Module: Video embed for YouTube/Vimeo (TextformatterVideoEmbed)

ryan

• 1 month later...

I had several clients request a version of this module that honors the aspect ratio of a video when using the responsive embed method. For now, the module is using a hard-coded 16/9 ratio.

I decided to give it a go myself and forked Ryan's repo. I added functionality to calculate a video's aspect ratio from the oEmbed return values for width and height and made a change to the module's custom db schema to save the aspect ratio. In the (improbable) case the aspect ratio can't be determined, I added a fallback aspect ratio to the module's config. After looking around for a bit, this post about db schema updates for modules with custom databases provided excellent examples on how to handle the schema updates for existing installations. 

The changes have been tested on several live sites (3.0) and the update went without hiccups.

If anyone's interested, here's the commit: https://github.com/[...]/commit/76e9a5e7bba79aef8fae35aaa7a1b7b79e970f90

I'd love to get some feedback on this! Especially from people running this on the 2.7 or 2.8 branch.

If all works well, it'd be great to integrate this into @ryan's official repo at some point.

• Like 6

• 4 months later...

Great module @ryan :) 

Our client wants support for another video site too, though. So I'm just trying to properly create/extend a module/use hooks for the first time, so as to add an extra embed function.

Supposing I wanted to create support for an additional platform, where would I hook this into (I don't see any hookable functions other than install and uninstall in it)? Is this module extendable?

It's such a small simple module that I think your best bet is just to edit it directly, and perhaps rename it (to avoid it potentially getting overwritten in the future). Remember to rename both the filename i.e. TextformatterMyVideoEmbed.module, and the class name to match. Then do a Modules > Refresh, and install it. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ryan said:

It's such a small simple module that I think your best bet is just to edit it directly, and perhaps rename it (to avoid it potentially getting overwritten in the future). Remember to rename both the filename i.e. TextformatterMyVideoEmbed.module, and the class name to match. Then do a Modules > Refresh, and install it. 

Okidoki, will do that instead :) Thank you.

• Like 1

This module sort of solves the video embed problem - thank you! - but...

1. It doesn't work in combination with HTML Entity Encoder?
2. You lose all YouTube embed customization options.

Normally I add the following to the iframe embed url:

... ?rel=0&showinfo=0&autohide=1&wmode=transparent&modestbranding=1&color=white

That removes unnecessary stuff and makes the video look less youtubey. Is there no way to do that in Processwire?

Is there really no way to force PW or the text editor to just leave iframe code alone? At least from a few trusted sources.

I have tried adding my customization to the module at return $embedCode. ..., but that doesn't work of course. It comes out like this:

Spoiler

<p><div class='TextformatterVideoEmbed' style='position:relative;padding:30px 0 56.25% 0;height:0;overflow:hidden;'><iframe style='position:absolute;top:0;left:0;width:100%;height:100%;' width="480" height="270" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Wl4XiYadV_k?feature=oembed" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>?rel=0&showinfo=0&autohide=1&wmode=transparent&modestbranding=1&color=white</div></p>

4 minutes ago, modifiedcontent said:

...Is there really no way to force PW or the text editor to just leave iframe code alone? At least from a few trusted sources.

I am not sure whether this is relevant in your case and it is from a while back but just thought to post to see if it helps:

• Like 2

I haven't tried it, but check out this module that allows you to customize the embedded video's settings: 

And regarding this: " It doesn't work in combination with HTML Entity Encoder" - try changing the order of the text formatters.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
15 hours ago, PWaddict said:

I would like to combine the module with lazysizes. Is there a way to replace "src" with "data-src" ?

I found a way how to apply lazysizes. Sharing it here in case anyone wants to do the same thing. With the below javascript code you are replacing iframe's "src" with "data-src" and of course adding the lazyload class and you are 100% ready :)

var iframeEl = document.getElementsByTagName('iframe');
for (var i=0; i<iframeEl.length; i++) {
    if(iframeEl[i].getAttribute('src')) {
       iframeEl[i].setAttribute('data-src',iframeEl[i].getAttribute('src'));
       iframeEl[i].removeAttribute('src');
    }
}

$('iframe').addClass('lazyload');

I don't think this is a good solution. By the time your Js runs the iframe may start to load so making it useless.

I think it would be better to edit the module itself, and maybe rename the module to avoid overwrite it later when updating. Or even better, submit a PR with a new setting for lazy load :)

• Like 2

@PWaddict

I also think you shouldn't use javascript, instead do the formatting on the server. I feel I wouldn't trust the JS solution because it might not work as expected under certain circumstances.

I put together a regular expression which might help you build another Textformatter which replaces "src" with "data-src" if thats the only thing to do:

Have a look at the demo here: http://www.phpliveregex.com/p/jkp (On the right, click on preg_replace to see the replacement.)

This is the code:

<?php
preg_replace("/(<iframe.*)src(.*)(youtube|vimeo)/", "$1data-src$2$3", $input_lines);

(During my research I learned from: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4898192/preg-replace-how-to-replace-only-matching-xxx1yyy-pattern-inside-the-selector)

Hope that helps,
if you need more advice you can also DM me and we will post the result later -

cheers!

PS:

Or like @tpr mentioned you may put that modification directly into a copy of TextformatterVideoEmbed. That way you would have more control. (TextformatterVideoEmbed itself gets the embed code from an oembed url, so you can't easily intercept there ...)

