in the comments to one of the previous blog posts to integrate the best of the AOS features in to the core universal admin theme. So we can then just style them or turn them on and off like in the mentioned module. Maybe we can not only bring some new look but improve functionality at the same time.

• Like 8

In terms of the page tree, I took a look around some other CMSs and I've come to a first conclusion.

I would like to have the page tree in a sidebar, but not all the time, because a clean Interface is key. I'm more for the option to blend it in like the offcanvas Concrete5 does. If we want to keep the mouseover menu, enough space is necessary, more than in the image below.

concrete5.JPG.8f85fb24127ef4b9c4f2fba348c0d286.JPG

On the majority of the systems a click on the page name opens the page to edit. Even if it is a parent page. Drag and drop to move pages are just implemented and don't use a additional click. I like the approach of the neos backend there, a click opens the page to edit. Dragging a page just happens naturally. The accordion is activated with a specific icon, not by clicking on the page name.

neos.JPG.2c1f767e9f591739fb3f26aef480dabe.JPG

• Like 2

Welcome @Schwab,

2 hours ago, Schwab said:

I would like to have the page tree in a sidebar, but not all the time, because a clean Interface is key. I'm more for the option to blend it in like the offcanvas Concrete5 does. If we want to keep the mouseover menu, enough space is necessary, more than in the image below.

This is already implemented with the „quick-tree“ page list panel;)

2 hours ago, Schwab said:

On the majority of the systems a click on the page name opens the page to edit. Even if it is a parent page. Drag and drop to move pages are just implemented and don't use a additional click. I like the approach of the neos backend there, a click opens the page to edit. Dragging a page just happens naturally. The accordion is activated with a specific icon, not by clicking on the page name.

This one is a matter of preference. In my opinion, I find the extra additional clicks for dragging or editing a page alright, because I don't want me or someone else to accidentally move a page. If you want to quickly edit or view a page, you could use the long-click actions. I find them very useful, but they should be promoted more obvious. :rolleyes:

Regards, Andreas

• Like 4

Hey AndZyk

Thanks for the tipp about the quick-tree, totally missed that. Of course it's preference and it's interesting to hear from others how they perceive it.

The long click action to change the language on a page is a great feature, but I stumbled over it by accident. I will read some more about them, don't know what the other actions are.

Regards, Simon