ryan

Module: Video embed for YouTube/Vimeo (TextformatterVideoEmbed)

Agreed with Martijn, that's probably better in most (if not all) cases. If you really want to use this module, something like this should work too:

if ($page->your_field) {
    $value = "<p>" . $page->your_field . "</p>";
    $modules->get('TextformatterVideoEmbed')->format($value);
    if (strpos($value, "<p>") !== 0) echo $value;
}

Only benefits of that approach would be having a common way to present videos on your site, and using oEmbed instead of relying on your own case-by-case embed codes. Other than that, I don't really see much value in it :)

• Like 1

The other option would be to change the regex in the module. This is what I use in Get Video Thumbs and it works fine with plain text (URL) and Textarea fields:

/\s*(?:http(?:s)?:\/\/)?(?:www\.)?(?:youtu\.be\/|youtube\.com\/(??:watch)?\?(?:.*&)?v(?:i)?=|(?:embed|v|vi|user)\/))([^\?#&\"'<>]+)/

That said, I agree with Martijn's approach :)

• Like 1

Hi everyone, 

I wrote, after install module and format Video embed in details.

Could I write a php line to see video on my browser page of Processwire?

Like:

. . .

<div class="video-container"><?php echo $page->video_field->url; ?></div>
. . .

Thanks

Don't use the formatter. Why not simply use:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="<?php echo $page->your_field; ?>" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe> 

But that doesn't help much with inline Videos which are put somewhere, whereever in whatever textarea?

Unless in combination with Hanna Code ... !

Btw. I made this module to be able to adjust some youtube embed options (my very first module btw.) ... https://github.com/blynx/TextformatterVideoEmbedOptions

Not super useful - but for now it works in my project. I am thinking about how to make this thing actually useful considering real use cases.

edit:

I already found some stupid elementary glitches in my module I will fix soon.

And also as an reply to below: But what about many different videos pasted into one single articel‽ : )

Edited by blynx
  • Like 2

But that doesn't help much with inline Videos which are put somewhere, whereever in whatever textarea?

Unless in combination with Hanna Code ... !

Aenean lacinia bibendum nulla sed consectetur. Nullam quis risus eget urna mollis ornare vel eu leo. Cras justo odio, dapibus ac facilisis in, egestas eget quam. {video} Cum sociis natoque penatibus et magnis dis parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus.
$search = '{video}';
$replace = "<iframe width='560' height='315' src='$page->your_field' frameborder='0' allowfullscreen></iframe>";

str_replace($search, $replace, $page->body);
  • Like 3

This module doesn't work with URLs with format http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<video-id>, because oembed service doesn't recognize such URLs. I changed in module source the way of building $oembedURL:

$videoID = $matches[2][$key]; 
$oembedURL = "http://www.youtube.com/oembed?url=" . urlencode("http://youtube.com/watch?v=" . $videoID) . "&format=json&maxwidth={$this->maxWidth}&maxheight={$this->maxHeight}"; 
  • Like 1

Hi there,

This has always worked without a hitch, but I'm a bit stumped now. I'm using this for the body field, I have a youtube URL in a paragraph, but I can't get the player to show, just the URL text as is.

I then tried with a Vimeo video, no luck there either, but in that case it creates the TextformatterVideoEmbed div (<div class="TextformatterVideoEmbed"></div>), but the div has no content. I'm running PW 2.6.1 and the latest version of TextformatterVideoEmbed. 

Any idea what's going on here?

Hi @nikoka,

my setup (PW 2.6.10 / TextformatterVideoEmbed 1.0.9) delivers the same effect. Did you find a solution outputting the oembed code?

Cheers, Chris

Hi @inspeCTor,

I'm afraid I didn't, remains a mystery, I haven't had this problem before or after. Spent some time figuring out what could be different with this one installation, but there shouldn't be anything special there.

Please do report if you find some clues, thanks!

Diagnostics module shows

textformatter_video_embed
InnoDB / latin1_swedish_ci Rows: 24
Data: 16.00 KB
Index: 0 bytes Warning Character set mismatch with connection. This might lead to data corruption. Sanitise your data to match latin1 before sending it to the DB.

any ideas how to fix this?

Hi there,

This has always worked without a hitch, but I'm a bit stumped now. I'm using this for the body field, I have a youtube URL in a paragraph, but I can't get the player to show, just the URL text as is.

Same here. PW 2.6.17 

It still works with my local server, but stopped working on the web server.

