☁️ Duplicator: Backup and move sites

flydev

So it turned out that the FTP extension wasn't loaded. After enabling it and restarting Apache / Laragon, everything works as expected. (with the earlier Duplicator version, however, no error message was shown) Thanks to @Autofahrn for the help.

1 hour ago, Autofahrn said:

Sorry, I somehow missed the FTP part since already the package build seems to fail.

nope:

15 hours ago, dragan said:

Local backups work fine, but FTP does nothing.

?

• Like 2

@flydev - a couple of bugs and questions for you.

Firstly, I am getting these notices with the current dev branch:

image.thumb.png.6b2ffa5b489dc26c7aa3162dceb5162d.png

Would be great if those could be cleaned up please.

The other question is a weird one. With both the master and dev versions I have been getting "mysql gone away errors" lately on one site/server, but only from the cronjob (run from the system cron). If I do a Backup Now from the Duplicator Process module page it works fine. So it seems like there is some strange difference when run via CLI with the cronjob. The database size recently went over  128MB which is the size of my max_allowed_packet setting. I bumped it up and now it works from the command without the error. The weird thing though is that I have another server which has been working fine with a max_allowed_packet of 16M and the database is over 250MB. Both servers are Digital Ocean VPS. The one with the errors is running the latest version of Debian and the one without errors is on UBUNTU. 

The Debian server shows:

Ver 15.1 Distrib 10.3.18-MariaDB, for debian-linux-gnu (x86_64) using readline 5.2

while the UBUNTU one shows:

Ver 14.14 Distrib 5.7.28, for Linux (x86_64) using  EditLine wrapper

So I am wondering if it's a MariaDB vs MySQL issue, or the version difference or something else.

Anyway, wondering if you (or anyone else) might have come across this recently.

Thanks!

• Like 1

Thanks @Autofahrn - that new version does fix those notices.

Unfortunately I am getting MySQL gone away errors again when running via cronjob. I don't expect that is to do with the new version, but rather that it's a bit random and the tests after I changed the max_allowed_packet setting didn't actually fix it. The weird thing is that the error is being triggerd ~6 seconds into the duplicator process so it's not a timeout issue.

• Like 2

That's a quite short time, timeout should be 120 resp. 600 seconds from what I see in the code. The backup is effectively performed using a regular WireDatabaseBackup.

Could this be a security issue with cron running from a different user?

Sorry, no real idea.

• Like 2

Ok, I'm getting there ?

@flydev - there is still one more notice in 1.3.13 - line #44 should be: 

$this->log("Logging {$logName}\n");

$logName, rather than $zipFilename which isn't defined.

Regarding the mysql gone away error, it seems that has been fixed by doing this:

//DUP_Util::setMemoryLimit(self::DUP_PHP_MAX_MEMORY);
        //DUP_Util::setMaxExecutionTime(self::DUP_PHP_EXECUTION_TIME);
        set_time_limit(0);
        ini_set('memory_limit', '-1');

I know this is not ideal, but it's time to move on so will have to do for now.

• Like 3

Thanks @Autofahrn ????

@adrian About the issue "MySQL server gone away". 

Its quite hard to determine from where come this issue - and just saying - I still not found the way to track down this issue. FYI I also got this issue on a new MariaDB server on Windows (a boosted server where the PW setup contain more than 1.5 millions pages), and also sometime on my local MAMP setup. (The issue does not concern only Duplicator). I remember also two weeks ago, I got this issue on a shared server (another setup with about 260k pages)

ATM the only two hints which come to my mind is that the issue mostly appear when using the API - which can lead us to another hint: a server memory issue

Thing to test: Disabled TracyDebugger 

Other thing to check: I mostly work with InnoDB databases and I remember that adjusting some MariaDB parameters helped.

Parameters to check :

• max_allowed_packet 
  • innodb_log_file_size
  • innodb_buffer_pool_size
  • innodb_log_buffer_size

PS: To adjust the settings, check this reply : 

What say the MySQL devs :

Some other common reasons for the MySQL server has gone away error are:

• You (or the db administrator) has killed the running thread with a KILL statement or a mysqladmin kill command.

• You tried to run a query after closing the connection to the server. This indicates a logic error in the application that should be corrected.

• A client application running on a different host does not have the necessary privileges to connect to the MySQL server from that host.

• You got a timeout from the TCP/IP connection on the client side. This may happen if you have been using the commands: mysql_options(..., MYSQL_OPT_READ_TIMEOUT,...) or mysql_options(..., MYSQL_OPT_WRITE_TIMEOUT,...). In this case increasing the timeout may help solve the problem.

• You have encountered a timeout on the server side and the automatic reconnection in the client is disabled (the reconnect flag in the MYSQL structure is equal to 0).

• You are using a Windows client and the server had dropped the connection (probably because wait_timeout expired) before the command was issued.

The problem on Windows is that in some cases MySQL does not get an error from the OS when writing to the TCP/IP connection to the server, but instead gets the error when trying to read the answer from the connection.

