Video Field

In lieu of any real file management (discussion has already started: http://processwire.com/talk/topic/425-file-manager/) I think there should be a video field. Parsers for the most popular sharing sites, youtube being the big one. I have not really dug in to the api yet and my programming skills are pretty amateur, but I am going to take a look at the Flickr Field module and see if I can get any insight into starting off a video field.

• Like 1

You have probably already read this, but there's quite a bit of discussion about this subject (video content) here: http://processwire.c...de-processwire/.

I've implemented similar solution as discussed there; user copies video URL from YouTube (or any other supported service) and some regexp magic converts it into embedded video. That works for me very well, especially since (in my experience at least) users quite often want to embed videos here and there, mostly within other content, and thus video field wouldn't be sufficient solution. TinyMCE plugin (also discussed in the thread above) would be an interesting option, though I'm not sure if that's possible yet.

Long story short: video field is a nice idea and might actually meet some of our clients needs too - I'm sure a lot of folks here will be really happy if you find the time to create something like that. And naturally if there's anything we can help you with regarding this module (or just about anything else) just ask :)

By the way, are you thinking about adding certain hard-coded video services, or could there perhaps be an option for administrator to add new services / remove those that already exist? I'd consider that a nice addition, especially for handling smaller, local video sharing sites - and perhaps even in-company video editing + sharing services, seen couple of those popping up lately. Of course this could also be solved, especially early on, by implementing service-specific stuff in a way that makes it easy to developers to modify, add and remove new services at code-level..

• Like 1