Modules Manager

Soma

@Neeks 500 errors are most often caused by .htaccess problems. Have a look at your .htaccess - does it need updating for 2.4? Also try commenting out any non-PW entries and see if you see an improvement.

Hi there! Just updated to PW 2.4 - without updating the ModuleManager to 2.x, which worked fine. After that I added JQueryDataTables and then updated to the latest ModuleManager that gives me "400 Bad Request - Request Header Or Cookie Too Large" now.

I'm using a Nginx webproxy/server via HTTPS. The logs do not tell me much (access.log, error.log is empty): 

1.1.1.1 - - [06/Mar/2014:11:48:56 +0100] "GET /processwire-admin/setup/modulesmanager/ HTTP/1.1" 400 242 "https://bs.somedomain.com/processwire-admin/module/edit?name=ModulesManager" "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:27.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/27.0"

So nothing to see here. Thank you.

module manager worked great until I upgraded to the latest version after upgrading from pw2.3-2.4 and upgrading to the latest module manager at the same time I kept getting:

"500 Internal Server Error"

Note: old module manager worked under 2.4.

I searched though my logs but an not finding anything in the porcessiwre error log or my apache error log.

every once in a while the page does load with the words "processings..." and "loading..." by the module table

when look at my js console it says "502 bad gateway"

90% of the time I just get the error 500 and don't even see the module manager table. 

I have tried setting max redirects from 0-25

and limit from 0-200

------------------------------------

Please let me know if there is anything I can do to provide better debug information. 

This module is amazing and just want to give so much thanks for all the hard work that went into it. 

I don't see what could be the problem. Did you install JqueryDataTables module too?

Hi there! Just updated to PW 2.4 - without updating the ModuleManager to 2.x, which worked fine. After that I added JQueryDataTables and then updated to the latest ModuleManager that gives me "400 Bad Request - Request Header Or Cookie Too Large" now.

I'm using a Nginx webproxy/server via HTTPS. The logs do not tell me much (access.log, error.log is empty): 

1.1.1.1 - - [06/Mar/2014:11:48:56 +0100] "GET /processwire-admin/setup/modulesmanager/ HTTP/1.1" 400 242 "https://bs.somedomain.com/processwire-admin/module/edit?name=ModulesManager" "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:27.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/27.0"

I don't understand. Does this happen when updating, after updating...

I don't see any problems and working/worked fine here. I did some changes on 2.1.2 but don't think that's doing anything you see here.

I have problem understanding where and what happened, let alone understanding that error as I don't know exactly when it did happen.

Just tested with a ModulesManager 1.1.1 installed and updated (using ModulesManager) ModulesManager to 2.1.2, no problems.

Still wondering what is different, or when this errors occurs and if it has to do with your server, https nginx or whatever. There's hasn't really changed anything of the core stuff just minor tweaks and JqueryDataTables added.

If the error is "request header or cookie too large", it'd be helpful if you could take a look at headers and cookies sent for that request and see if there are any anomalies there. From there it would be easier to debug why that's happening :)

Hello and thanks for the nice ModulesManager module.

I'm running into a problem after deploying the site on the live server. When I open ModulesManager I get this error:

TemplateFile: cannot read cache file /is/htdocs/.../site/assets/cache/ModuleManager.cache

The file is there and its permissions are set to 640 so it should be readable by PW.

Any idea what might be the cause?

Thank you

gerhard

Running into exactly the same problem. Deleting the ModuleManager.cache file did not help neither did removing and re-installing.

Developing locally on XAMPP on Windows 7.

Hi, just wanted to say that my error: 500's magically fixed themselves. No sure if the  module manager was just having a hard time connecting to the server to get a listing or what. But my modules manager seems to be working flawlessly with no changes on my end. I increased the listing limit, all seems to be working great without a problem. Thanks.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I just unzipped and placed the module in the modules folder on localhost.

To install this module the 'install' button is dimmed, does not seem to work.

If I click the module-name itself then in a window it ask me if I want to install this module. But also nothing happens.

Any suggestions? I use PW2.4 and am on localhost.

post-2177-0-57394900-1395662252_thumb.pn

post-2177-0-27887100-1395662253_thumb.pn

EDIT>>>>

I had to download and install Jquery Data Tables module first. In my opinion:

when I see a text "requires..." I do not assume that I do not have it and WHAT it is.

How is one to know what it is - a file or something - and if it is not installed in the core already?

It would however be nice if this text - when not installed yet - could be: please download and install Jquery Data Tables module first!

Any way it's working now. Thanks

• Like 2

Any module that has a requires line is saying it requires those other modules first in order to work.

Perhaps it should display a toolkit on hover of the greyed out button or something to make it clear.

• Like 1

This is wrong thread for this to be discussed. 

For me I assume you know what a module is and how to search for it, and finally install it. But as said this has nothing to do with Modules Manager.

• Like 1

Well, not to be rude or anything, but now you are implying people need to know that the phrase "JqueryDataTables" is a module?

I guess I just have to learn all existing modules by memory and hope no-one creates a new one - I might flunk the test. lol

This phrase is put in the module part upon installing.

And when I was in the Modules/plugins section of this site at ModuleManager it did had a button saying "support board"???

But never mind, maybe the link over there is simply redirecting to the wrong topic....

