Modules Directory

ryan

I was supposed to have jury duty today, and they didn't need me. Since I'd already rescheduled today's client work, I decided it was a good time to finally get a start on the PW modules directory.

Here it is: http://modules.processwire.com

I just added that DNS host so may not be active everywhere yet.

There are only a few of my own modules and a couple admin themes in there at present. I need your help populating it (see below).

This is just a start, and I've only had a day to work on it. I've got plenty more planned for it and appreciate any feedback you have.

How to add your modules

For those that have created modules, admin themes or language packs, I need your help populating the directory. When you get to the directory, you can click "Add New Module" in the sidebar and it will take you to a screen where you can add it. You assign an email and password with each module you add so that you can return to make updates as often as you'd like. When you add a module, it puts it in a pending state just so that I can keep out the spam. It emails me when you add a new one, so I'll approve any modules you add asap. Though you view your own module page and continue to make as many edits as you want to regardless of whether it's approved.

Nikola and Soma: I put in one each of your admin themes for testing purposes. I've associated these with your email accounts. To modify your admin theme pages in the modules directory, click "edit" on it and scroll to the bottom in "Authentication" and click the link to retrieve your password. Enter your email address and it'll send it to you.

• Like 9

Nico, sorry about that. Can you tell me the module title and class name, exactly as entered?

[edit] so far tried lots of things, but can't duplicate a 404. I have a feeling it's tied to class name or title, but can't tell for sure. Let me know how to duplicate when you get a chance.

• would be nice to have a link to the author on "By soma"
  • would be nice to have a category "Admin Helper" or something like it.

I'll continue to add all my modules. :)

Edit: Also some number to see how many! ;)

Nico, sorry about that. Can you tell me the module title and class name, exactly as entered?

[edit] so far tried lots of things, but can't duplicate a 404. I have a feeling it's tied to class name or title, but can't tell for sure. Let me know how to duplicate when you get a chance.

It happened for me once I pressed enter before entering all. It throwed validation errors and after filling in and hit submit it showed a 404, so I had to enter all again, but so far 14 modules have been successful.

If you like Ryan I'll finally tidy up my forum integration module and you could have comments tied into the forums as well as be able to auto-link it to the current forum user? I use it to auto-create users in PW as well but I just need time to finish that bit off properly.

Or it could wait for a version 2.

Thanks all for the feedback!

would be nice to have a link to the author on "By soma"

would be nice to have a category "Admin Helper" or something like it.

These have been added, along with some other updates.

It happened for me once I pressed enter before entering all. It throwed validation errors and after filling in and hit submit it showed a 404, so I had to enter all again, but so far 14 modules have been successful.

Thanks, this helped me to pinpoint and fix the problem. It just occurred when the first submission resulted in a validation error. Then the next submission would to go a 404. This has now been fixed!

If you like Ryan I'll finally tidy up my forum integration module and you could have comments tied into the forums as well as be able to auto-link it to the current forum user? I use it to auto-create users in PW as well but I just need time to finish that bit off properly.

Thanks, I agree and am looking forward to working with you on this. I've been hoping to get some kind of forum integration into modules.processwire.com so that it can authenticate them automatically. Ideally, I'd just like some way to do this:

$username = ipboard_username(); 
if($username) {
 // user is logged into IPBoard and we let them edit any modules
 // that were created by the same username
} else {
 // user is not logged into ipboard
 // so we don't let them add/edit modules
}

Right now the 'add module' form collects their IPBoard username but they have to type it in. I figured we could use this for building more IPBoard->Modules site integration in the future.

This week I would like to be able to link to their IPBoard profile, if it's possible. So far I can't figure out how to do it, as IPBoard apparently requires not just the username but a numeric ID in a profile's URL? LIke this: http://processwire.com/talk/user/2-ryan/ (note the /2-ryan/). Are you aware of any way to link to a user profile when all we have is the user name?

Thanks,

Ryan

I'll send you over something that does just that later on as that's relatively easy. There are a few internal

IPB functions along the lines of getMember that I think take an ID or name and return the user's details which is what I use to build those URLs myself. I can then leave out the other functions that I'm not quite happy with until I've properly checked them.

Btw, I just wanted to mention to everyone that I would add your modules to the directory myself if I could. But currently it authenticates with the creator, so anything that I add, the author wouldn't be able to edit.

I just didn't want anyone to think I didn't value a module because I didn't post it in the directory. The reality is that I can only post my own modules, Soma can only post his own modules, etc. This is the only way I know of to give each module author control over their own listings.

@Pete: Regarding IPBoard, is it a problem that modules.processwire.com is running on a separate account and IP address? It's still running on the same server, but I've jailed it into it's own account, separate from the main PW site, just as a matter of good security practice. Does this create any challenges?

Ryan would it be possible to have a webservice for all modules listed to be able to recieve a json or xml with some or all of the infos/links/version etc. This way I could get a modules manager running I'm trying to do.

Just to make sure I understand, are you asking for the modules directory to publish a JSON/XML feed, or import from one? I know you said "receive", which makes me think import, but you mentioned a modules manager (sounds awesome!) which makes me think you need a feed to read from. But the answer either way is yes. :) However, I could setup the directory to export/publish it's data to a feed a lot quicker than I could set it up to import it's data from another feed. If you need a feed to read from, I may even be able to get it going later today.

• Like 1

Ryan, this, and the whole of PW just reeks of awesomeness! Unfortunately i'm not in a position where i can promote PW in way that would actually matter, so you better set something up so we can contribute in a monetary fashion. You deserve some Euro's coming your way for the pleasure i've had working with PW.

• Like 4

ryan - The module for IP Board would need to read files from the forum directory (it initialises and uses various classes) so I'm not sure how we could work around that.

I can send you what I've got shortly and you can have a look though.

@Sinnut thanks! you are way too kind.

@Pete we should still be able to read from the same dir even if they aren't on the same account -- just a unix permissions adjustment which I'm sure I can figure out.

@Soma Here's a web service:

http://modules.processwire.com/export-json/

Use API key: pw223

Let me know if there's anything else I can add to it.

Love all of this - I've uploaded my modules :)

I think there are only a very few things I'd suggest adding (that may also cause you a headache! :P):

1. The ability to upload images for illustration/instruction purposes
  2. The ability to link to a YouTube or Vimeo video
  3. A download counter

Other than that it's all very good.

My only other thought is that it asks you to enter your forum name as it appears in the forums, but your name appears lowercase after you submit the module. Am I right in assuming it's creating a ProcessWire user account? In that case wouldn't it make sense to have another field in the user template called "forum display name" or something like that?