modifiedcontent

Has anyone installed Processwire on Amazon EC2?

alan    364
11 hours ago, LostKobrakai said:

not as plain replacement for a single VPS elsewhere (which really has no great benefit to be run on amazon or not)

I've assumed that I can use Amazon in place of a traditional VPS, such as Servint (who I like), for a significant saving. Maybe I'm wrong in that assumption..?

To test that assumption and learn I've been working with Amazon EC2 to see if I can teach myself how to host multiple sites. So far so good.

• Like 2

Robin S    2,525
3 hours ago, alan said:

To test that assumption and learn I've been working with Amazon EC2 to see if I can teach myself how to host multiple sites. So far so good.

A write-up/tutorial would be much appreciated when you're ready! :)

• Like 2

LostKobrakai    4,313
10 hours ago, alan said:

I've assumed that I can use Amazon in place of a traditional VPS

You absolutely can, but that's not why EC2 is so powerful and it's by no means suddenly more scaleable than a VPS elsewhere. That's what people are often missing. The scaleablity praise for amazon comes from things like autoscaling, which dynamically adds new EC2 instances or destroys unused ones, which has the same problems and hurdles you've had on heroku as well (except on aws you have to do the setup on your own as well). And for the complexity of amazons security management and other things involved in AWS it's probably better for unexperienced people to just go with digitalocean/linode for single instance VPS, because the savings in money on AWS are probably counteracted by the time saved not setting up EC2, but simple clicking a few buttons somewhere else.

• Like 2

cstevensjr    1,378
4 hours ago, LostKobrakai said:

You absolutely can, but that's not why EC2 is so powerful and it's by no means suddenly more scaleable than a VPS elsewhere. That's what people are often missing. The scaleablity praise for amazon comes from things like autoscaling, which dynamically adds new EC2 instances or destroys unused ones, which has the same problems and hurdles you've had on heroku as well (except on aws you have to do the setup on your own as well). And for the complexity of amazons security management and other things involved in AWS it's probably better for unexperienced people to just go with digitalocean/linode for single instance VPS, because the savings in money on AWS are probably counteracted by the time saved not setting up EC2, but simple clicking a few buttons somewhere else.

I agree with all that you are saying, however I also think that people want more choices.  It may be complex setting things up, but what does it hurt to find out how to make it work?  I know I am interested in learning how to make the different AWS services work with ProcessWIre.

• Like 1

alan    364
14 hours ago, Robin S said:

A write-up/tutorial would be much appreciated when you're ready! :)

I plan to ^_^

I am not there yet, but I have PW working and am just hunting down a bug, if that proves trivial and other tests work OK then I will certainly write it up.

Thanks @LostKobrakai for your comments, you are clearly way ahead of me in this department—it's very helpful to hear from someone with your knowledge. Re:

7 hours ago, LostKobrakai said:

with digitalocean/linode for single instance VPS

I did look at both of these a little, but it seemed they were principally aimed at people who routinely take bare Linux and get LAMP running, I may be wrong. But based on that assumption and guessing the docs on Amazon were perhaps going to encompass me (someone who'd heard of `yum` but hardly ever used it) I returned to Amazon.

I tried Amazon Lightsail but fell off the process when it looked like I had to use the bitnami LAMP bundle (see below), or use Amazon tuts written for EC2, not Lightsail, and using those with Lightsail did not work and I was on too thin knowledge-ice to keep going. So I simply decided to try EC2 + the Amazon tuts written for getting EC2 LAMP, and so far, so good.

Re:

3 hours ago, cstevensjr said:

but that's not why EC2 is so powerful and it's by no means suddenly more scaleable than a VPS elsewhere

Thanks for noting this, I did understand that I was almost 'misusing' EC2 by looking to simply make a tiny VPS in the cloud and almost certainly not using any of the amazing features AWS offers, but I am not coming to AWS for the reasons most would and it's helpful to note that as I don't want to mislead :).  I'm coming to AWS from a weird angle, where I want to make a solid, modest cloud VPS equivalent, where I can host 10 sites or so, needing no elastic redundancy or power-up capabilities BUT wanting to take advantage of paying for use (low) rather than a flat monthly fee that I pay a traditional hoster, where my low consumption of resources is not reflected in my fixed monthly bill. I should have stated that earlier ;)

Aside

I was put off when looking at Amazon + bitnami by reviews of the bitnami LAMP bundle. Conversely I have so far been left confident about the Amazon Linux distro and the tutorial for getting LAMP up. It's not been quite as simple as following a tutorial, but I've not had to search too far to keep proceeding and I feel less intimidated logging into AWS than I used to, so that's one take away at least ;)

One of the review that made me stop looking at Amazon + bitnami:

This image is really awful! 
1) All applications are installed in /opt/bitnami instead of their default locations. If an expert, like me, tries to work with it, he has to learn all configs from scretch. 
2) All applications are highly coupled. In order to change mysql data location I had to edit 15!!! files. 
3) It's not possible to restart single application, as all of them are installed in a bundle. 
4) There's no even restart for the bundle service. 

The result: 2 work hours lost + moved to other image 

Probably it was the worst experience I ever had with preinstalled images.

Source

I was also concerned that I may end up paying bitnami for LAMP (per month?) plus Amazon and yet one of my motivations for this exercise was trying to lower my VPS costs (which due to currency changes is about 50% up on what I used to pay).

• Like 1