The solution to this is to either do a mysql_ping() on the connection if there has been a long time since the last query (this is what Connector/ODBC does) or set wait_timeout on the mysqld server so high that it in practice never times out.

• You can also get these errors if you send a query to the server that is incorrect or too large. If mysqld receives a packet that is too large or out of order, it assumes that something has gone wrong with the client and closes the connection. If you need big queries (for example, if you are working with big BLOB columns), you can increase the query limit by setting the server's max_allowed_packet variable, which has a default value of 64MB. You may also need to increase the maximum packet size on the client end. More information on setting the packet size is given in Section B.4.2.9, “Packet Too Large”.

An INSERT or REPLACE statement that inserts a great many rows can also cause these sorts of errors. Either one of these statements sends a single request to the server irrespective of the number of rows to be inserted; thus, you can often avoid the error by reducing the number of rows sent per INSERT or REPLACE.

• It is also possible to see this error if host name lookups fail (for example, if the DNS server on which your server or network relies goes down). This is because MySQL is dependent on the host system for name resolution, but has no way of knowing whether it is working—from MySQL's point of view the problem is indistinguishable from any other network timeout.

You may also see the MySQL server has gone away error if MySQL is started with the skip_networking system variable enabled.

Another networking issue that can cause this error occurs if the MySQL port (default 3306) is blocked by your firewall, thus preventing any connections at all to the MySQL server.

• You can also encounter this error with applications that fork child processes, all of which try to use the same connection to the MySQL server. This can be avoided by using a separate connection for each child process.

• You have encountered a bug where the server died while executing the query.

Let me know - thanks guys  ??

• Like 2

20 hours ago, flydev ?? said:

About the issue "MySQL server gone away".

Thanks for the detailed info. I must admit to being pretty new to InnoDB and actually I am glad you mentioned it, because the other site with the bigger DB which is having no problems at all is on MyISAM, so I guess that is the difference.

I have already played with a few of those settings you mentioned, but nothing consistently helped. The only thing that seems to be working is the change to set PHP time limit and max execution time to both infinite. It's also really confusing that this is only an issue when run via cron - it makes me think there is a significant difference in PHP or MySQL settings. Obviously PHP has a CLI specific .ini file, but I don't think there is anything like that for my.cnf. 

Maybe Duplicator should look into using WireDatabaseBackup's exec mode: https://github.com/processwire/processwire/blob/321ea0eed3794c5f2b50c216b603fad3e7347ce6/wire/core/WireDatabaseBackup.php#L131-L133 - any thoughts on trying that?

Regarding your suggestion of disabling Tracy - I have been thinking for a while about having an option to disable Tracy when php_sapi_name() shows the script is running from the CLI. I haven't added it yet, but certainly could, although I doubt that's the cause of this issue.

I am going to keep monitoring the daily cron over the next week to see if it works every day with those set_time_limit(0); ini_set('memory_limit', '-1'); settings and if it does, at least that will tell us something ?

Thanks again,
Adrian

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, flydev ?? said:

It's planned yes, I was already coding something this night using natives tools. Stay tuned.

Thank you!

FYI - after setting innodb_buffer_pool_size based on that calculation query, my duplicator cron failed so I almost feel like that made things worse. I am beginning to wonder if InnoDB just needs more resources than MyISAM and my VPS server just doesn't have enough oomph ?

• Thanks 1

Good to know;  To give you a simple answer: InnoDB was faster for writes and MyISAM for reads. Nowadays, InnoDB are the way to go, yo should be aware that MyISAM is deprecated and being ? removed in MySQL 8 I think, or maybe on a later release.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, flydev ?? said:

It's planned yes, I was already coding something this night using natives tools. Stay tuned.

Not sure if the native backup tools are really the best option... When restoring native backups on sites with a lot of data it took ages while it only took several seconds when using a regular mysql dump. I think the native tools add quite some bloat. It has been discussed somewhere, but I have no links at the moment, sorry. You might have this in mind ? 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, bernhard said:

When restoring native backups on sites with a lot of data it took ages while it only took several seconds when using a regular mysql dump

Ok for restoring, we might find a way to speed to the things, but about the backup, you kinda lost me here with your comment ?

1 hour ago, bernhard said:

Not sure if the native backup tools are really the best option... When restoring native backups on sites with a lot of data it took ages while it only took several seconds when using a regular mysql dump. I think the native tools add quite some bloat. It has been discussed somewhere, but I have no links at the moment, sorry.

I remember quite well. It felt like downloading the internet on a 28k baud modem back in the days ?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I made some progress and I could finally backup on an Unix machine the bigger setup I have (a backup imported as the method is not finished to be able to work on Windows) - for about 400MB files and a database of 1.6GB using the new implemented method which use the MySQL native tools. The method consist of writing a shell script on the fly which then is executed. 

If you wanna test it - still a work in progress - you can find the new method implemented on the dev branch on Github.

1952473296_Annotation2020-01-13095054.thumb.png.6088cdb5a32aa6ba02f0af851ba41e57.png

Edited by flydev ??
screenshot
  • Like 3