Effective Modern IRC

Beluga

One of the greatest Finnish inventions, IRC, is still evolving. It even has a working group pushing things forward. I thought I would create a topic with curated open source tools to maybe inspire more people to join #processwire @ Freenode network. I have selected the tools on the basis that they seemed to be under active development. Awesome IRC is a nice list, but too detailed for this context and listing many unmaintained projects.

Desktop clients (cross-platform)

HexChat

Irssi

KVIrc

Quassel (has the unique feature that one (or multiple) client(s) can attach to and detach from a central core)

WeeChat

Multi-protocol Swiss army knives

Pidgin

Smuxi

Thunderbird

Android clients

HoloIRC

qicr

iOS clients

Mutter

Colloquy

Web-based clients

These should be quite interesting to the PW crowd as hosting web applications is your bread and butter ;)

Glowing Bear (web frontend for WeeChat)

Kiwi IRC (currently being rewritten)

The Lounge

Quassel webserver

Bouncers (don't lose chat history even though going offline)

Firrre - get a free bouncer for free & open source community networks. See the guidelines: you need a 60-day old registered NickServ account and a Github.com account. See the Freenode guide to nickname registration.

ircb

ZNC

• Like 7

• 1 year later...

So a pretty cool thing happened

I'd like to introduce a few new projects that we are soon launching alongside notable IRC communities:

IRC.com (A professional, friendly network for huge communities)

IRC University - Free Education for the World (Seeking top expert Ph. D professors to teach - email us!)

IRC Gaming (We're going to have literally hundreds of thousands in cash prizes!)

IRC Ventures (VC/Incubation on IRC!)

IRC Foundation (Donating and supporting existing great IRC projects!)

Providing IRC bouncer (always on connectivity) support to all IRC networks and keeping it open!

In other words, IRC is here, and IRC is backed.

• Like 1