Band wants to charge $1 for song downloads online

joer80

What situation? That 'how dare they charge a whopping $1 for music'? :P. Just kidding.

Price here is immaterial. Whether $1 or $1000, the facts are:

1. It will have to be paid via some means
  2. That means needs to be secure
  3. That means needs to be something your musician's fans have access to (e.g. PayPal, etc)
  4. Buyers will most likely expect to be able to download music they've bought right after payment has gone through
  5. The band will want to be able to track downloads, paid or unpaid
  6. Etc...

I wouldn't reinvent the wheel with this one. Buying and selling will be taking place, period. I'd invest in Padloper :)...(or if really, really, pushed, in some other ready made solution.).

• Like 3

I will take a look!

I mainly listed price in case there were some kind of micro transaction service since some have a minimum per transaction fee.  

I would love to find there was a mostly put together way to do this!  Instant digital download would be a must at such a low price!  Too much labor to send links.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, kongondo said:

I wouldn't reinvent the wheel with this one. Buying and selling will be taking place, period. I'd invest in Padloper :)...(or if really, really, pushed, in some other ready made solution.).

So this fits in where an individual/company just wants to sell a few things? Instead of going for a full ecommerce solution? I have a friend that may sell a few 2nd hand laptops but the current problem is that a decision has to be made early, is it a website with some shopping added on, or a shopping site from the start (read: pre-made solution). I also need to be able to say with confidence to clients that they will be able to add shopping functionality later (whilst building the initial site with PW). So this interests me quite a bit. Thanks for mentioning this project.

So using padloper, the credit card would be entered in on my website, even if I used something like paypal as the payment method?

Does that add any extra pci hassle vs doing something like foxycart where the creditcard is entered in on their servers and they connect with paypal?

48 minutes ago, SamC said:

So this fits in where an individual/company just wants to sell a few things? Instead of going for a full ecommerce solution? I have a friend that may sell a few 2nd hand laptops but the current problem is that a decision has to be made early, is it a website with some shopping added on, or a shopping site from the start (read: pre-made solution). I also need to be able to say with confidence to clients that they will be able to add shopping functionality later (whilst building the initial site with PW). So this interests me quite a bit. Thanks for mentioning this project.

It will fit with anything. If you want it small, it will stay small. If you want a full e commerce solution, you can make it that. Shopping functionality can be added later or during, or before. It is not a pre-made solution. You get the same freedom as when designing your ProcessWire site. See more comments below.

43 minutes ago, joer80 said:

So using padloper, the credit card would be entered in on my website, even if I used something like paypal as the payment method?

Does that add any extra pci hassle vs doing something like foxycart where the creditcard is entered in on their servers and they connect with paypal?

No. Padloper does not store credit card info. You would have to use one of the available payment gateways. Currently, there are two, PayPal and Stripe, both of which are available as free modules (by the same author of Padloper, @apeisa) The connection is seamless. 

With Padloper, you will have to be willing to 'construct' your shop so to speak. There is no ready-made template or anything like that. With this though, comes total freedom to code your shop just like any other ProcessWire template file since any page can be a product in Padloper. I suggest you read more on the product's website. There's also a public forum here where you can post further questions. I use Padloper myself here.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, kongondo said:

It will fit with anything. If you want it small, it will stay small. If you want a full e commerce solution, you can make it that. Shopping functionality can be added later or during, or before. It is not a pre-made solution. You get the same freedom as when designing your ProcessWire site. See more comments below.

With Padloper, you will have to be willing to 'construct' your shop so to speak. There is no ready-made template or anything like that. With this though, comes total freedom to code your shop just like any other ProcessWire template file since any page can be a product in Padloper. I suggest you read more on the product's website. There's also a public forum here where you can post further questions. I use Padloper myself here.

Sounds pretty awesome. Yet to try media manager but I think it will be useful in the future. Thanks for the info :)