Doc

How to avoid the 301/redirection on the default language ?

Hello (again),

My project is a multilanguage one.

On the homepage, I have a header menu where I display link of features, example :

<?php 
    $lg = $session->lg;
    echo $page->localHttpUrl("$lg").'dashboard'?>
?>

My website displays french by default.

The homepage is : www.website.com/ (in french default language)

The link in the code above is rendered as : www.website.com/dashboard

When I click on this link, it does a 301 -> www.website.com/fr/dashboard

dashboard is a child page of the homepage.

When I does the same in a non default language, such as 'en' / english for example, it doesn't do that 301 because the generated link in my code is www.website.com/en/dashboard

I know there is an option in the core module LanguageSupportPageName to prefix the page of the default language by 'fr' (in my case), but apparently it's not recommended.

"Choose Yes if you want the homepage of your default language to be served by the root URL / (recommended). Choose No if you want your root URL to perform a redirect to /name/ (where /name/ is the default language name of your homepage)."

Maybe it's not recommended because it's causing a 301 when you arrive the first time on the homepage (from / to /fr).

So how I could generate my link in the menu such as it displays www.website.com/fr ? I can do it by hacking some php of course, but perhaps there is a PW way to do it ?

Thanks

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By daniel_puehringer
      Hi community,

I am using the "PageTable" Module (also called "ProFields: Page Table") and the built in "Language" Module (also called "Languages Support").

With the help of PageTable I was able to create several content elements which should usually be displayed in German(default language) and English.

However some Content Elements should only be shown in German and NOT in English.

Well sounds easy, right? Not so fast. I really love this CMS, but I have not found a solution for this problem yet.
      As you can see in the screenshots attached I tried to uncheck the "active" Checkbox for the english language to completely hide the content element for english users.

However no matter what I do the german text shows on the english page.
      If I leave the "content-should-not-be-shown-in-english"(see Screenshot Number 2) blank and save the page, the page will inherit the german page url "content-element-with-simple-text-which-should-only-be-shown-in-german".

My question therefore is:
      How can I hide a specific content-element for only one language?

I´m using the latest processwire & module versions.

The code which I use to render the content elements looks like this:
      //Info: contentelements is a field of type "ProFields: Page Table" <?php foreach ($page->contentelements as $element): echo($element->render()); endforeach; ?> filename: basic-page.php

I would really appreciate your help since I haven´t found a solution after reading through quite a lot of forum posts.

All the best,
      Dani

• By humanafterall
      Hi,
      I have a URL field that will sometimes have relative/local URLs on a multilingual site, for example /contact/ 

However the URL field does not seem to pick up when I'm on another language, for example /fr/ so I'm taken to the default language page for /contact/ rather than /fr/contact/
      Is there a way to make the URL fields play well with a multi-language site?
      Thanks!

• By FireWire
      We're launching a new version of our website and I need to create redirects from old pages to their new counterparts at different URLs. An example rule that I've created is
      Redirect 301 /solar-energy-for-business /solar-energy/commercial-solar/ However when I visit the redirected URL it shows up in the address bar as:
      https://staging.renovaenergy.com/solar-energy/commercial-solar/?it=solar-energy-for-business
      We're creating these redirects for SEO purposes and they need to not have additional URL parameters being added. This line in the .htaccess file is adding the original URL as a parameter.
      RewriteRule ^(.*)$ index.php?it=$1 [L,QSA] Does ProcessWire use this parameter for a purpose? What is the best way to create these redirects without this parameter?
    • By doolak
      Hello everybody,
      on a multilanguage job website I am using the following code to show up a list of job offers. 
      The site structure is as follows:
      - stellenangebote/
      -- stellenangebote/stellenangebote_de/     
      --- jobs as child pages
      The jobs are located under /stellenangebote/stellenangebote_de/ as child pages and I want to show them up on /stellenangebote/ with the following template code:
      $stellenanzeigen = $pages->get("/stellenangebote/stellenangebote_de/"); foreach($stellenanzeigen->children('stellenanzeige_kategorie=1') as $child) { ?> <h3 class="uk-text-primary"><?php echo $child->title ?></h3> <?php } ?> This works fine for the default language (german) on /stellenangebote/ but its does not work on the french url version of this page /fr/offres-demplois/ . 
      I have no idea whats wrong - has anybody an idea?
      Cheers Christian
    • By Robin S
      A new module that hasn't had a lot of testing yet. Please do your own testing before deploying on any production website.
      Custom Paths
      Allows any page to have a custom path/URL.
      Note: Custom Paths is incompatible with the core LanguageSupportPageNames module. I have no experience working with LanguageSupportPageNames or multi-language sites in general so I'm not in a position to work out if a fix is possible. If anyone with multi-language experience can contribute a fix it would be much appreciated!
      Screenshot

Usage
      The module creates a field named custom_path on install. Add the custom_path field to the template of any page you want to set a custom path for. Whatever path is entered into this field determines the path and URL of the page ($page->path and $page->url). Page numbers and URL segments are supported if these are enabled for the template, and previous custom paths are managed by PagePathHistory if that module is installed.
      The custom_path field appears on the Settings tab in Page Edit by default but there is an option in the module configuration to disable this if you want to position the field among the other template fields.
      If the custom_path field is populated for a page it should be a path that is relative to the site root and that starts with a forward slash. The module prevents the same custom path being set for more than one page.
      The custom_path value takes precedence over any ProcessWire path. You can even override the Home page by setting a custom path of "/" for a page.
      It is highly recommended to set access controls on the custom_path field so that only privileged roles can edit it: superuser-only is recommended.
      It is up to the user to set and maintain suitable custom paths for any pages where the module is in use. Make sure your custom paths are compatible with ProcessWire's $config and .htaccess settings, and if you are basing the custom path on the names of parent pages you will probably want to have a strategy for updating custom paths if parent pages are renamed or moved.
      Example hooks to Pages::saveReady
      You might want to use a Pages::saveReady hook to automatically set the custom path for some pages. Below are a couple of examples.
      1. In this example the start of the custom path is fixed but the end of the path will update dynamically according to the name of the page:
      $pages->addHookAfter('saveReady', function(HookEvent $event) { $page = $event->arguments(0); if($page->template == 'my_template') { $page->custom_path = "/some-custom/path-segments/$page->name/"; } }); 2. The Custom Paths module adds a new Page::realPath method/property that can be used to get the "real" ProcessWire path to a page that might have a custom path set. In this example the custom path for news items is derived from the real ProcessWire path but a parent named "news-items" is removed:
      $pages->addHookAfter('saveReady', function(HookEvent $event) { $page = $event->arguments(0); if($page->template == 'news_item') { $page->custom_path = str_replace('/news-items/', '/', $page->realPath); } }); Caveats
      The custom paths will be used automatically for links created in CKEditor fields, but if you have the "link abstraction" option enabled for CKEditor fields (Details > Markup/HTML (Content Type) > HTML Options) then you will see notices from MarkupQA warning you that it is unable to resolve the links.
      Installation
      Install the Custom Paths module.
      Uninstallation
      The custom_path field is not automatically deleted when the module is uninstalled. You can delete it manually if the field is no longer needed.

https://github.com/Toutouwai/CustomPaths
      https://modules.processwire.com/modules/custom-paths/