Preview/Discussion: RockDataTables

bernhard

can you post your $pages->findObjects() call please?

Sorry, missed that you already did that.

in the DBMS it take 0.3908 second(s) for 18119 pages.

You can try dumping the query that is created by my module and throw that to the dbms and analyse it.

As I wrote in the related thread I'm working on another implementation of RockSqlFinder as I came across some limitations yesterday

• Like 1

Okay,

Not sure how to debug the right query in the module, but

The findIDs() in buildQuery(), in the DBMS take 0.3087 second for 18119 pages.

The query ($query) in findObjects(), in the DBMS take 1.9846 seconds for 18119 pages.

And, why we have a difference of ~10 seconds when calling findObjects() or even findMany() from Tracy ?

Edit 1:  same average with 96611 pages.

Edit 2 :

I stumbled on this thread :

If you are interested, I have the code of two hooks which implement COUNT(), SUM() and DATEDIFF().

1 hour ago, flydev said:

And, why we have a difference of ~10 seconds when calling findObjects() or even findMany() from Tracy ?

Sorry, no idea. Only situation where I know that it is slow is when it loads pages because of closures.

Do you have the current version? Is this check available in your module? https://gitlab.com/baumrock/RockSqlFinder/commit/17464b0397ed5f3d62bc86177d0c2395f33b5d9e

If you are interested, I have the code of two hooks which implement COUNT(), SUM() and DATEDIFF().

Thanks, no need at the moment :)

• Like 1

I finally found my mistake - it was an autoload module.

Also another mistake was the selector. I was using the has_parent keyword on a ~360k pages, growing each night. Selecting a direct parent reduced considerably the time of the aggregation.  It take ~18 seconds to do some calculation on 112 689 pages fetched, but it take 60 seconds to build and show two charts from theses 112k pages.

Still looking to improve it before scratching my head into MySQL stocked procedures.

Didn't checked the repo, do you have pushed an update regarding the implementation in RockSqlFinder yet ?

On 11/04/2018 at 2:23 PM, bernhard said:

Thanks, no need at the moment :)

okay

8 minutes ago, flydev said:

I finally found my mistake - it was an autoload module.

Also another mistake was the selector. I was using the has_parent keyword on a ~360k pages, growing each night. Selecting a direct parent reduced considerably the time of the aggregation.  It take ~18 seconds to do some calculation on 112 689 pages fetched, but it take 60 seconds to build and show two charts from theses 112k pages.

Still looking to improve it before scratching my head into MySQL stocked procedures.

thanks for the headsup :) glad you found it!

8 minutes ago, flydev said:

Didn't checked the repo, do you have pushed an update regarding the implementation in RockSqlFinder yet ?

I'm right now working on a complete rewrite of the module. The syntax will change a little bit but be a lot more flexible. I'm working on a recursive version that should make it possible to easily query pages that are referenced by pagefields. This is a huge timesaver when working with mysql because this joins can really be a tedious task. This setup should also make it possible to do easy aggregations via custom SQL statements. That's why I think I will not need your aggregation functions for $pages api :)

Hmm... Thinking about it... Maybe this could be helpful in some situations. Maybe you want to share it in the dev board with all of us?

I hope I can push an update this week.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

hey @jmartsch, not really. I'm fighting with it on several new projects ;) Some changes turn out to be not as simple as I thought (as always). I'll release a version when I finished my projects and did some more testing.

Yes, it will be renamed to "RockGrid" because I changed the grid library from datatables.net to ag-grid.com

I'm making progress! Current state is really, really nice. See these two examples of a feedback software that I've built for a client:

demo1.thumb.png.c7035271b11f957146628e0863f9a1e5.png

• full multi-language-support
  • all kinds of custom cell stylings (backgrounds, icons, etc)
  • custom filters
  • filter by doubleclick on a cell (really handy)
  • custom buttons-plugin (not part of aggrid):
    • reload data via ajax (very performant thanks to RockFinder)
    • reset filters
    • fullscreen mode (really handy for large grids)
    • excel export as CSV data
  • reload grid automatically when a pw-panel is closed

Another example: A list of all ratings for several categories

demo2.thumb.png.69b4d01f6c56d82cca97905f90259213.png

See the bottom line: this is another plugin that is not part of aggrid. You can just show the sum of the column (like the second column) or render custom statistics (like min, max, avg). When you select multiple lines you also get the statistics only for the selected rows :) This is also an example how you can use pinned rows with aggrid (really awesome library!).

Example of a range filter (aggrid standard feature):

demo3.png.d25f04bd6dd39f469a3a2232b876317f.png

• Like 7

Great work bernhard! I'm really interested in giving this a spin. Also the Enterprise features like pivots, filters, grouping are really great. Would it be possible to integrate these features by a third party without touching the module?

• Like 1

Sorry for the delay @arjen

On 5/10/2018 at 10:01 AM, arjen said:

Also the Enterprise features like pivots, filters, grouping are really great. Would it be possible to integrate these features by a third party without touching the module?

Don't think there should be any restrictions. My module should not break any functionality that comes with aggrid. Maybe some of my additional tools might need to be adopted to also support enterprise features, I don't know, but the module will be extendible via plugins so you can do whatever you want with it.

