New blog post: Working towards a new admin theme

ryan

18 minutes ago, adrian said:

I'd also love to see the page tree in the sidebar and the other menu items (setup, modules, access) in the top menu.

+1! If would be awesome if the page tree could be visible in the sidebar. The Page Tree and ProcessPageEdit seperately are to most clients instantly clear, but combining those two would fill in a gap.

• Like 2

How are you all envisioning the pagetree working in the sidebar for large sites? Or do you just mean having it configurable to use if it works?

I have sites where the nesting is far too deep to make the sidebar pagetree useful.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, renobird said:

How are you all envisioning the pagetree working in the sidebar for large sites? Or do you just mean having it configurable to use if it works?

I have sites where the nesting is far too deep to make the sidebar pagetree useful.

Hey @renobird - I have one site that is 5 levels deep and I think it would be great. How many levels are you thinking would be too many? What do you think the issue is with too many levels? Maybe I am just not seeing what the issue would be yet?

Maybe long page titles (like journal article titles) would be a problem?

• Like 2

@adrian We have some that are 8-10 levels deep here, and then lengthy titles (you know, academics. ;P). I'm certain it's a useful feature, but I won't want that to be the primary way to interact with the page tree. Being able to access the pagetree from a panel that overlays pageEdit would seem sufficient to me, especially if it's keeping track of whatever state it's in.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, renobird said:

If the new default ends up covering everything that Reno does, then it will be obsolete and no longer developed.

Tom, why? Is there no room for 3rd-party Admin Themes in the future available via the modules' directory? You know how it is with subjective preferences; some people will prefer Reno others will prefer the new default theme (when it comes out) :). Just wondering....

• Like 1

Hey Kongondo,

I think 3rd-party admin themes will be even easier than before. What I meant was that since Reno is kind of a core theme, it doesn't make sense to develop it separately *if* — and it's still a giant *if*— the new default theme allows you to configure a setup that is basically the same as the current Reno theme.

We are deeply invested in the Reno theme here, so either the new admin will be customizable to something very similar, or I'll keep developing Reno as separate theme. I have some things I'd like to implement that UIKit will make easier, and I'm excited to dive in once Ryan has a stable base theme to work from.

• Like 7

17 hours ago, renobird said:

Configurable. I have seen mock-ups around the forum which have a Windows Explorer (never thought I would bring up MS to make my point) kind of sidebar. Which shows the tree on the left and the editting screen on the right. It was based on another CMS. 

I can imagine if you have very nested structure with very long titles this might not be very handy. On the other hand I've seen (lesser tech savvy) clients struggling with the connection between the tree and the edit screen. To others it is instantly clear.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, arjen said:

Configurable

This should be the keyword here. Also meaning a related API dedicated to support custom configuration options as well. No one likes to reinvent the wheel I guess, so some sort of "sub-theming" or better yet transportable settings and customizations would be nice to have instead of two or more completely separate admin themes.

Edited by szabesz
typo
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/13/2017 at 4:20 PM, adrian said:

I'd also love to see the page tree in the sidebar and the other menu items (setup, modules, access) in the top menu. I am not certain, but I think now that the page tree is cached it won't be a performance issue to have it in the sidebar anymore?

This should be seriously considered, even better: in a configurable way. Best thing would be to support user level configuration, meaning the user could overwrite the default (defined by the site's developer) on its Profile page, similarly to current Default/Reno option, but in this case the base of the layout could be configurable.

We even have mockups of this! :) 

• Like 4