Don't use Resilio Sync. Other recommended tools?

FrancisChung

Hi there,

I have an older Macbook Pro which I'm trying to use as a Desktop Machine for the occasional work-at-home machine.

I was using Resilio Sync to sync my projects between my main laptop and every time there's a problem with the sync, it seems to delete random files and folders. So anyone using Resilio Sync, think again.

I would have used rsync but if I recall correctly, I couldn't the get the command to work with my other laptop (rsync wouldn't accept my destination path).  I also have some files I sync between the main laptop and my Windows box, so that was another reason why I opted for Resilio Sync at the time.

So after spending a few hours recovering my files today, I've decided enough is enough (3rd time it's failed)  and am looking for a new way to sync files between 2 OSX Laptops and a Windows box.

Anyone have a foolproof, stress-free solution that they use?

Thanks!

Hi @FrancisChung This is my favourite:

http://www.scootersoftware.com/features.php

Not just for source files, but: 

" SYNCHRONIZE FOLDERS ...You can efficiently update your laptop, backup your computer, or manage your website, and Beyond Compare will handle all the details. You can copy to and from disks, FTP servers, and zip files, all using the same interface. Anything you don't want affected can be easily filtered out, and all of the powerful comparison techniques are available, making the backup as fast or robust as you need. You can automate repetitive tasks using a flexible scripting language, and any script can be called from the command line, allowing you to schedule your syncs for when it's most convenient."

It is also fast via FTP, and it can handle 10 simultaneous connections if needed, turning it to be the fastest diff/merge tool ever :) but this is only one example. I rarely usef the synchronize folders feature, but that one works well too.

Edited by szabesz
typo
  • Like 1

@szabesz  I trialed a few years ago and didn't really like the interface as compared to Winmerge on Windows. Didn't realise they have a OS X Client now.

@adrian  Thanks for the head's up.

I've discovered something called SyncThing so I'll probably look at this first. If I'm not happy with it, I'm definitely getting a commerical solution. 

Edited by FrancisChung
Spelling correction
  • Like 2