My first ProcessWire project: a website for a small shopping and business center

Michael van Laar

After reading the PW documentation I decided to utilize a small client project as a CMS test case. Fortunately everything went well :-)

I only needed 40 minutes to show my colleague who did the content editing part, how the CMS works. I never did such a short CMS training, even if I always customize every CMS backend I use in such a way to make it as DAU-proof as possible ;-)

So here it is – just a nice little website which makes quite heavy use of PW’s image and thumbnail handling (e.g. for all the different logo and image sizes):

www.campusroethelheimpark-erlangen.de

• Like 1

But it looks really awful on Windows machines – even with the latest version of ClearType activated.

From my experience, that's true for any webfont. TypeKit, Google Webfonts, self-hosted, doesn't really make a difference. What's most striking is that they look okay-ish in IE9.

From my experience, that's true for any webfont. TypeKit, Google Webfonts, self-hosted, doesn't really make a difference. What's most striking is that they look okay-ish in IE9.

It’s not that easy. The display quality of a font file, using ClearType technology, depends on what’s in the font file. E.g. the OTF font format is only a container. The “real” font file inside the OTF container can be either PostScript or TrueType. If a PostScript File is inside, chances are good that it looks smooth in big font sizes. That’s because Windows falls back to standard (which means grayscale) font smooting instead of ClearType for PostScript fonts. Grayscale smoothing is not crips enough for small font sizes, but usually looks good for big sizes.

So wether a webfont looks good on a windows machine depends on the type of font file combined with the used font size and font smoothing technology.

• Like 2

If a PostScript File is inside, chances are good that it looks smooth in big font sizes.

Interesting, but … correct me if I'm wrong, but most font services as well as the fontsquirrel generator don't even use .otf font files any longer. Most of them seem to use the Fontspring syntax now, which usually includes .eot, .woff and .ttf plus (optionally) .svg for older iphones … or do .eot (being embedded OpenType) have the same effect with PostScript or TrueType?

Most of them seem to use the Fontspring syntax now, which usually includes .eot, .woff and .ttf plus (optionally) .svg for older iphones … or do .eot (being embedded OpenType) have the same effect with PostScript or TrueType?

A woff file is a container format, too. It is a repackaged version of a TrueType or OpenType font in a compressed form. TTF and also EOT (since an EOT file is created based on a TTF file) always trigger ClearType font smoothing. SVG is only for old iOS devices.