Modules Manager

Soma

Yeah, sorry for the confusion - I did read the announcement post for jQueryDataTables, but when it came to upgrading ModulesManager, I apparently didn't put two and two together! So I can't read and apparently can't add up either :)

I am really impressed. Thank you very much!

Just a small idea: I would love to have an easy option to filter the list to show only those modules which are installed and need an update.

<dreaming> And if there was a weekly reminder mail about outdated modules (like Drupal does it), my live as admin would be even easier. </dreaming>

• Like 1

I am really impressed. Thank you very much!

Just a small idea: I would love to have an easy option to filter the list to show only those modules which are installed and need an update.

<dreaming> And if there was a weekly reminder mail about outdated modules (like Drupal does it), my live as admin would be even easier. </dreaming>

You can filter them already enter "new version".

About updates: The only thing would be using lazy cron to trigger something, that refreshes cache and looks for new versions. I can take a look at how exactly. Shouldn't be too much work. I like the idea.

I think it's not something I want to use, cause most of the time updates to modules aren't really necessary to always update. Only if there's a security fix or other fix. Also some updates or more critical updates shouldn't be done on a live productive site anyway.

What I also see possible is a general feed from modules.processwire.com one could subscribe to with updates.

• Like 2

Sounds cool! Didn't notice the "new version" filter works.

Updating modules is mostly about possible included security fixes and also for keeping up with the ongoing rapid changes with the PW DEV admin-template changes.

Since the main reason for using the module is looking for new versions (is this correct?) a shortcut would be nice, like a button, so that this feature becomes more obvious, i.m.h.o.

Other cool searches would be: "Latest Additions" and "User Favorites" - as shown on the PW website.

Drupal handles updates like this: You can subscribe to infos about updates of your installed modules from within the module manager settings, so you don't need to check yourself. That helps when maintaining many websites. - Special security alerts are sent by the Drupal team manually to subscribed users (and not by a module). Mails arrive if a security update of a module or the core becomes necessary. The mail gives some details about the problem as well as a severity ranking.

It's not only about "updates" it's about conveniently search download and install modules.

It's also not about core features updates.

Latest Additions is always the one on top, sorted by "Added".

User favorites is not in feed, but likes, which is shown already.

I'm working on a ModulesManagerNotification module for ModulesManager that you can install if you like and specify the lazy cron interval. Just need to test a little more.

• Like 1

Ok there you go.

Just added a new module to ModulesManager 2.1.0. You'll just need to update the ModulesManager, after that you'll find the new module ready to install.

Modules Manager Notification 0.1.0

• Sends out update information for installed modules to an email
  • This module required LazyCron core module installed
  • Note this is something you want to run like once a week
  • When the lazy cron is running the request will be blocked for a few second, this is currently due to how the lazy cron works. Maybe we will be able to optimize this in future.

After install you need to define the interval, an recipient email, subject and optional a "from" email address. There's also a checkbox to activate/deactivate the module running the lazy cron job.

Note that this requires someone to hit your website (or admin) to get executed, so interval times can vary.

It will then refresh the module feed from modules.processwire.com on your installation and check for new modules. If any found it will send out an email notification to the email specified in the form of:

Found following updates for installed modules:

Module: TextformatterHannaCode v0.1.4
Found new version available: v0.1.5
More infos at: http://modules.processwire.com/modules/process-hanna-code/
––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

Module: InputfieldCKEditor v1.1.3
Found new version available: v1.1.4
More infos at: http://modules.processwire.com/modules/inputfield-ckeditor/
––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

It will also save a notification log modulesmanager_notification_log.txt  with an entry when the lazy cron was executed in your site/assets/logs/ folder.
  • Like 11

Edit: this message was written before reading posts above and makes no sense anymore.. weird things going on with cache, I think. Anyway, thanks Soma, problem solved!  :)

Edited by teppo

Soma: edited my previous post. Didn't see couple of latest posts until after writing that (and also misread some points), so you can simply forget most of that now..   :)

By the way, Modules Manager Notification looks awesome! :)

Edited by teppo
  • Like 1

updated to new version of ModuleManager (v 210). Looks very nice!

3 more strings to check:

line 499:
	$status = $this->_('found:') . ' ' . $local_version;
line 508:
	$status = '<span class="ui-state-installed">' .$this->_('installed:') . ' ' . $local_version . '</span><br/>';
line 514:
	$status = '<span class="ui-state-installed">' .$this->_('installed:') . ' ' . $local_version . '</span><br/>';

The other strings (Search, Show.. entries, Pagination) are from JqueryDataTables?

EDIT:

one more string in ModulesManagerNotification.module

line 155:
        $field->label = __('Activate Module');
Edited by Manfred62
  • Like 1

Hey Soma,

Just noticed that with the new modal installation dialog, things can get a little crowded with the config settings for some modules, in particular my Custom Upload Names. I am wondering if you'd consider making the modal window larger - perhaps most of the window - maybe 95% width and 95% height - just enough of a reduction that it is still obvious that it's a popup. The alternative, in the case of my module anyway, might be to not float the settings side by side. If you think it's better to keep it small, then I'll look into that possibility.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm having a small problem with downloading the All In One Minify module. I suspect it's because there's a + sign at the end of the filename. I get a download error through the Modules Manager which replaced the + with a space:

File could not be downloaded https://github.com/FlipZoomMedia/ProcessWire-AIOM-All-In-One-Minify/archive/AIOM .zip

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

module manager worked great until I upgraded to the latest version after upgrading from pw2.3-2.4 and upgrading to the latest module manager at the same time I kept getting:

"500 Internal Server Error"

Note: old module manager worked under 2.4.

I searched though my logs but an not finding anything in the porcessiwre error log or my apache error log.

every once in a while the page does load with the words "processings..." and "loading..." by the module table

when look at my js console it says "502 bad gateway"

90% of the time I just get the error 500 and don't even see the module manager table. 

I have tried setting max redirects from 0-25

and limit from 0-200

------------------------------------

Please let me know if there is anything I can do to provide better debug information. 

This module is amazing and just want to give so much thanks for all the hard work that went into it. 

Not sure about the 500 error, but have you made sure to get the new version of the modules manager? Before you upgrade to it, you need to install this module first:

http://modules.processwire.com/modules/jquery-data-tables/

Hope that fixes things for you. 

EDIT: Just reread what you wrote and I see that you have already installed the latest version of MM. I don't think it would install without jquery-data-tables so that probably isn't the issue afterall. Sorry for the bad advise :)