GraphQL for ProcessWire

dadish

1 hour ago, DavidBerlin said:

Children results work with "name" instead of "title"...

The children results only have with built-in page fields. They don't have template fields. You have to make sure the field title exists in GraphiQL before querying it. When you go to Setup -> GraphQL and enter the above query it will tell you that there is no "title" field for children list. If the field is not in your GraphQL schema you cannot query it.

If you want to query your task pages with template fields like title, you can set them as a Page field like you do with your job_client field. That way your tasks will have all the template fields you enabled.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

dadish,

First, thank you for this wonderful module, it's been awesome working with GraphQL.

The problem: I have a field where the type is "Page Reference" and the input field type is "Page Auto Complete". In the details tab, the "Multiple pages PageArray" is selected.

If I only have one page reference, then it will return the result as expected using the "list". However, if I have multiple page references, then it will not display any results at all. Can you let me know if there is something I am doing wrong or is this is a bug/feature that needs to be worked?

All the best!

• Like 1

Hi @dadish,

I'm upgrading a site to use the latest version of this module.

I'm having trouble with a page reference field when creating a new page with a mutation.

Before, I was using a mutation with variables like this:

mutation ($page: ConfiguratorQuoteUpdateInput!) {
  createConfiguratorQuote(page: $page) {
    id
  }
}

variables: {
  "page": {
    "name": "test-quote",
    "title": "Tets Quote",
    "parent": "22905",
    "colour": [10392] // this is the page reference field
  }
}

I noticed the field now uses the type InputfieldPage rather than [ID] and there are add and remove fields inside this InputfieldPage field.

I have tried formatting the variables in a couple of ways and I see this error in graphqil:

// "debugMessage": "Method NullPage::add does not exist or is not callable in this context",

// When using either of these

"title": "Test Quote",
    "colour": {
      "add": 10392
    }
  }
}

"add": [10392]
    }
  }
}

Can you advise how I should be adding page reference fields? I have checked the page template and fields are legal, they return without issue in queries for existing pages.

Many thanks,

Tom

• Like 1

@sodesign

First, I want to clarify some stuff. You are saying that you want to create a page and using a mutation field "createConfiguratorQuote" but supplying it with "ConfiguratorQuoteUpdateInput" which is an incorrect input type. You should supply "ConfiguratorQuoteCreateInput" for creating and "ConfiguratorQuoteUpdateInput" for updating a page.

The "add" and "remove" for page references always expects an array of ids. So your latest format for variables is correct for creating a page. Just change UpdateInput type to CreateInput type.

But, if you're trying to update a page then "page" input variable should include "id" field. It should look like this...

"id" : 11111, // <=== you should tell which page you're trying to update.
      "add": [10392]
    }
  }
}

Let me know if I'm missing something.

• Like 2

On 1/15/2020 at 6:53 AM, dadish said:

Hello @Brett.

Thank you for your feedback! I was able to reproduce your issue and hopefully tracked down the bug. Please, install the latest version and give it a try. Let me know if the issue is resolved for you.

New Release 1.1.3

- Fixed bug with FieldtypePage returning only single value.

I can confirm that 1.1.4 fixed the issue we were having. Thank you for getting back so quickly. ?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, dadish said:

@sodesign

Ok, I think I found the problem. I was able to get the same error as yours and patched the module to fix it, just now. Try the latest version and let me know if the issue is resolved for you.

New Release 1.1.4

- Fix FieldtypePage bug when FieldtypePage:derefAsPageOrNullPage option is enabled.

Just updated and the issue is fixed, thank you for such a speedy patch!

• Like 1

On 1/17/2020 at 9:36 PM, sodesign said:

One other small thing - can you add support for the built in 'title' field in the Page type? 

I tried this locally editing the getBuiltInFields() function at line 41 in src/Type/PageType.php

I understand why you are asking for this feature. You're not the first one. But it's not as obvious as it seems. The 'title' field is not the same as all other built-in fields. You can't modify the behavior of the built-in fields per template basis. Which means they all behave the same no matter what template the page has. That's why we have a generic type 'Page' that has all the built-in fields. No matter what template the page we can confidently serve those fields for every page.

The 'title' field's behavior could change depending on the template. I understand that it is almost never the case, but semantically it is. For example, you can set different access settings for 'title' field depending on the template. You make it that user can view the 'title' on one template and not on the other. You can change the description of the field for each template and it will appear in the GraphQL documentation. You can also make 'title' field 'not required' for one template and 'required' for others.

So, including 'title' field into the Page type will break the semantics. I understand that 'title' field is almost always treated as a built-in field but I just can't overcome this feeling that it is the 'wrong' way to do it. I would like do it only the 'right' way. And the right way brings us to your second question.

22 hours ago, sodesign said:

I have one more question - do you plan to include child template fields?

If not, what is your recommendation for querying child pages?

If we implement it properly and add the ability to get the values of the template fields for generic Page types, then 'title' field should also be solved. For this we will be adding interfaces. It will allow you to get template fields for Page types by providing a template. It will look something like this.