That's why I switched to "Hanna Code" for YouTube embeds now.

(I had to, because by using the text editor source-button as a workaround, the HTML Purifier seems to strip out iframes inside of inline editor fields. And I couldn't figure out how to allow this with the HTML Purifier settings.)

..(I had to, because the HTML Purifier seems to strip out iframes inside of inline editor fields. And I couldn't figure out how to allow this with the HTML Purifier settings.)

Have a read here...but good to read the whole thread

Thanks! @kongondo

I already stumbled over this thread and your helpful post.

In my case I couldn't disable the HTML Purifier, because it is mandatory with inline editor fields. 

But I'm happy with the Hanna Code workaround so far. 

P.s. For everyone, who also wants to embed responsive videos manually. You can use the html and style like the video embed module does:

<div class="VideoEmbed" style="position:relative;padding:30px 0 56.25% 0;height:0;overflow:hidden;">
<iframe style="position:absolute;top:0;left:0;width:100%;height:100%;" width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/yourvideoidhere" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>
</div>
  • Like 2

When I open a page with video embedded, I get this: 

Error: Class 'mysqli' not found (line 23 of /home/gocinet/public_html/wire/core/Database.php) 

Same error when I access the module settings page in the backend.

PW 2.7.0. This only happens on the live server, not on my dev machine. So it seems to be server related.

Any pointers on how to solve this would be great. Thank you.

EDIT: I just discovered that mysqli support is not installed on the live server (godaddy VPS). Installing it should solve the problem.

That error says that you don't have the mysqli php extension installed on the server. I can't see the source for this module right now as Github is down, but I expect it is using mysqli instead of PDO which is what the PW core now uses.

So I am guessing this module needs an update to use PDO. Change any instances of $db to $database. Although I am surprised that this module uses any direct db calls. Are you sure it's actually this module that is the problem?

thank you adrian. I will give the renaming a try.

Yes, I'm sure that it is this module because the error throws only on pages with embedded video and on the settings page for the module in the backend.

The module officially supports PW only up to 2.4. That may be why it is not using PDO. 

EDIT: rnaming $db to $database didn't help.

$db is initialized in the module with

$db = wire('db');

Did you try:

$database = wire('database');

You may also need to modify the sql queries to work with PDO. If you're not familiar with the needed changes, a quick google should get you going :)

Once you get it working, a PR for Ryan might nice :)

I have converted the relevant db query code to PDO and will issue a pull request.

• Like 2

I am having a problem getting this to work inside a repeater.  Is that a known issue?  It is just printing out the url.

I really love the TextformatterVideoEmbed module.

I was wondering, Ryan, if you could modify the module to handle both youtube video id's and youtube playlist id's?

Before I dig into the code on the module, I figured I would ask if you could consider making this an upgrade to the module as it would be very handy. Rather than fork it to a new module, it looks like a simple addition you could make to the 'official' module that would be very beneficial:

A good example, where this is handy, is like on a news site I've built, the reporters may take 3 videos of a two hour county commission meeting and upload them to YouTube and instead of dropping in 3 videos into a news page, they could drop in a youtube playlist.

Thanks a bunch for the consideration!

Edited by LostKobrakai
Moved to the correct support topic of the module

Hello holmescreek,

With people having such busy schedules these days, why not fork the module & make any necessary changes to your GitHub repository. You don't have to advertise your fork, or even enter it into the module repository. You could, instead, issue a pull request to the original repository so that Ryan could then see how much/little needs to be done to add your change back into the official module. Once the changes get incorporated, it is then just a matter of deleting your GitHub repository.

Best wishes,

Steve

• Like 2

I forked the module to make the module settings maxWidth and maxHeight work in Responsive mode:

https://github.com/rolandtoth/TextformatterVideoEmbed

Basically it adds an extra wrapper div which max-width and max-height inline CSS is set to what you put in module settings. Also the hard-coded 56.25% aspect ratio is calculated from these values.

I have used Ryan's VIDEO EMBED FOR YOUTUBE/VIMEO numerous times in various projects and I always love it. However, I went to install it on a 3.0.15 fresh install, and it is saying it cant install it due to it already existing. Has anyone else run into this before? For the life of me, I can not find it in the database.

I can't seem to get this module to load in the backoffice module section, I downloaded and put it in my module folder, then in the backoffice it does not recognise it? Do I need to change file extion name or? any help would be great!