Unpublishing repeater items via API

CalleRosa40

Hi all!

How can I unpublish/hide a repeater item using the API instead of manually toggling its status in the backend? I searched high and low in the forums but did not find much on the topic ...

Knowing that repeater items are actually pages, I've tried playing around with $repeaterItem->addStatus(Page::statusUnpublished) and $repeaterItem->addStatus(Page::statusHidden). No luck though.

What's the correct way to do this? Could someone please put me on the right track? Thanks!

Are you sure that you dealing with the right pages / objects in $repeaterItem?

Where do you call that, in template scope? How have you set outputformatting, true or false?

Have you saved the page after changing the status?

• Like 1

@CalleRosa40 - you may want to look at this: https://github.com/processwire/processwire-issues/issues/36#issuecomment-258702228

Firstly, it shows how to unpublish a repeater, but it also shows that there is currently a bug with this - at least as far as I can tell, but Ryan hasn't responded to my last post, so will have to wait and see. I'd love your feedback on that Issue if you can also confirm what I am seeing.

• Like 3

@adrian Thanks a lot. That was the right track indeed. Yes, I'm experiencing exactly the same strange behavior as described in your bug report.

Setting $repeaterItem->status=2048 instead of using addStatus() works for me.

For the record, from FieldtypeRepeater.module:

* Page status notes for repeater items:
 * - Unpublished & Hidden: Ready page, not yet used. Appears in unformatted repeater PageArray but user has not saved it.
 * - Unpublished & On: Publish requested and can be published as long as no input errors.
 * - Unpublished & NOT On: Item has been unpublished.
 * Unpublished or hidden pages do not appear in formatted PageArray value, only in unformatted.

@horst Thanks to you, too. Yep, I kept all that in mind.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, CalleRosa40 said:

Yes, I'm experiencing exactly the same strange behavior as described in your bug report.

Would you mind adding a note to that issue to confirm that you are seeing it also?

Thanks!

3 minutes ago, CalleRosa40 said:

Setting $repeaterItem->status=2048 instead of using addStatus() works for me.

Yes, that works, but probably not a good idea, because status values are additive - it may not really matter with repeaters, but I would still recommend that we get Ryan to sort out the source of the problem.

• Like 1

@adrian I just added my two newbie cents to the Github thread.

A slightly cleaner and more "additive" solution would be this, I guess:

$repeaterItem->addStatus(Page::statusUnpublished);
$repeaterItem->removeStatus(Page::statusOn);

However, that's still a rather ugly workaround for PW's confusing behavior.

• Like 1