GraphQL for ProcessWire

dadish

So I made a mistake by not taking into account the ProcessWire's module naming convention. I totally forgot the fact that if module name starts with Fieldtype it becomes a fieldtype and PW will treat it like any other fieldtype. Like it would try to let you add a new field with that fieldtype. Which we do not want for our GraphQL extension modules. I already faced bugs because of this on admin side.

So naming rule for GraphQL extension modules will be changed from suffixing the name with GraphQL to prefixing the name with GraphQL. So it is GraphQLFieldtypeMapMarker instead of FieldtypeMapMarkerGraphQL. Other than that, everything is the same as before. I'll also update the previous post to reflect this change. Sorry if this causes inconvenience to anyone.

The updated version of ProcessGraphQL that works with new rules is available for use in latest release.

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...

Wow o_O @dadish I am humbled by your excellent work here. I stumbled on this thread researching PWAs and then was transfixed for the full 37 minutes of your excellent video intro. Thank you very much indeed for all of this, I am yet again thankful for the ProcessWire community's generous and excellent work.

I've had Vue.js noted down as "something I want to use", along with using ProcessWire as/via an API, and most recently, PWAs. I am hoping, if I've not misunderstood, now I may be able to use all these together for a project.

Brilliant! \o/

• Like 7

I'm very happy you like it @alan. You definitely can use this for any single page application. That's exactly why I built this module for. Please don't hesitate to share the issues that might come up when using this module. I would love hear some feedback and maybe fix bugs if there are any.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, dadish said:

I'm very happy you like it @alan. You definitely can use this for any single page application. That's exactly why I built this module for. Please don't hesitate to share the issues that might come up when using this module. I would love hear some feedback and maybe fix bugs if there are any.

THANK you @dadish ^_^ — this; SPA + PW as an API + GraphQL for PW, for me is a milestone exciting proposition. I hope I make it the biggest thing to happen to my PW world since I read the word "ProcessWire" on the bottom generous Marty Walker's web site and first visited processwire.com.

First steps for me are reading up on PWAs and finally trying to finish a Wes Bos course on ES6, then I'm off to add in PW as an API & GraphQL. Exciting!

• Like 3

First of all, I love the module thus far. Unfortunately (for me), When I go to Setup->GraphQL, it pops up with "Loading...", but never actually loads anything . I am currently using php 5.6.30. Any idea what might be causing this? I dont currently have any errors in my console either. 

Screen Shot 2018-03-28 at 3.48.57 PM.png

27 minutes ago, louisstephens said:

First of all, I love the module thus far. Unfortunately (for me), When I go to Setup->GraphQL, it pops up with "Loading...", but never actually loads anything . I am currently using php 5.6.30. Any idea what might be causing this? I dont currently have any errors in my console either. 

Screen Shot 2018-03-28 at 3.48.57 PM.png

This one is weird. I just installed the module on Classic profile and Skyscrapers profile with latest ProccessWire. Works fine for me.

The "Loading..." is a placeholder till JavaScript kicks in. So this means the GraphiQL js assets are not loading or firing. Could you please try to see if GraphiQL works out of ProcessWire admin. You can either do that manually, using API that exposes GraphiQL in your template file. Or use GraphQL Pages generator. It's in the modules setting page. Looks like this.
5abbfa69e4934_ScreenShot2018-03-29at2_23_50AM.thumb.png.b59965ccf4237c8e0634d51515e46a63.png

Just press it and go to `/graphiql/` on your website and show us what you got there.

• Like 1

@dadish I guess I have one question in regards to actually obtain an output in templates (sorry I am really new to ajax in general). I currently have

$result = $modules->get('ProcessGraphQL')->executeGraphQL($query, $variables);

in my header of a file, but need to have an "operation" included. I was testing it out with just trying to get the title and body of the current page. I geuss I am a little unsure of how to get started with this.

Not really sure if this is the best place to post this (or if it belongs in the thread for the module itself, but if it needs to be moved please do so. I successfully got graphql set up and love how easy it makes it to query etc. 

