Show support for ProcessWire in site tagline

ryan

@FrancisChung - Also true, but it should still happen nonetheless, and it could well happen once the new site is up. We had discussions about making the About pages a lot more enticing, and I think a straight-up tutorial on making a simple site in as few paragraphs and images as possible would go a long way.

One of the issues I find is that folks don't really like to click on things. They just want a "How it Works" button that takes them to a page that does just that. Quick and easy, like WPs "5-minute install" (haha).

That's actually an interesting point, though: I wonder how many people jumped to WordPress just because of how they advertised the installation process? We need a 'quirk' like that, perhaps.

A book could perhaps do us very well - I would be happy to get involved if I had the time.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I began my pilgrimage after co-worker of mine told me about this CMS. After that I installed default theme and began to try how this works. I used Wordpress years on my personal websites, and Drupal 7 for clients' sites. I knew some basics about PHP. 5-min tutorial video for dummies would have been nice. (:

At the beginning I didn't know how to use this except what I found inside. My co-worker told me about Cheatsheet and then I began to make tests and everything I know about ProcessWire and PHP I learned from mistakes and succeed. ProcessWire's API is amazing, simple and powerful.

The biggest problem here in Finland is that companies do not know ProcessWire. They only know Wordpress, Drupal and maybe some random third CMS. I used ProcessWire for my personal projects first, and then kind of forced it to some of my biggest client's projects. Normally we use Drupal, because there is a module almost every need and it's very popular among of bigger companies. And every module what we use is free.

My "boss" don't like to pay when getting new modules. He thinks that when using Open Source CMS everything should be free. Forms are a good examples. Simple Contact Form is ok, but that is maybe too simple. I can code any kind of form he needs, but he thinks that clients should be able to create forms like they can when using Drupal and Webform. Even when most of clients need only one form. ProcessWire Form Builder seems ok, but that's not very cheap. Although he charges big sums from clients and that's ok, but he's not ok when module costs 50+ euros.

And all the files are with pages, and those can't be accessed from other pages. That is a huge problem for those who want to upload images and use the same image for many pages. Of course, they can keep uploading same image to all pages, but that's not really good way to do things. I have access to the server so I can upload images where ever I want and use them with PHP, but clients do not have that possibility. Also, I fail to see the point of this because you can link images with pages, even if those were in the same folder. For me, that's no problem, but some of our clients have issues with that.

But with ProcessWire I can make things so much easier and mostly faster than with Drupal. Every corner is optimised as well as I can, and ProcessWire does not load a lot scripts and styles inside head tag like most of others do (and if I disable that then something is broken). This CMS is like "a gift from god", but only true believers know about this - real gift specially after trying to find the right content from inside of Drupal's objects and arrays.

But to be honest, ProcessWire is made more for us, developers, than for random marketing dude who wants to build a new website fast with some widgets like list of latest articles and slideshow. You need to know how to use ProcessWire and basics of PHP to make the most of this. I think that's why many don't know about this. But in my line of work, this has done a lot for us and made my job a lot easier when doing complex things.

I have been supporting this CMS by using meta tag and telling about this CMS when posting to social media about our new creations (clients' sites). But I still have a small company and not have so many followers. Not that much I can do.

Is there any big companies in Finland who uses ProcessWire? Company that everyone should know? I have only done small websites like events and small companies. And is there any big webstore made by ProcessWire which looks awesome? The problem is that we need big names and awesome websites if we want to conquer the World.

Also, I would love to know is there an easier way to upgrade multiple sites than logging in and press upgrade. Can I get official upgrade package somewhere and then just copy everything from that folder to all websites' folders? I have a ready made bash script for Drupal brush so I could use the same code for copying files.

Sorry about long post and some of it maybe little bit off topic.

• Like 1

On 2/18/2017 at 4:43 AM, tewdin said:

The biggest problem here in Finland is that companies do not know ProcessWire. They only know Wordpress, Drupal and maybe some random third CMS.

In my opinion there are two sides to this problem:

• Many client's know WordPress and ask for it specifically, which in turn means that the companies building sites find it an easy product to sell. Even if the client doesn't know WordPress, they just need to be told that it's the most popular CMS out there. "You can't go wrong by choosing the most popular product in the market."
  • Many web developers first dive into the CMS world via WordPress. Once they know it, it's tempting to use it for everything. Even if it's a struggle to create anything more complex with it, they a) don't know that there are better alternatives, and b) going with another system would require a whole lot of un- and re-learning.

I try to advocate for ProcessWire every chance I get, mainly because I believe it's truly a great product, and fits many needs amazingly well. Obviously it's not for everyone, and in fact I have once or twice actually recommended going with WordPress instead.

ProcessWire Form Builder seems ok, but that's not very cheap.

Funny you should mention this, as I was literally just today thinking about how the commercial modules fit the ProcessWire landscape, and once again came to the conclusion that it was a smart move from Ryan to make FormBuilder as cheap as it is. If you think it's "not very cheap", you probably don't really get how much it does for you :)

Before Ryan released FormBuilder we were contemplating building our own form module, but just thinking about how many things such a module has to handle makes me shiver. It's a heck of a lot of work to build a module as flexible as FormBuilder, and making it easy enough for anyone with no technical expertise to build complex forms is not easy either. Agency license for FormBuilder is $289, and I can pretty much guarantee that building a module like that on your own will cost you at least ten times that amount.

On the other hand we were considering buying another commercial module a while ago. The cost for a single license for that particular module turned out to be four digits, and eventually we decided not to buy it. I've been working on a module that matches our needs specifically, for a cost that is notably lower than we would've had to pay for the third party module. We're planning to release this particular module as open source when it's finished.

