TwitterMarkupFeed-Module: Problem with links

geniestreiche

hey folks,

i tried out the twittermarkupfeed-module and it works well so far. thanks ryan :)

i use this url http://search.twitter.com/search.rss?q=%23schrenz1000%20OR%20from:Schrenz1000 for my feed.

the problem is that it doesn't shows tweets with a link inside. is there any limitations by twitter? but when i create a tweet on the twitter website and include an image then it works with the link to the image. i thought ryan used the module on the processwire page and some of the tweets have links to forum posts for example.

greetings

It looks to me like that may be a different kind of feed than what the MarkupTwitterFeed module was designed to use. This particular feed is putting HTML inside of RSS, whereas the Twitter Feeds I've worked with were consistent with the text of the actual tweets (no HTML added to them). I would guess that the tweets with links are failing because of the extra HTML added to the links. I am also guessing that this particular RSS feed was designed for a front-end AJAX search function. Maybe there is a GET variable that can be specified to have them turn off the HTML they are adding to it? If not, it might be better not to use this particular feed, since it doesn't seems to be setup for another purpose.

One other thing you could try would be to specify "false" for the linkUrls option to the module:

$t = $modules->get('MarkupTwitterFeed');
$t->linkUrls = false; 

• 2 months later...

Twitter made interesting change on their API and disallows to read public timelines without authentication: https://dev.twitter.com/discussions/10803

This means that processwire.com frontpage (and many other sites as well, I assume) shows error currently: MarkupTwitterFeed: Unable to load http://twitter.com/statuses/user_timeline/208130540.rss?count=2

Best part is that there is (as far as I understood) no way to build simple "show my tweets" modules without server side authentication. From the comments:

You can't authenticate with the 1.1 API in pure client-side Javascript -- that's why you can't find any examples of this. If you want to simply embed a user timeline on your page, it's best to either use our Embedded Timelines widget or build a server-side integration.

And as we know, those embedded widgets sucks :/

Wow that really sucks of them to do that. Kind of takes Twitter out of the web site integration picture doesn't it? Seems like a major branding loss for them, as people will migrate to other solutions to do the same thing. That is, unless this server-side authentication is feasible... I have no idea what's involved there, but glad to implement it for this module if it's not a major hurdle. Anyone worked with this before?

These are the libraries recommended by twitter. Apparently there is also a zend service that it's not there. Seems pretty simple to implement. At least I used the service for youtube, and it was:

$twitter = new Zend_Service_Twitter(array(
   'username' => 'johndoe',
   'accessToken' => $token
));
$response   = $twitter->status->userTimeline();
  • Like 1

Anyone interested in working on this module (or starting a new one)? Looks like it's going to have to start from scratch, or at least close to it.

@diogo Regarding Zend_Service_Twitter, is this the sort of thing that requires installing the whole Zend framework, or can the class function without too many dependencies?

Good to know there is still an RSS available. But if it's only for a few months, it's probably not the long term solution we need for this module (though great that it buys us some time).

Is Twitter going out of business or something? Just wondering why they are closing things down. It seems unusual because the natural result of this change will be for people to create their "tweets" elsewhere… relegating Twitter to be a carbon copier rather than a source. Obsoletion.

The last version of my "oneliner" software (for Wildcat BBS) came out in 1993. Now thinking I need to make a new version for ProcessWire. :)

Ryan, for youtube I only had to download teh zend gdata folder and only had to use the youtube part and the AuthSub.php file for the authentication. I imagine that it's the same thing with twitter.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...