Doc

Do I need to add users ? (session->login problem)

Hello,

Newbie question here.

I'm rebuilding my existing website with PW, it's a game where people can guess the winners of races.

I used to have a "players" table. Those are registered players, I used to identify them through their login/password, and when it matches, I give them access to the website. No rocket science.

So now with PW, I'm building my sign-up form and I'm trying to create a new session when a new user sign up.

I'm retrieving user/pass from the sign-up form which has been posted before but :

if($session->login($user, $pass)) {
    // login successful
    $session->redirect(elsewhere);
}
else
    echo "failed";

... fails everytime.

Do I have to use something like :

$u = new User();
$u->name = "bill";
$u->pass = "billpwd";
$u->addRole("guest");
$u->save();

... before doing a session->login('bill', 'billpwd') ?? (I've just checked, it works, so I guess this is the good way to do it ?)

I already have my players table so perhaps I can have the minimum in the PW's table and keep my players info in my historical table ?

... Or I can add all information I need into PW but I'd like to understand where it is stored.

Last question, if there is a PW matching between "user" and "session", I need to give to the session->login function the password not hashed. I'm using the password_hash php function, any problem with that ?

Thanks

I'm answering to myself to a part of the question :

I've just discovered by dumping all the DB that a user is stored like a page, in the "pages" table, which is not too convenient if I want to dump my users table I guess.

On 1/16/2017 at 10:42 AM, Doc said:

... before doing a session->login('bill', 'billpwd') ?? (I've just checked, it works, so I guess this is the good way to do it ?)

The $session->login($user, $pass) is going to return a user object if the user exists and password is correct. Otherwise, the session call will fail. That's why creating the user before the login check works when registering the user. It's okay to build users on-the-fly as long as you sanitize and do your role/permission assignments, etc. If you have a separate login form from the registration form, use one to create and login the user while the other simply logins in. I don't think you'll need to use any extra hashing, PW will compare the hashed value of the supplied password to that stored in the database.

• Like 3

Thanks @Mindfull.

Actually I sanitize everything before creating the user, on the fly as you said. That wasn't obvious for me to have to create the user before the session login returns OK.

I won't add any extra hashing but I keep only the minimum info (username/password/email) on the PW DB and have another table to store everything I need for my players. Also it's easier to have all the player's information in one table for me, export is easier too.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Lewis Newson
      Hi All,
      Im working on streamlining my email sending setup for SMTP. I have a page where the user of the website can input the SMTP host, port, connection type email and password etc but the password field has an additional box underneath it for 'Confirming' it as if it were a new password. The placeholder text also says 'New Password' but I want to be able to change that. I just need an input field where they can enter their SMTP password without it being plain text.
      Thanks for your help!
    • By theoretic
      Hi guys and ladies! And thanks for Processwire!
      It appears i've got an interesting issue concerning the template-settings-based PW redirects dealing with access control. Any PW template has some access control options i.e. "Login redirect URL or page ID to render". If this option is used for a page having a template with this option filled, a redirect will occur if user is not logged in and/or has insufficient access rights.
      I like to hook PW events. In one of my current projects i decided to write an addHookBefore('Session::redirect', ...) which should store the page we are being redirected from. With "regular" redirects like $session->redirect('/somewhere/') this hook works like a charm. But it was strange to see that it doesn't work with the template-settings-based redirect.
      I'm too dumb to dive deep inside PW and to examine the whole PW session mechanism. But it could be rather logical if ANY redirect ( no matter template-settings-based or using $session->redirect() ) could be hooked in the same manner.
      Okay okay i can forget about template-settings-based redirect and write my own. Just a couple of lines of code, and it works. But it's less elegant than hooking the template-settings-based redirects.
      So am i missing something? It this behavior a bug, or is it intended by PW team? Thanks in advance for any comment!
    • By fliwire
      Hi, after redirect to payment page processwire session lost because of samesite cookies changed default to "lax".

https://web.dev/samesite-cookies-explained/

tried to hook session::init but not works ?
      $wire->addHookBefore("Session::init", function (HookEvent $event) { ini_set('session.cookie_samesite', 'None'); session_set_cookie_params(['samesite' => 'None']); });

set by htaccess works

<ifmodule mod_headers.c> Header always edit Set-Cookie ^(.*)$ $1;SameSite=None;Secure </ifmodule>  
    • By jploch
      Hey folks,
      Iam working on a new Admin Theme, based on AdminThemeReno, which I would like to release for the public soon.
      Now I want to style the login page to fit the look and feel of the backend.

After some research, I found out that I have to set the "$config->defaultAdminTheme = 'AdminThemeName' " inside my site config.php file to load all the styles from my admin theme on the login page instead of the default ones.
      Is it possible to set this via api from my Admin Theme settings, without the need of editing the config file?

• By VeiJari
      Hello,
      I'm trying to create a page via api and populate values to it. I can populate everything except user pages to a page reference array.
      Code: 
      $dataUsers = $data->project->users; foreach($dataUsers as $dataUser) { $newProject->projectUsers->add(wire()->pages->find('template=user, id=' . $dataUser->id)); } I'm receiving my data via JSON.
      Is there something I'm missing?
      Thanks for help