PPS:

Oh, actually a simple str_replace("src=", "data-src=", $embedCode) in a copy of TextformatterVideoEmbed might actually be sufficient!

• Like 3

Thanks @tpr & @blynx for the help.

I replaced the 129 line of the module with this and it's working:

$out = preg_replace("/(<iframe.*)src(.*)(youtube|vimeo)/", "$1data-src$2$3", $out);
$out = str_ireplace('<iframe ', "<iframe class='lazyload' style='position:absolute;top:0;left:0;width:100%;height:100%;' ", $out);

BUT on some fields I'm using the TextformatterMakeLinks module and the videos on that fields aren't loading cause it adds the video links with href inside of data-src.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PWaddict said:

BUT on some fields I'm using the TextformatterMakeLinks module and the videos on that fields aren't loading cause it adds the video links with href inside of data-src.

Maybe changing the order of the Textformatters would help? (Putting TextformatterMakeLinks at the bottom / after VideoEmbed)?

TextformatterMakeLinks thinks the iframe with the data-src attribute is a text to parse for links. (http://www.phpliveregex.com/p/jkU) It does not get caught by the first regular expression there ...

Either that bug has to be fixed (huh, thats a rather long reg-exp there -.-) - try to contact @interrobang there:

Or you could seperate this 

preg_replace("/(<iframe.*)src(.*)(youtube|vimeo)/", "$1data-src$2$3", $out)

into a new Textformatter and use the original VideoEmbed again.
Then, the order should be:

VideoEmbed
MakeLinks
ThatFormatterWhichMakesTheDataSrc

I think this should work, since MakeLinks detects "src" in an iframe correctly - but not "data-src"

Good luck :)

@blynx Actually I've unistalled TextformatterMakeLinks cause I don't really need it so problem solved. Thanks again for the help.

@ryan Can you update the module with a new option for lazy load? On the module config there must be 2 new fields. A checkbox field for the lazy loading option and a text field with the css class name from the lazy script used. Eg. I'm using lazysizes so the class name is lazyload.

Here is the replaced code on the 129 line of the module:

$out = preg_replace("/(<iframe.*)src(.*)(youtube|vimeo)/", "$1data-src$2$3", $out);
$out = str_ireplace('<iframe ', "<iframe class='lazyload' style='position:absolute;top:0;left:0;width:100%;height:100%;' ", $out);

Hi, i need youtube video id 

Is there any way to get this id from template file.?

I was looking into TextformatterVideoEmbed.module file

public function format(&$str) {
		$this->embedYoutube($str);
		$this->embedVimeo($str);
	}

/**
	 * Check for Youtube URLS and embed when found
	 */
	protected function embedYoutube(&$str) {

// perform a strpos fast check before performing regex check
		if(strpos($str, '://www.youtube.com/watch') === false && strpos($str, '://www.youtube.com/v/') === false && strpos($str, '://youtu.be/') === false) return;

//               1: full URL                                                 2:video id    3: query string (optional)
		$regex = '#<p>\s*(https?://(?:www\.)?youtu(?:.be|be.com)+/(?:watch/?\?v=|v/)?([^\s&<\'"]+))(&[-_,.=&;a-zA-Z0-9]*)?.*?</p>#';
		if(!preg_match_all($regex, $str, $matches)) return;

foreach($matches[0] as $key => $line) { 

$oembedURL = 
				"$this->http://www.youtube.com/oembed?url=" . urlencode($matches[1][$key]) . 
				"&format=json&maxwidth={$this->maxWidth}&maxheight={$this->maxHeight}"; 

$videoID = $matches[2][$key]; 
			$queryString = isset($matches[3][$key]) ? $matches[3][$key] : '';
			$embedCode = $this->getEmbedCode($oembedURL, $videoID); 

Can i use something like below  from my template file

$page->video->$videoID;

There are hundreds of youtube video fields  entered with TextformatterVideoEmbed module . And i can not get these url with 

echo $page->video;

because it embed iframe and shows youtube video not the url

If i can grab video url i can get the id from there.

I want to keep working this way but i need this url or video id for use on amp-youtube tag

• 2 weeks later...

Videos not showing up.:'(

PW Version: 3.0.57

TextformatterVideoEmbed Version: 1.1.1

The module is installed. I have added the "Video embed for YouTube/Vimeo" Text formatter to the body field. I put a link with the format "https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxxxxx" into the body surrounded by <p></p> tags. However, when I view the site, I just see the text for the link.

What am I missing?

Thanks!

3 hours ago, artaylor said:

Videos not showing up.:'(

PW Version: 3.0.57

TextformatterVideoEmbed Version: 1.1.1

The module is installed. I have added the "Video embed for YouTube/Vimeo" Text formatter to the body field. I put a link with the format "https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxxxxx" into the body surrounded by <p></p> tags. However, when I view the site, I just see the text for the link.

What am I missing?

Thanks!

Make sure your link added as plain text not as clickable link. Also try chaning the order of the text formatters. "Video embed for YouTube/Vimeo" should be on top.

15 minutes ago, artaylor said:

@PWaddict: Thanks. The link is plain text and "Video embed..." is the first text formatter. I tried removing the Hanna Code textformatter to see if it was causing a conflict but it still did not work.

Is the field textarea? Is the Inputfield Type: CKEditor?