formmailer

Hi!

Upgraded my development environment from 2.x to 3.x and everything works fine there, so I continued with copying my development site (files) and database to my production environment and suddenly Pages and Modules are not showing up (see screenshot).

After clicking around a bit, suddenly it worked and pages and modules appeared. But after logging out and in again, the issue had returned.

I tested with different browsers and cleared my cache and cookies, but that didn't help.

What could be causing this, what should I look for?

Thanks in advance,
Jasper

pw.JPG

Maybe the troubleshoot helps... Special for upgrading from 2.x to 3.x

Any error messages you see in 3.x are likely related to the fact that this version of the core is now running in a namespace called ProcessWire, rather than in the root PHP namespace. Error messages will likely mention a file in your /site/modules/ directory or a file in your /site/templates/ directory.

ProcessWire attempts to compile any module or template PHP files that it thinks will have issues due to namespace. This should work well in most instances. However, if you come across any instances where it does not work, you may need to add the ProcessWire namespace to your file. To add the namespace to a file, simply edit the file and add this at the very top:

<?php namespace ProcessWire;

To prevent ProcessWire from attempting to compile a file, place the text FileCompiler=0 anywhere in the file, and ProcessWire will skip over it.

Edited by Harmen
Update

Thanks for your reply, Harmen.

There is no problem in the 3.x installation itself, since the development version of the site is working just fine.
The issue occured after copying the site and database to production.

/Jasper

Hi all,

It looks like Cloudflare is causing the trouble. The production site is behind Cloudflare and the development site isn't.
When I paused the site on Cloudflare the pages and modules are being listed fine. The part of Cloudflare that causes problems is their Rocket Loader.  Everything works with Coudflare enabled and Rocket Loader disabled.

Does anyone else have similar experiences?

//Jasper

4 minutes ago, formmailer said:

It looks like Cloudflare is causing the trouble. The production site is behind Cloudflare and the development site isn't.
When I paused the site on Cloudflare the pages and modules are being listed fine. The part of Cloudflare that causes problems is their Rocket Loader.  Everything works with Coudflare enabled and Rocket Loader disabled.

Does anyone else have similar experiences?

Yes, and I wrote about it here - https://dpreston.com/posts/processwire-cloudflare/

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, DaveP said:

Yes, and I wrote about it here - https://dpreston.com/posts/processwire-cloudflare/

Good to know that I am not the only one. :) Do you remember what version of PW you were running at that time? 
My 2.6 installation (which must have been around the time you wrote your blog post) worked fine with Cloudflares Rocket Loader.

I checked the files on my backup and the version I was running was 2.6.1.

So assume that Cloudflare breaks somthing that changed between 2.6.1 and 2.6.13 dev. And it's something that's still there. 
I am not sure if it's worth looking into it more and if it's something that can be fixed in Processwire or that this is something that Cloudflare has to fix on their end.

Do you think I should report this as an issue on Github?

/Jasper

6 minutes ago, LostKobrakai said:

I'm not sure it's worth looking into. Caching for backends is imho not the best idea to start with, so at best Ryan could mention it somewhere as "known issue".

I agree with you that caching for backend isn't the best idea. I just didn't think of it, when the issue occurred, and I am quite sure that others might run into it sooner or later.
Mentioning this as a known issue would be fine.

Maybe in the readme file under Installation/Upgrade. @ryan, would this be possible?

//Jasper

11 minutes ago, DaveP said:

... or you could try the Cloudflare rule I mentioned in my blog post to exclude the PW backend. :rolleyes:

Sure, I did that. I did that as soon as I discovered that Cloudflares Rocket Script was causing the issue. Even before you posted the link. :)

What I meant was that the info in your post could be included in the Readme file, as a known issue. So that other users don't need to spend a couple of hours in order to find the cause to this problem.

/Jasper

• Like 1