{
  city{
    list{
      children{ # <== let's say children are the pages with template skyscraper and architect
        list{
          id
          name
          ... on SkyscraperPage { # <== you basically say: "for skyscraper pages give me these fields"
            title
            images{
              url
              width
              height
            }
          }
          ... on ArchitectPage { # <== "and for architect pages give me these fields"
            born
            email
            resume{
              url
              filesize
            }
          }
        }
      }
    }
  }
}

this way you can fetch values for all template fields on Page types. This will work with everything that returns a Page type. Including 'child', 'children', 'parent', 'parents' and Page Reference fields too. And the best part is, it will be semantically correct! ?

• Like 6

• 1 month later...

Hi! I'm getting this error when I post to /graphql:

{
    "errors": [
        {
            "message": "Syntax Error: Unexpected <EOF>",
            "extensions": {
                "category": "graphql"
            },
            "locations": [
                {
                    "line": 1,
                    "column": 1
                }
            ]
        }
    ]
}

I'm using POST with Content-Type: application/json and the post body looks like this:

{
	"query": "{ integrante { title } }"
}

When I try with GraphiQL (which posts to /processwire/setup/graphql instead of /graphql), everything works perfectly. Of course the templates are installed, field and templates access are configured, etc.

I've tried using a public GraphQL API like https://countries.trevorblades.com/ and it works fine.

What am I doing wrong? I've tried manually from Postman and also using Gatsby's gatsby-source-graphql plugin. Both get the same <EOF> error.

It's a new blank ProcessWire installation, master branch. Please help! Thanks in advance!

On 3/7/2020 at 7:19 AM, Miguel Scaramozzino said:

When I try with GraphiQL (which posts to /processwire/setup/graphql instead of /graphql), everything works perfectly. Of course the templates are installed, field and templates access are configured, etc.

Can you post the code in your graphql.php template file. My only guess is that something happening in that file.

• Like 1

On 3/8/2020 at 1:19 PM, dadish said:

Can you post the code in your graphql.php template file. My only guess is that something happening in that file.

Here it is:

<?php namespace ProcessWire;

header('Content-Type: application/json');

echo json_encode($modules->get('ProcessGraphQL')->executeGraphQL(), true);

Here's something interesting, I've created a /test.php file with the following code:

<?php
namespace ProcessWire;

require("index.php");

echo json_encode($modules->get('ProcessGraphQL')->executeGraphQL(), true);

This works fine.

So there must be something wrong with the way that the graphql template is being processed. Maybe ProcessWire is taking control of the post body before it reaches the module and this doesn't happen when you bootstrap PW from an external file?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Miguel Scaramozzino said:

So there must be something wrong with the way that the graphql template is being processed. Maybe ProcessWire is taking control of the post body before it reaches the module and this doesn't happen when you bootstrap PW from an external file?

In your graphql template file. Try manually extracting the query and variables and passing them to ProcessGraphQL. Should looks something like this.

<?php

namespace ProcessWire;

$query = $input->post->query;
$variables = $input->post->variables || [];

echo json_encode($modules->get('ProcessGraphQL')->executeGraphQL($query, $variables), true);

It might be slightly different how you extract the query but the bottom line is make sure you're getting it in your graphql template file and passing it to ProcessGraphQL.

13 hours ago, dadish said:

It might be slightly different how you extract the query but the bottom line is make sure you're getting it in your graphql template file and passing it to ProcessGraphQL.

Yes, this is the problem clearly. I've tried $input->post->query but that won't work cause it's not form-data but a json body. So I've tried file_get_contents("php://input") and it comes up empty. There must be something wrong with my PW installation, cause I've created REST APIs in the past parsing json data from php://input with no issues at all. I will try to downgrade the PW core and see what happens.

21 minutes ago, Miguel Scaramozzino said:

Yes, this is the problem clearly. I've tried $input->post->query but that won't work cause it's not form-data but a json body. So I've tried file_get_contents("php://input") and it comes up empty. There must be something wrong with my PW installation, cause I've created REST APIs in the past parsing json data from php://input with no issues at all. I will try to downgrade the PW core and see what happens.

Make sure you check nginx/apache and PHP logs as well. If memory serves me correctly, I had a similar issue do to something was blocking because of XSS. There was a server change I had to make, so keep a close eye on those logs and the developer tools on your browser.

@Miguel Scaramozzino Also, just wanted to confirm with you that you're making request to the correct url. In default PW settings "/graphql" and "/graphql/" are different. If you happen to make a request to "/graphql" (without forward slash at the end) it will be redirected to "/graphql/" and the content of your POST request gets lost in the middle.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, dadish said:

@Miguel Scaramozzino Also, just wanted to confirm with you that you're making request to the correct url. In default PW settings "/graphql" and "/graphql/" are different. If you happen to make a request to "/graphql" (without forward slash at the end) it will be redirected to "/graphql/" and the content of your POST request gets lost in the middle.

You are absolutely right sir! Adding the final slash fixes it. I've been using PW for years and I've never encountered that quirk. Thanks a lot!

18 hours ago, Miguel Scaramozzino said:

I've been using PW for years and I've never encountered that quirk.

For some reason this is an issue only with this module. You're not the first one to stumble on it. I updated the Readme to add Troubleshooting section that explains this issue in details.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...