Analytics spam

Mike Rockett

I've seen that too, hand in hand with a near doubling of new sessions in GA with arbitrary pages/view rate for last month, so this really messes up the stats. I've found some reports saying that these entries all come from Accept-Language headers (not Measurement Protocol) so it should be possible to block these requests at server level with a regex on Accept-Language that throws away anything that doesn't match the required format given in rfc7231. I'm going to take a look after Christmas hols if Akamai lets me add that such a filter in DSA. It should be relatively easy to do in Apache and NGINX, something like

RewriteCond %{HTTP:Accept-Language} !^$|\*$|([a-z]{2,3}(-[a-z]{2,3})?)(\s*,\s*[a-z]{2,3}(-[a-z]{2,3})?)*($|;) [NC]
RewriteRule ^.*$ "-" [F]

The regex isn't a complete validity check and untested yet, but it should get the job done. Might even work for a GA filter too.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, BitPoet said:

I've seen that too, hand in hand with a near doubling of new sessions in GA with arbitrary pages/view rate for last month, so this really messes up the stats. I've found some reports saying that these entries all come from Accept-Language headers (not Measurement Protocol) so it should be possible to block these requests at server level with a regex on Accept-Language that throws away anything that doesn't match the required format given in rfc7231. I'm going to take a look after Christmas hols if Akamai lets me add that such a filter in DSA. It should be relatively easy to do in Apache and NGINX, something like

RewriteCond %{HTTP:Accept-Language} !^$|\*$|([a-z]{2,3}(-[a-z]{2,3})?)(\s*,\s*[a-z]{2,3}(-[a-z]{2,3})?)*($|;) [NC]
RewriteRule ^.*$ "-" [F]

The regex isn't a complete validity check and untested yet, but it should get the job done. Might even work for a GA filter too.

Thanks - I have now done that for those spammers that spam through the site. Just wisg Google made it easier to run filters on GA for those that don't spam through the site/domain.

7 hours ago, fbg13 said:

Just came across this article https://kinsta.com/blog/language-spam/.

Thanks - that looks good. :-)