But to be honest, ProcessWire is made more for us, developers, than for random marketing dude who wants to build a new website fast with some widgets like list of latest articles and slideshow. You need to know how to use ProcessWire and basics of PHP to make the most of this. 

It's true is that you generally can't add a completely new feature to a site, let alone build a new site from the scratch, without at least some basic dev skills. That's also not the market we're in. I think those who want to do that would be much better off with a DIY website builder platform such as Wix or Squarespace. This kind of thing is not really the forte of WordPress either – building a complex site from (sometimes) badly written, barely compatible plugins requires a whole lot of work, at least in my experience :)

Is there any big companies in Finland who uses ProcessWire? Company that everyone should know?

This depends on your definition of a "big company". Avoine is, in my opinion, the best example in this category – they've done some pretty amazing stuff with ProcessWire. Everyone in our line of work should know them, at least. I'm not an official spokesperson for my company so I prefer not to go into more detail, but at Fonecta we also use ProcessWire in some of our projects. You've probably heard of us before.

Also, I would love to know is there an easier way to upgrade multiple sites than logging in and press upgrade. Can I get official upgrade package somewhere and then just copy everything from that folder to all websites' folders? I have a ready made bash script for Drupal brush so I could use the same code for copying files.

If you're into command line tools, check out wireshell. Depending on your setup there are other solutions too, probably the easiest being the built-in multisite support, where multiple separate sites share the same core code.

• Like 6

9 hours ago, tewdin said:

That is a huge problem for those who want to upload images and use the same image for many pages. Of course, they can keep uploading same image to all pages, but that's not really good way to do things. I have access to the server so I can upload images where ever I want and use them with PHP, but clients do not have that possibility.

There is (ahem..) a commercial module for this kind of thing. It's called Media Manager (Disclosure: I am its author ^_^)

By the way, I don't think your post matches the content of this thread. It would be best if you started a different topic. We would then transfer your post and its responses to your new thread. Alternatively, if you can suggest a title for your new thread, we can hive off these posts into that new topic directly. 

Edited by kongondo
  • Like 1

And all the files are with pages, and those can't be accessed from other pages. That is a huge problem for those who want to upload images and use the same image for many pages.

This is incorrect.

You can access files/images from other pages, be it any page, sibling pages, parent pages, children pages, a "media" page (for example), "media" (sub-)categories (and/or their children) pages, etc.

It's quite flexible.

Edit: I would just like a way to get to some page assets quicker sometimes, when, because of the structure I set up, I have to click many times in order to access them and to do it several times to get several images not far from each other, for instance, in the page tree.
It would be nice to be able to bookmark "places" to get there in fewer clicks.

Edit 2: I'm just thinking (again) that being able to select several files/images at once would be a big progress.
Several from the same page and/or several from several pages before validating the insertion(s).

I don't know if/how it could be done with the different options available for each file and/or image: cropping, title, etc.).

• Like 1

On 18/02/2017 at 7:34 PM, teppo said:

It was a smart move from Ryan to make FormBuilder as cheap as it is. If you think it's "not very cheap", you probably don't really get how much it does for you

I would recommend certain modules to my own clients, like ProCache, but my employer is not going to buy modules that easily. We do a lot of websites every year, so developer license would not be that big a deal per website, but it's very hard to sell to him. We use Drupal as our main CMS and there you get everything free, and now you should pay to get medals.

I do understand why some modules are not for free, but some people don't want to pay extra. And as said before, I can do all kinds of forms for my employer, but he thinks that's not good enough. And ProCache can minify inline CSS and JSON too, and control whole cache system. That's something that AIOM+ can't.

On 18/02/2017 at 7:34 PM, teppo said:

probably the easiest being the built-in multisite support, where multiple separate sites share the same core code.

So every site only share root (/) but they got their own modules and files. Sounds very good. I'll check that out this week.

On 18/02/2017 at 8:43 PM, kongondo said:

By the way, I don't think your post matches the content of this thread. It would be best if you started a different topic.

You were talking about marketing, easy install and supporting this project before, so I wrote things about those. But don't worry, I don't write more about this here. Just keep doing what you were doing before I jumped in. My post does not need its own thread. (:

• 2 years later...
On 7/16/2012 at 11:15 PM, ryan said:

One of the ways you can show support for ProcessWire is to help get the word out by including a small "Powered by ProcessWire CMS" tagline (ideally linking to processwire.com) in the footer of sites that you develop. This is a big help to the ProcessWire project.

But I know there are many cases where it just doesn't work to do that because the client thinks of it as gratuitous. I think it's important to communicate to your client that it's not gratuitous at all. It is doing the right thing by showing appreciation and support for a software that is running their site at no cost.

Even so, it's not always as simple as that, and I completely understand. We have no requirement or expectation that sites developed in ProcessWire do this. We just encourage and appreciate it when you can.

Let your client decide

One thing I've been doing lately is to put the control into my clients hands. They really appreciate that I've given them control over it… more so than if I'd left out mention of ProcessWire completely. It also makes them feel good as they are the one showing support, not just their site developer.

Here's how to do it in 1 minute:

1. Create a new "checkbox" field in Setup > Fields called "toggle_powered" (or whatever you want to call it), and enter the following for label and description:

2. Add the "toggle_powered" field to your homepage template.

3. Edit the homepage and check the box (if possible in your situation).

4. Edit the template file or include file that contains the site footer and paste in the following:

<?php if($pages->get('/')->toggle_powered): ?>
<p>
<a id='processwire' target='_blank' href='http://processwire.com'>Powered by ProcessWire Open Source CMS/CMF</a>
</p>
<?php endif; ?>

The code above is an example, so adjust the markup, size, wording and placement to suit the site.

another website : http://jeevanism.com/

• Like 1