Web based IDE

pwFoo

I moved from netbeans to atom. Tested lighttable, brackets and visual studio code, but at the moment I take a look into web based IDEs. Most are based on ACE editor (alternative could be codemirror) like chrome apps caret or super neutron drive (both with chrome dependency at the moment). 

Recently I looked into cloud9, codetasty, ... and codiad.

Codiad is open source. php / js based and works fine. Autocomplete feature and suggestions should be improved, but it's ok. Because it's open source you can download it from github repo or test it as a docker container (wernight/codiad image for example). 

Codytasty is a cloud hosted solution with a really awesome autocomplete / suggestions for php, js and html! But it isn't open source (there is a free to use hosted version with limited workspaces and features).

At the moment I testing codiad@docker, but use still atom for coding and searching for the best IDE out there *g*

What do you think about IDEs and the new trend to web based IDEs?

I am curious in what exactly the advantages of web based IDEs are? Is it, that you need to setup everything just once?

Somewhere here I stumbled upon the web service Codeanywhere, but I can't see any reason in paying monthly for something like an editor (of course their service offers more than just the editor).

When it comes to working in teams, web IDEs can be great. I have some experience in team work on cloud9. And I am quite impressed about what features even their free account has to offer.

If you are travelling a lot, you'll have your web IDE workspace setup available anywhere which is also great.

Apart from that I prefer working on a local setup.  

If you work with docker environment you can share the volume with the IDE and work with the dev data without upload changes. 

codiad is open source and so it's free. cloud9 and codetasty have free accounts too.

I'm impressed by comparision between a full desktop app like netbeans, atom, ... with a web app. Compare performance and features.

On 1/7/2017 at 1:07 AM, AndZyk said:

I am curious in what exactly the advantages of web based IDEs are? Is it, that you need to setup everything just once?

Somewhere here I stumbled upon the web service Codeanywhere, but I can't see any reason in paying monthly for something like an editor (of course their service offers more than just the editor).

I guess you don't have to own a powerful highend notebooks to be able to code. Just need a net/notebook or a fast internet connection and in theory, you're good to go. 

If the web IDEs  tied that with an integrated ability to run and test your code on the cloud, then watch out.

Edited by FrancisChung
Wow all those spelling and grammar mistakes

I don't understand exactly what are you trying to say. I think it is, that for web based IDEs you don't need an powerful machine and only an fast internet connection?

For people who travel a lot and only have a netbook on their hands that is helpful. As I am working only on one place with a desktop computer, I am obviously not the target group. :lol:

But everybody should use what fits best to their needs. Some people also prefer to code only in the command line. ;)

Recently I discovered this funny editor: Code in the Dark. Wait till you get to POWER MODE! There is also an extension for Atom available. :lol:

• Like 1

On 1/10/2017 at 8:45 PM, AndZyk said:

I don't understand exactly what are you trying to say. I think it is, that for web based IDEs you don't need an powerful machine and only an fast internet connection?

For people who travel a lot and only have a netbook on their hands that is helpful. As I am working only on one place with a desktop computer, I am obviously not the target group. :lol:

But everybody should use what fits best to their needs. Some people also prefer to code only in the command line. ;)

Recently I discovered this funny editor: Code in the Dark. Wait till you get to POWER MODE! There is also an extension for Atom available. :lol:

Yes I couldn't understand myself either. I've corrected myself :)

• Like 1