In my endpoint, I have:

echo $modules->get('ProcessGraphQL')->executeGraphQL();

And on another page, I was testing with:

$.ajax({
		type: "POST",
		url: 'localhost/pw/graphql/',          
		data: "{ modals(s: \"title=Test-Page\") { list { id title body } } }",      

success: function(data) {
			console.log(data);
		} 
	});

However, I seem to be getting an error message returned with: "Must provide an operation.". I do apologize if I have just missed something basic (very new to ajax and how it all functions), but is there something missing from my initial request?

I get the same "loading" screen.

My browser console shows 

Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 404 ()

It looks for a file that doesn't exist: site/templates/admin/admin.js

edit: OK, I also disabled Tracy, and everything works fine.

Edited by dragan

On 4/5/2018 at 7:47 PM, louisstephens said:

Not really sure if this is the best place to post this (or if it belongs in the thread for the module itself, but if it needs to be moved please do so. I successfully got graphql set up and love how easy it makes it to query etc. 

In my endpoint, I have:

echo $modules->get('ProcessGraphQL')->executeGraphQL();

And on another page, I was testing with:

$.ajax({
		data: "{ modals(s: \"title=Test-Page\") { list { id title body } } }",      

console.log(data);
		} 
	});

However, I seem to be getting an error message returned with: "Must provide an operation.". I do apologize if I have just missed something basic (very new to ajax and how it all functions), but is there something missing from my initial request?

@louisstephens Your query should be assigned to query variable. Try to change above code like this

$.ajax({
  data: {
    query: "{ modals(s: \"title=Test-Page\") { list { id title body } } }" // <-- change here
  },  
    console.log(data);
  } 
});

• Like 1

On 4/2/2018 at 10:09 PM, chumneypwire said:

@dadish I guess I have one question in regards to actually obtain an output in templates (sorry I am really new to ajax in general). I currently have

$result = $modules->get('ProcessGraphQL')->executeGraphQL($query, $variables);

in my header of a file, but need to have an "operation" included. I was testing it out with just trying to get the title and body of the current page. I geuss I am a little unsure of how to get started with this.

You shouldn't use it to obtain output in your template file. ProcessWire already comes with the best API to access your content. The purpose of the GraphQL module is to let you access content via AJAX, using JavaScript from client side.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

@dadish

While installing the module I get 

require_once(): Failed opening required ' ... modules/ProcessGraphQL/vendor/autoload.php'

There is no 'vendor' folder on the master branch, but it exists on dev branch. Am I missing something? 

Thank @dadish for this great module. I liked this post long time ago. I just have a chance to get my hand dirty on it. It turns Processwire to a powerful headless CMS with no pain! I am going to use this in my next project with Vue.js or Nuxt.js. ?

One noob question. Could this module query and mutate session data? I have modules that read/write user, including the unsigned guests, session data. I have no idea how to make it happen using only a GraphQL end point.

8 hours ago, Zeka said:

@dadish

While installing the module I get 

require_once(): Failed opening required ' ... modules/ProcessGraphQL/vendor/autoload.php'

There is no 'vendor' folder on the master branch, but it exists on dev branch. Am I missing something? 

Hi @Zeka. You should not install the main repository of the module. The main repository of the module is intended only for development of the module. You can install the module in two ways:

• By module classname. Go to Modules -> Site -> Add New in your PW admin and write `ProcessGraphQL` in Module Class Name field and press Download and Install button.
  • By a zip file. You need to download the module for installation from the releases page of the module. There you can download a .zip file and place it's contents to the site/modules/ directory of the module.
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, Karl_T said:

Thank @dadish for this great module. I liked this post long time ago. I just have a chance to get my hand dirty on it. It turns Processwire to a powerful headless CMS with no pain! I am going to use this in my next project with Vue.js or Nuxt.js. ?

One noob question. Could this module query and mutate session data? I have modules that read/write user, including the unsigned guests, session data. I have no idea how to make it happen using only a GraphQL end point.

Hi @Karl_T.

The module has no ability to modify the session data. It only can modify PW pages. AFAIK session data is not stored as pages.

What you can do is add a custom GraphQL mutation field for modifying your session. But that would require you to learn GraphQL and the PHP library that we use. Here is how it might look like

<?php namespace ProcessWire;

use Youshido\GraphQL\Type\Scalar\BooleanType;
use Youshido\GraphQL\Type\Scalar\StringType;
use Youshido\GraphQL\Type\Scalar\IntType;
use Youshido\GraphQL\Execution\ResolveInfo;

$processGraphQL = $modules->get('ProcessGraphQL');

wire()->addHookAfter('ProcessGraphQL::getMutation', function ($event) {
    $mutation = $event->return;
    $mutation->addField('modifySessionData', [
        'type' => new BooleanType(),
        'args' => [
          'foo' => new StringType(),
          'bar' => new IntType(),
        ],
        'resolve' => function ($value, array $args, ResolveInfo $info) {
          $success = false;
		  // modify session data here...
          if ($something) {
            $success = true;
          }
          return $success;
        }
    ]);
});

echo $processGraphQL->executeGraphQL();

And then the query for this could look like this

mutation {
  modifySessionData("foo": "boblibob", "bar": 12234)
}

Haven't tried it. So there might be something I'm missing. But I hope this gives you the idea of how you can achieve what you want.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Slightly OT but worth a read:

Open Source GraphQL Engine Launched

https://www.i-programmer.info/news/197-data-mining/11962-graphql-engine-launched.html

quotes:

"The GraphQL community can harness our lightweight GraphQL-as-a-Service engine and turbocharge any of their new or existing Postgres applications."
"While this release focuses on Postgres, the plan is to add support for other databases in the future."

• 1 month later...

Love this module, but I'm concerned about the speed. In my tests, a native template returning the same records and data as the GraphQL endpoint:

Returning 20 pages and some details about  page references:

Native Template: 0.4s
GraphQL Endpoint: 3.2s

Is this performance something that could still be improved? 

• 3 weeks later...

How do you get the name of Pages from a Page Reference field? I have one called 'colors' and it only lets me get the following total, limit, start - no means to get colors -> name or title?

{
  product_single (s: "parent=X") {
    list {
      title
      product_code
			colors {
			  getTotal
			  getLimit
			  getStart
			} 
    }
  }
}

On 9/17/2018 at 8:37 PM, patricktsg said:

How do you get the name of Pages from a Page Reference field? I have one called 'colors' and it only lets me get the following total, limit, start - no means to get colors -> name or title

It should be like this

{
    list {
      title
      product_code
        colors {
          getTotal
          getLimit
          getStart
          list { // list of colors
            name // name for each color
          }
        }
      }
    }
  }
}

• Like 1

On 8/29/2018 at 3:11 AM, bcartier said:

Love this module, but I'm concerned about the speed. In my tests, a native template returning the same records and data as the GraphQL endpoint:

Returning 20 pages and some details about  page references:

Native Template: 0.4s
GraphQL Endpoint: 3.2s

Is this performance something that could still be improved? 

Unfortunately I haven't had much time in optimization for this module. I'm very busy so can't promise any timelines when this will happen. The only thing you can do now is to keep your graphql schema as small as possible by unchecking all the unwanted fields and templates in the module config page.

There is supposed to be a way to cache the schema (https://github.com/youshido-php/GraphQL/pull/37) I was planning to look into it. But never had a time for it and thus is not implemented in this module yet.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, dadish said:

It should be like this

{
    list {
      title
      product_code
        colors {
          getTotal
          getLimit
          getStart
          list { // list of colors
            name // name for each color
          }
        }
      }
    }
  }
}

Thanks for getting back to me - tried that code but I just get an empty array for the list

{
  "data": {
    "product_single": {
      "list": [
        {
          "title": "Widget",
          "product_code": "12345",
          "colour": {
            "getTotal": 1,
            "getLimit": 0,
            "getStart": 0,
            "list": []