@Bwakad,

I agree with Soma here. The work of developing websites and installing modules is not for the client. It is the work of the developer. In that sense, It is assumed (nay, required even) that a developer working on PW (or any product for that matter) has some basic knowledge about how to develop in that system. In my opinion, before you install a module, you need to know what it is, what it does and what you need to get it up and running (how to install and uninstall it, what it requires - including PHP and PW versions). You also need to know and understand the notices and description text in the PW Admin and the modules you install. Logically, it follows then that when you see something labelled as "required", it means you have to check and confirm whether you have it or not..."

I don't mean to be rude (or presumptuous) but the indication (as you state in another thread) that you by going through a certain tutorial in the Wiki you understood the difference between $pages and $pages tells me you probably haven't read the PW docs, especially the must-read PW API about $page and $pages. Or maybe I am wrong and that's where your PW journey started. Further, going by the conversation above, I can only assume that you haven't read about Modules either (http://processwire.com/api/modules/) in the docs. If you did, you would have noticed that the issue of "require" is addressed...

I normally don't wade in like this, especially when it comes to new forum members. I am not attempting to put you off but gently suggesting that it is in your best interest to read the necessary docs. Then, we can sort of be on the same page (no pun intended) when discussing the ins and outs of ProcessWire...

Cheers/k

Edited by kongondo

Well, not to be rude or anything, but now you are implying people need to know that the phrase "JqueryDataTables" is a module?

I guess I just have to learn all existing modules by memory and hope no-one creates a new one - I might flunk the test. lol

This phrase is put in the module part upon installing.

And when I was in the Modules/plugins section of this site at ModuleManager it did had a button saying "support board"???

But never mind, maybe the link over there is simply redirecting to the wrong topic....

No problem. I'm glad you actually brought this up. 

By saying "it's probably wrong thread", I meant that the problem you had there isn't directly related to Modules Manager but installing modules in PW core module manager in general.

For me and others it seems to be clear that if it shows "Requires: SomeName" means that it's a module that is required to be installed (since you can't install it) This is always a module, and never something else. The requires dependency is something handled by ProcessWire and not Modules Manager. So Modules Manager isn't responsible for it, I just tell ProcessWire what Modules Manager requires as a "JqueryDataTables". I don't have influence on how this particular feature shows and works within admin core module page, since Modules Manager it isn't even installed yet at this point.

After all it's fine, at least you posted something (a concern) that maybe helps us improving it. We are all for improving things, but this hasn't really come up for anybody, but that doesn't mean it couldn't be improved.

It shows...

... it may not clear for some what "requires: SomeName" really means. Along with that you can still click on the module name and opens an alert, that doesn't say much. I think this is a "bug" that needs to be addressed by Ryan. So please file an issue (or someone else) on ProcessWire github, explain it or link to your post.

...Modules Manager readme needs an update with a note about requirements.

I think some more, clearer "newbie-friendly" instructions could be implemented by Ryan for the module installing process. So will I need to for Modules Manager (kinda same story)

I also just updated the readme and this threads first post. Thx.

As for installing modules. 

In PW 2.4 you don't necessary need Modules Manager to download and install modules.

Instead of donwloading and put folder in modules folder, you could've done it via PW module page. Go to the modules page in admin and go to tab "New", enter name  "ModulesManager" (class names are always unique and in this kind of format "SomeName", you'll see that name on module details screen on modules.processwire.com) and submit. It will look for the module and if found allow you to download and install it directly from within admin. This you could've done with the "JqueryDataTables" module too. Just copy and enter the name and go to "New" tab.

If a module has all required modules installed it won't show the "requires" note. To make sure that you don't have the module already downloaded you could search the module screen and look under "Jquery" section. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi tobaco, Soma is the King of this so I can't be sure of the following but my guess is that for some reason the initial attempts to list all Modules failed (e.g. a glitch in the Matrix) and so you initially saw 10. My experience of this Module has been that it is 100% reliable across multiple sites. I think when it connects and lists all 224 (and counting) it stores this list locally and so until you next manually refresh that list will remain.

So I would expect for these reasons you will find this Module very robust going forward; unless there is something else happening here with the particular install/environment.

Edit: PS: DOH! Misread your reply, though you said "so this seems to be only a temporary problem fix" - sorry, sounds like you're all good and don't need any comforter comments like mine :) Enjoy PW it's been a revelation each time I've needed it.

Edited by alanfluff
  • Like 2

@Soma, Thanks for your great module! I am using this on every site I developed and it works great!

I just updated to latest Module Manager and was looking for updates on my installed modules and I have noticed two things: 

1) My module is older than the one is installed as per the module modified date but the version is same and module manager show it's up-to-date which should not be.

2) I have Video Embed for Youtube/Vimeo module which doesn't show up in module manager.

Thank you!

fmgujju,

The info at the top of the modules page should say something like:

Modules found on modules.processwire.com (224)

Maybe the file limit in the module's prefs is to low to check for all availabe modules?

I had to increase the limit at my installations recently.

• Like 1

So for the modified, just ignore it for now. Depends much on how Ryan will handle the modified date on module directory.

Regarding the versions, the "modified date" wouldn't always mean the module has updated its version. It could as well be an readme update or just the maintainer updated the modules info page. ModulesManager only looks for the version of the module to mark an newer available version. 

• Like 1