Minify

Pete

I don't think anyone can answer that question except the person that put it there. But if there's something that says not to use it on a production site, and it's not necessary for the operation of the software, I would remove it. Though "don't use on a production site" is often just a kind way of saying "don't yell at me if something breaks."

@Macrura - Most minified files have worked for me, but now I see that setting I guess they didn't have .min in the filename.

@totoff - I just put everything on there usually as I didn't want to faff around with the core Minify directory for when I update the module, but I guess it's safe to run it without that folder. Best way to check is upload everything, check it works and then delete that folder and check it still works - not a lot can go wrong and it would be easy to put the folder back again ;)

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Updated code to v1.0.3 - this is an upgrade to the core Minify package (not my module or ProcessWire's code) to address a serious security issue.

v1.0.3 - updated Minify code to v2.1.7 which fixes a significant security flaw: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/minify/cpN-ncKPFZE/kwYVpLMkfDwJ

This update is SERIOUSLY recomended for anyone using this module!

Thanks arjen for the heads-up!

EDIT: Also worth noting that it was the main developer behind this forum software who noticed the flaw and suggested a fix to the Minify developers - I've also updated the Minify code in these forums. If you use Minify as a standalone package (ie. not this module, but the code available from the above link) elsewhere it would be worthwhile updating it wherever you have installed it.

The issue is likely to be present in other JS/CSS minify modules/plugins in other CMS' that use the code from the above link too - I've spotted at least two WordPress modules for example that use the same codebase and there may well be others, so please bear that in mind if you use other systems.

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

Hey Pete,

first things first: great plugin. Now to my lil problem: It seems, that I can't get it to work. In the admin configuration for these plugin I typed the paths in correctly but It doesn't seem to add the new fields to it.

Paths my JS/CSS are in:

/dev/proc/site/templates/_sitejs/

/dev/proc/site/templates/_sitestyles/

Can there be a problem with underscores? Thank you for your help. :)

Not sure - I seem to think that underscores just prevent folders from being visible to certain file systems or something so might be worth trying to rename them without underscores and seeing what happens?

I don't have much time right now but can make a note to look into it soon.

Not sure - I seem to think that underscores just prevent folders from being visible to certain file systems or something so might be worth trying to rename them without underscores and seeing what happens?

I don't have much time right now but can make a note to look into it soon.

Thanks... but didn't work too. :/

@visualcookie: did you insert those paths in that format exactly? As far as I know, you should insert them starting from /site/ (ie. /site/templates/_sitejs/.) Probably something you've already tried, but just making sure :)

• Like 2

@visualcookie: did you insert those paths in that format exactly? As far as I know, you should insert them starting from /site/ (ie. /site/templates/_sitejs/.) Probably something you've already tried, but just making sure :)

Big thanks teppo. You are a true hero! :D

Edited by visualcookie
  • Like 1

visualcookie please excuse this advice, not trying to be a douchey know-it-all (I certainly don't know anything close to it all), but you can show teppo the love by clicking the Like This button on his post (you probably knew and just forgot in which case ignore this post).

• Like 1

Big thanks teppo. You are a true hero! :D
visualcookie please excuse this advice, not trying to be a douchey know-it-all (I certainly don't know anything close to it all), but you can show teppo the love by clicking the Like This button on his post (you probably knew and just forgot in which case ignore this post).

I agree, but think the "you are a true hero" probably qualifies as a like, or likely something better. :)

I think there is a concern among new users that clicking "like" will send them off to Facebook and post something on their wall. :) Thankfully it's just a regular like button like those we had before facebook, and has nothing to do with facebook. 

• Like 1

I think there is a concern among new users that clicking "like" will send them off to Facebook and post something on their wall. 

Ah. That explains a lot. Famous (as I am (with my family at least)) hater of the bad joke that is the UI and UX of Facebook (regardless of any other failings it may have), I too would avoid a Like button that Facebookized my action in some way.

Could we do this? happy.png

• Like 2