Another feature that I've implemented is called Batcher. This makes it easy to create batch processes sent via AJAX and execute custom actions on the server. An action can be as simple as that:

$this->ajax('trash', function($data) {
  foreach($data as $id) {
    $p = pages($id);
    if(!$p->trashable()) continue;
    $this->pages->trash($p);
  }
});

And the GUI:

var Batcher = RockGrid.batcher;
Batcher.items = grid.pluck('id', {selected:true});
Batcher.batchSize = 2;
Batcher.action = function(items) {
  // send ajax request to this grid
  var ajax = grid.ajax({
    action: 'trash',
    data: items,
  }).done(function(params) {
    Batcher.nextBatch();
  });
};
Batcher.confirmStart({
  msg: 'Are you sure you want to delete the selected rows?',
  onYes: function() {
    Batcher.nextBatch();
  },
  onNo: function() {
    $(grid.getWrapperDOM()).find('.rockgridbutton.trash i').removeClass('fa-spin fa-spinner').addClass('fa-trash');
    Batcher.abort();
  }
});
Batcher.onStart = function() {
  $(grid.getWrapperDOM()).find('.rockgridbutton.trash i').removeClass('fa-trash').addClass('fa-spin fa-spinner');
};
Batcher.onEnd = function() {
  $(grid.getWrapperDOM()).find('.rockgridbutton.refresh').click();
  $(grid.getWrapperDOM()).find('.rockgridbutton.trash i').removeClass('fa-spin fa-spinner').addClass('fa-trash');
  setTimeout(function() { Batcher.vex.close(); }, 500);
};

batcher.gif.af5333a0f1fbf2eb49131f0c3612bc60.gif

?

Edit: The screencast does not really delete mails and it's a lot slower than real-life, because the ->trash() operation is replaced by a sleep(1) ?

15 hours ago, bernhard said:

Sorry for the delay @arjen

On 5/10/2018 at 10:01 AM, arjen said:

No problem, thanks for responding.

the module will be extendible via plugins so you can do whatever you want with it

Super sweet. You've created something really powerful.

Another feature that I've implemented is called Batcher.

Great feature!

On a particular project we use ListerPro a lot, but working with lots of data (10k+ pages with 30 fields represented in columns) in ListerPro is becoming more and more tedious. Response times are sometimes slowing down. Especially since there are sometimes hundreds of concurrent users. I am thinking to use your DataTables and Rockfinder since it feels a lot snappier than ListerPro.

2 hours ago, arjen said:

On a particular project we use ListerPro a lot, but working with lots of data (10k+ pages with 30 fields represented in columns) in ListerPro is becoming more and more tedious. Response times are sometimes slowing down. Especially since there are sometimes hundreds of concurrent users. I am thinking to use your DataTables and Rockfinder since it feels a lot snappier than ListerPro.

Not sure about this on such large numbers. 10k pages per se should be easy. But with hundreds of users..?! Would need a test-run for sure. Maybe caching would be necessary or at least helpful. Are you interested in a closed beta test run? -> pm

• Like 1

Here is a really nice example of a simple plugin. You can develop custom plugins and just place them in /site/assets/RockGrid/plugins or we can share them in the community. Look at that lovely UI for the user and how quickly he can get the information he wants in a very attractive way:

Doubleclick = filter this row with the selected value
Tripleclick = reset filter for this row (but leave all other columns untouched)

filterdemo.thumb.gif.cf9aa8e7dc0a175f7003334b68eb1eaf.gif

document.addEventListener('RockGridItemLoadPlugins', function(e) {
  RockGrid.getGrid(e.target).registerPlugin(function() {
    this.name = 'doubleClickFilter';

this.onLoad = function() {
      var grid = this.grid;

var clicks = 0;
      var timer, timeout = 350; // time between each click

var doubleClick = function(e) {
        var colId = e.column.colId;
        var filter = grid.api().getFilterInstance(colId);
        filter.setModel({
          type: 'equals',
          filter: e.value,
        });
        grid.api().onFilterChanged();
        grid.api().deselectAll();
      }

var tripleClick = function(e) {
        var colId = e.column.colId;
        var filter = grid.api().getFilterInstance(colId);
        filter.setModel({});
        grid.api().onFilterChanged();
        grid.api().deselectAll();
      }

// click timer
      grid.api().addEventListener('cellClicked', function(e) {
        clearTimeout(timer);
        clicks++;
        var evt = e;
        timer = setTimeout(function() {
          if(clicks==2) doubleClick(evt);
          if(clicks==3) tripleClick(evt);
          clicks = 0;
        }, timeout);
      });
    }
  });
});

Not that complicated, right? But huge result ? 

PS: Do you see the click on the reload button? Loading > 900 rows of data with RockFinder in a breeze ? 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Gideon So said:

When does the public beta come out and we can give it a try?? Waiting for it eager ly.

Gideon

Should have something available within the next month, but can't guarantee that..

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Finally I was able to release RockGrid

I decided to release it as MIT, so everybody can contribute and maybe use it for other great additions to ProcessWire. I think it's a great way of listing data and I can think of several situations where it would make the admin UI a lot better than it is now with our existing tools. For example @adrian s batch child editor could maybe benefit from such a tool? I don't know. Let's see what happens...

The module is still alpha and not perfect... But it was also a lot of work and can't provide anything better than that at the moment. If anybody here can do it better: Please feel free to take over ? 

Thanks everybody for all the feedback here in this thread! Special thanks to @MrSnoozles for showing me agGrid and making me replace datatables  ? 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

• 8 months later...
On 12/19/2017 at 2:28 AM, adrian said:

Rather than chartjs, can I suggest something that outputs SVG (not canvas) and is potentially based on D3js to make it easy to manipulate beyond the charting library's built-in options. SVG gives more options for exporting the charts for use in vector graphics editors.

Found this by coincidence today, because they also have a great (looking) calendar library and all MIT and well documented: https://ui.toast.com/tui-chart/

I created a new thread for discussion: