dadish

GraphQL for ProcessWire

@Nurguly Ashyrov Hi, is there a way to add images/files to a page with the updatePage method ? If not, do you plan to implement it or do I have to do this another way ?

Thanks again :)

• Like 2

16 hours ago, mvdesign said:

@Nurguly Ashyrov Hi, is there a way to add images/files to a page with the updatePage method ? If not, do you plan to implement it or do I have to do this another way ?

Unfortunately not yet. I am planning to implement them. But I am a bit busy now and it would definitely take some time to implement it. For now, you will have to do it some other way. Sorry :( 

• Like 2

When I go to GraphiQl interface, selector argument for template fields does not appear to be optional as it's in the screencast. However, if I provide a selector, it works as expected. Do I need to set up something on backend?

How it looks on my GraphiQL:

mine.png.cc4f36341789f0adda896e40f4986af4.png

How it is in the screencast

screencast.png.9569ef1df452db72361faac3b40dbbe9.png

• Like 1

13 hours ago, abdus said:

When I go to GraphiQl interface, selector argument for template fields does not appear to be optional as it's in the screencast. However, if I provide a selector, it works as expected. Do I need to set up something on backend?

Hi @abdus. You are good to go actually. The argument is required only when there is an exclamation mark after it. It does not have to be = false. Sorry for the confusion, the way I explain it in screencast is a bit misleading. To sum it up, if there is an exclamation mark "!" at the end, it means it is required, of not then it is optional. The = false part means, the default value is false. I know, it sounds stupid. It was a bug in the library I used for this module. I updated it to the latest version since the screencast and now it shows correctly. The = false part is actually is a bug in older version of the module. You probably installed the latest version which shows correctly.

So, your version is actually is the way it supposed to be. The version in the screencast is a bit misleading, but still correct.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nurguly Ashyrov said:

Hi @abdus. You are good to go actually. The argument is required only when there is an exclamation mark after it. It does not have to be = false. Sorry for the confusion, the way I explain it in screencast is a bit misleading. To sum it up, if there is an exclamation mark "!" at the end, it means it is required, of not then it is optional. The = false part means, the default value is false. I know, it sounds stupid. It was a bug in the library I used for this module. I updated it to the latest version since the screencast and now it shows correctly. The = false part is actually is a bug in older version of the module. You probably installed the latest version which shows correctly.

So, your version is actually is the way it supposed to be. The version in the screencast is a bit misleading, but still correct.

Thanks for the clarification. The problem is that if I dont specify any selector, I get empty array, also an error

chrome_2017-04-06_15-50-19.thumb.png.00e9aa75f76ebead5470e0a37f80b24b.png

But if I specify a selector, it all works fine

chrome_2017-04-06_15-53-01.thumb.png.cbbe96957338cba8f6b242264d8e3940.png

I'm not sure if this is the expected behavior.

20 hours ago, abdus said:

Thanks for the clarification. The problem is that if I dont specify any selector, I get empty array, also an error

I'm not sure if this is the expected behavior.

Well now I am embarrassed. :( So sorry. It turns out upgrading to the latest graphql library broke some stuff. For some reason I did not check the queries without the selectors. I made some fixes. This should solve your problem. Please get the latest version and try again.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Nurguly Ashyrov said:

This should solve your problem

Thanks a lot for the changes, it works without a problem now :)

Also, is it possible for you to add some hookable functions to the module so that we can add custom queries and mutations? Inside Schema::build(), query and mutation fields are defined, maybe split build() method into ___getMutations and ___getQueries, then we can modify $event->returns inside hooks to add our own fields? Something like this maybe:

<?php
// maybe build parameters in 
// /ProcessGraphQL/ProcessGraphQL.module

public function ___getQueries() {
  // build an assc. array of FieldInterface objects
  return [...];
}

public function ___getMutations() {
  // build an assc. array of FieldInterface objects
  return [...];
}

public function executeGraphQL()
{
  // instantiating Processor and setting the schema

$schema = new Schema($this->___getQueries(), $this->___getMutations());
  $processor = new Processor($schema);

// ...
}

then inside Schema.php you would just use the provided fields.

<?php
class Schema extends AbstractSchema {
    private $queries = [];
    private $mutations = [];

public function __construct($queries, $mutations)
    {
        // populate fields, perform checks etc
    }

public function build(SchemaConfig $config)
    {
        $moduleConfig = Utils::moduleconfig();
        $query = $config->getQuery();
        $mutation = $config->getMutation();

// add other query fields
        $query->addFields($this->queries);
        $mutation->addFields($this->mutations);
    }
}

It's a proof of concept, needs better separation of concerns etc, but it should work, why wouldn't it.

• Like 1

Or maybe use $moduleConfig instead of causing fragmentation.

<?php // Schema.php
public function build(SchemaConfig $config)
{
	// $moduleConfig is an instance of ProcessGraphQL module
	$moduleConfig = Utils::moduleconfig();
	$customQueries = $moduleConfig->___getQueries();
	$customMutations = $moduleConfig->___getMutations();

$query = $config->getQuery();
	$mutation = $config->getMutation();

$query->addFields($customQueries);
	$mutation->addFields($customQueries);
	// then populate your own fields etc.
}

On 4/8/2017 at 4:58 AM, abdus said:

Also, is it possible for you to add some hookable functions to the module so that we can add custom queries and mutations?...

Done! :)

The latest version now allows you to hook into getQuery & getMutation methods of the ProcessGraphQL class. Those hooks are solely there so you could modify the query and mutation operations. Here how it might look like in your template file.

<?php namespace ProcessWire;
use Youshido\GraphQL\Type\Scalar\StringType;

$processGraphQL = $modules->get('ProcessGraphQL');

wire()->addHookAfter('ProcessGraphQL::getQuery', function ($event) {
    $query = $event->return;

$query->addField('hello', [
        'type' => new StringType(),
        'resolve' => function () {
            return 'world!';
        }
    ]);
});

echo $processGraphQL->executeGraphQL();

The above code will add a hello field into your GraphQL query that responds with the string "world!". You'll have to use the Youshido\GraphQL library that ProcessGraphQL module uses internally. The same thing could be done with the mutation operation via getMutation  hook method.

• Like 4

@Nurguly Ashyrov I am trying to build a mutation field for mailing list subscription that takes in email address and returns status code and error messages, if any. 

<?php namespace ProcessWire;
// /site/templates/graphql.php

use ProcessWire\Api\SubscriptionField;
require_once '../modules/ProcessGraphQL/vendor/autoload.php';

$processGraphQL = modules()->get('ProcessGraphQL');

wire()->addHookAfter('ProcessGraphQL::getMutation', function ($event) {
    $query = $event->return;
    $query->addField(new SubscriptionField());
});

echo $processGraphQL->executeGraphQL();

Here's my SubscriptionField definition

Spoiler

<?php namespace Processwire\Api;
// /site/templates/api/SubscriptionField.php

use Youshido\GraphQL\Config\Field\FieldConfig;
// others

class SubscriptionField extends AbstractField
{
    public function getType()
    {
        return new SubscriptionType();
    }

public function resolve($value, array $args, ResolveInfo $info)
    {
        return [
            'statusCode' => 200,
            'errors' => [
                'no error'
            ]
        ];
    }

public function build(FieldConfig $config)
    {
        $config->addArgument('email', new NonNullType(new StringType()));
    }
}

and my SubscriptionType class

Spoiler

<?php namespace ProcessWire\Api;
// /site/templates/api/SubscriptionType.php
use Youshido\GraphQL\Type\ListType\ListType;
// others

class SubscriptionType extends AbstractObjectType
{

public function getName()
    {
        return 'Subscription';
    }

public function build($config)
    {
        $config->addField('statusCode', [
            'type' => new NonNullType(new IntType()),
            'description' => 'The subscription status code. E.g. 200 if successful.',
            'resolve' => function ($value) {
                return (integer)$value->statusCode;
            }
        ]);

$config->addField('errors', [
            'type' => new ListType(new StringType()),
            'description' => 'Human readable subscription errors. E.g. "Added to list!"',
            'resolve' => function ($value) {
                return (string)$value->errors;
            }
        ]);
    }

}

When I open the GraphiQL console, I get this error

chrome_2017-04-09_17-44-58.png.e7445fbe2fd0a032a0fcf2d9444d5ce0.png

I am not sure why PHP can't find the class, any ideas?

When I manually require field class (require_once 'api/SubscriptionField.php';), it resolves the class, but then cannot resolve others (error: Class 'Youshido\GraphQL\Field\AbstractField' not found)

@abdus First of all you don't need to import ProcesGraphQL's vendor.php file. It is done automatically when you do 

Second is, I don't see where you include your /site/templates/api/SubscriptionField.php file into graphql.php. So replace the 

with

require_once "./api/SubscriptionType.php";

in your graphql.php and it should work.

Also, your SubscriptionField class requires the public function getName().

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Nurguly Ashyrov said:

@abdus First of all you don't need to import ProcesGraphQL's vendor.php file. It is done automatically when you do 

Second is, I don't see where you include your /site/templates/api/SubscriptionField.php file into graphql.php. So replace the 

with

require_once "./api/SubscriptionType.php";

in your graphql.php and it should work.

Also, your SubscriptionField class requires the public function getName().

Thanks for the guidance @Nurguly Ashyrov. The problem was that I wasn't including calling the module (and therefore not autoloading GraphQL classes) before I included mine. That was why it wasn't resolving.

<?php
// CORRECT
require_once 'api/SubscriptionField.php';
require_once 'api/SubscriptionType.php';

// INCORRECT
require_once 'api/SubscriptionField.php';
require_once 'api/SubscriptionType.php';

For reference here's a simple mutation field implementation

<?php
wire()->addHookAfter('ProcessGraphQL::getMutation', function ($event) {
    $query = $event->return;
    $query->addField('log', [
      	// define return object under type
        'type' => new ObjectType([
            'name' => 'Log',
            'fields' => [
                'result' => [
                    'type' => new StringType()
                ]
            ]
        ]),
      	// available arguments for the query
        'args' => [
            'text' => new StringType()
        ],
      	// what to do with the request
        'resolve' => function ($value, $args) {
            // process given input
          	// return object outline should be same as 'type'
            return [
                'result' => 'done. ' . $args['text']
            ];
        }
    ]);
});

When you refresh GraphiQL console, you get your new field!

graphql.thumb.png.b670200b517c7563e5330a441fa3c9de.png

• Like 5

Hi,

I just tried the module and get a JSON.parse Error because the query responded  this error:.

EDIT: Running on PHP 7.1 on Heroku and ext-mbstring was missing. I installed it and the error is away :-)

Fatal error: Uncaught Error: Call to undefined function Youshido\GraphQL\Parser\mb_strlen() in /app/site/modules/ProcessGraphQL/vendor/youshido/graphql/src/Parser/Token.php:63
Stack trace:
#0 /app/site/modules/ProcessGraphQL/vendor/youshido/graphql/src/Parser/Tokenizer.php(184): Youshido\GraphQL\Parser\Token->__construct('identifier', 2, 7, 'pages')
#1 /app/site/modules/ProcessGraphQL/vendor/youshido/graphql/src/Parser/Tokenizer.php(134): Youshido\GraphQL\Parser\Tokenizer->scanWord()
#2 /app/site/modules/ProcessGraphQL/vendor/youshido/graphql/src/Parser/Tokenizer.php(33): Youshido\GraphQL\Parser\Tokenizer->scan()
#3 /app/site/modules/ProcessGraphQL/vendor/youshido/graphql/src/Parser/Tokenizer.php(320): Youshido\GraphQL\Parser\Tokenizer->next()
#4 /app/site/modules/ProcessGraphQL/vendor/youshido/graphql/src/Parser/Parser.php(96): Youshido\GraphQL\Parser\Tokenizer->lex()
#5 /app/site/modules/ProcessGraphQL/vendor/youshido/graphql/src/Parser/Parser.php(42): Youshido\GraphQL\Parser\Parser->parseBody()
#6 /app/site/modules/Pro in /app/site/modules/ProcessGraphQL/vendor/youshido/graphql/src/Parser/Token.php on line 63

Error:     Uncaught Error: Call to undefined function Youshido\GraphQL\Parser\mb_strlen() in /app/site/modules/ProcessGraphQL/vendor/youshido/graphql/src/Parser/Token.php:63
Stack trace:
#0 /app/site/modules/ProcessGraphQL/vendor/youshido/graphql/src/Parser/Tokenizer.php(184): Youshido\GraphQL\Parser\Token->__construct('identifier', 2, 7, 'pages')
#1 /app/site/modules/ProcessGraphQL/vendor/youshido/graphql/src/Parser/Tokenizer.php(134): Youshido\GraphQL\Parser\Tokenizer->scanWord()
#2 /app/site/modules/ProcessGraphQL/vendor/youshido/graphql/src/Parser/Tokenizer.php(33): Youshido\GraphQL\Parser\Tokenizer->scan()
#3 /app/site/modules/ProcessGraphQL/vendor/youshido/graphql/src/Parser/Tokenizer.php(320): Youshido\GraphQL\Parser\Tokenizer->next()
#4 /app/site/modules/ProcessGraphQL/vendor/youshido/graphql/src/Parser/Parser.php(96): Youshido\GraphQL\Parser\Tokenizer->lex()
#5 /app/site/modules/ProcessGraphQL/vendor/youshido/graphql/src/Parser/Parser.php(42): Youshido\GraphQL\Parser\Parser->parseBody()
#6 /app/site/modules/Pro (line 63 of /app/site/modules/ProcessGraphQL/vendor/youshido/graphql/src/Parser/Token.php) 

This error message was shown because: site is in debug mode. ($config->debug = true; => /site/config.php). Error has been logged. 

hi @Nurguly Ashyrov, I am planning to use this module to share content from one site to another. I got it up and running on my staging server but I would like to restrict access to the API data. How would you set up authentication to consume GraphQL data remotely?

Thx
Rudy

I Just played around with it a little. Looks awesome so far! It would be great if PageTable was supported, or is it already possible with a workaround?

On 9/28/2017 at 2:32 AM, Rudy said:

How would you set up authentication to consume GraphQL data remotely?

Hey, Rudy! I couldn't fully understand your use case. I guess you want to restrict access to certain entities, like your other site. It is very easy to restrict access to certain ip address. Just before serving GraphQL API you could check for the requested entities ip address and behave accordingly. For example:

<?php
if ($_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'] == 123.234.34.1 ) {
  echo $modules->get('ProcessGraphQL')->executeGraphQL();
} else {
  echo 'Access Denied';
}

I can't say for sure if that's what you are asking though. If not, please give more details on what you are trying to achieve.

• Like 1

@Nurguly Ashyrov,

Your solution is actually quite simple and should work in my current case. A proper authentication (oAuth or JWT or even a simple token exchange) would be ideal.

My current use case: I have a master PW website with all the content. I also have 5 other websites that draw content from the master site. Essentially I want to treat the master site as an API server, serving data via GraphQL.

Thx
Rudy 

2 hours ago, thomasaull said:

I Just played around with it a little. Looks awesome so far! It would be great if PageTable was supported, or is it already possible with a workaround?

PageTable is not supported yet. To be honest I am very busy right now and don't have much time to update this module. So I can't say when additional features will be added. Until then, you'll have to figure out your own way. Sorry :) 

• Like 1

Hi @Nurguly Ashyrov, this looks like a great module - thank you for developing it!

I'm a complete noob to the world of GraphQL, and have been trying for two days to get this module running in combination with Ember.js. If I could get it to work, it sure would be a glorious combination. But so far it has been pretty frustrating :o

One thing that I keep running into, is that your implementation always returns an array of pages, using the 'list' field* inside the query.
However, this makes it impossible to request a single page. Even when using something like limit=1 in the selector. 

For instance, I could imagine this to work fine

{
  basic_page(s: "name:contact") {
    first {
      id
      name
    }
  }
}

Which then could return 

{
    "data": {
        "basic_page": {
            "first": {
                "id": "1017",
                "name": "contact"
            }
        }
    }
}

Basically, any of PW's regular PageArray methods to find something would be a welcome addition ( ie. ->eq(n), ->get(selector), ->first(), ->last(), etc.)

Is this something I can achieve with the getQuery hook? Or in another way?
Thanks in advance for any pointers or help. 

(* I have to say, this use of the field keyword is very confusing for a long time PW user). 

• Like 1

Hey everyone!

It's been a while since I last had a time to work on this module. But now I finally managed to focus on this module. So here are the latest updates.

The codebase of the module grew very big and the more features I added the more time I had to spend to make sure the changes I made does not break anything. Because I had to manually verify if everything works as expected. After long night hours of trial and error I managed to setup tests for this module. Tests will help us quickly add/remove features as needed, because now there is no need for manually verifying all edge cases. Also I setup the Travis-CI so people can contribute more confidently and I can merge pull requests without worrying! There are already bunch of tests, but there is still some I'll be adding.

🎉 ProcessGraphQL.svg?branch=master 🎉

I will add some documentation on how to run tests locally in github wiki pages soon and let you know here.

Another thing to note is that the master branch of our module no longer tracks the vendor code. This means that if you download the master branch and put it into your /site/modules directory it will not work. Instead you should use release builds that are a cleaned version of the module. It includes required vendor codes and does not have extra files that are not relevant to ProcessWire. Like presentation gif images, test files and so on. This makes the module size smaller!

• Like 14
  • Thanks 3

On 10/2/2017 at 10:13 PM, eelkenet said:

Hi @Nurguly Ashyrov, this looks like a great module - thank you for developing it!

I'm a complete noob to the world of GraphQL, and have been trying for two days to get this module running in combination with Ember.js. If I could get it to work, it sure would be a glorious combination. But so far it has been pretty frustrating :o

One thing that I keep running into, is that your implementation always returns an array of pages, using the 'list' field* inside the query.
However, this makes it impossible to request a single page. Even when using something like limit=1 in the selector. 

For instance, I could imagine this to work fine

{
  basic_page(s: "name:contact") {
    first {
      id
      name
    }
  }
}

Which then could return 

{
    "data": {
        "basic_page": {
            "first": {
                "id": "1017",
                "name": "contact"
            }
        }
    }
}

Basically, any of PW's regular PageArray methods to find something would be a welcome addition ( ie. ->eq(n), ->get(selector), ->first(), ->last(), etc.)

Is this something I can achieve with the getQuery hook? Or in another way?
Thanks in advance for any pointers or help. 

(* I have to say, this use of the field keyword is very confusing for a long time PW user). 

Hey @eelkenet!
That seems reasonable to me. I was planning to add those fields. Didn't have time till now. I'll let you know as soon as I implement them.

You won't be able to add those fields via getQuery hook btw. The getQuery hook is there for very trivial custom fields to be honest. Like your api version number, or your contact data or anything you want to send via GraphQL api without creating templates, fields and pages for it.

• Like 2

More updates!

Here is what was added since my last post:

• FieldtypeDatetime now supports format argument. Which allows you to pass PHP date format string and retrieve your datetime values formatted the way you want. Besides FieldtypeDatetime fields, the built-in fields created and modified are also support new format argument.
  • FieldtypeOptions is now supported.
  • first and last fields on PageArray types are now supported. As per @eelkenet's request. See above post for details on those.
  • Finally, now there is a way to add support for any fieldtype you want via third-party module. What you need to do is create a module with the name exactly as the fieldtype you want to add support for with "GraphQL" prefix. So for FieldtypeMapMarker it would be GraphQLFieldtypeMapMarker. Then you need to add three required methods and install it. This will automatically add GraphQL support for your desired fieldtype and it will be available in your GraphQL api. Checkout the documentation and an example module for reference.
Edited by dadish
Updated to reflect changes in naming rules. See post after this.
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 1