Decent webserver?

Harmen

Hey Devs!

Currently I am hosting my website at transip. But when I try to install Processwire I encounter a server error. I guess it has something to do with the .htaccess file. 

Does anyone know a decent webhosting company which doesn't cost that much and where I can install Processwire?

Thanks in advance,

Harmen

Harmen, 

I've used TransIP before and I only had to change the .htaccess:

Options +FollowSymLinks 

to

# Options +FollowSymLinks

If you have modified the .htaccess, I suggest you try a clean .htaccess from the ProcessWire github repo and apply the above change.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Harmen said:

@OllieMackJames

That is exactly what I don't want to do, hire a server. I rather build a dedicated server and install Processwire on that server. I wish I could connect my dedicated server to transip....

@Harmen, for years I had my own servers, also located at transip, I ended up scrapping that, on the transip vps I still run my own OS (freebsd in my case) and the performance is as good (or better - transip keeps upgrading stuff) as on my own servers (which only is top of the bill the first year, I changed them after three years for the latest and best - go figure what that costs in depreciation)

Costwise I now pay for the vps what I used to pay for the colocation.

And lastly, I had to go to the transip datacenter at least once a year mostly to deal with a clusterf*ck of my own doing, but also sometimes to swap out a burned out hotswap disc. That is all gone, I ALWAYS have remote access as if I am physically there and transip deals with all the hardware. I now say I should have done this way earlier.

• Like 1

On 7-1-2017 at 3:15 PM, Harmen said:

Currently I am hosting my website at transip.

I've had to work with the combination of TransIP and PW for one client, and well.. I wasn't too happy with that. Let's just say they are cheap for a reason..

As a fellow Dutchman I can advise Greenhost.nl. I host most of my clients there. These guys are friendly, professional, and take good care for clients and the world. I have never had any PW-related issues with them.

I like that VPS gives the advantage of the whole Linux tool chain (if using linux) , now including wireshell. With the disadvantage that, I never want to work on shared hosting that has no shell access lol. That, plus ServerPilot to set up the whole deal, just makes my life much easier.

• Like 1