PHP 7.1 Error with ProcessWire

David Karich

Hi, I have changed today a productive site with a PW installation in version 3.0.37 on PHP 7.1. Unfortunately, the system does not seem to run anymore. The page loads and loads and loads until the timeout (both: frontend and backend). The following error is only logged in the Error Log:

- Premature end of script headers: index.php, referer: https://www.höhle-der-löwen.com/
- 9563#0: *21784 upstream timed out (110: Connection timed out) while reading response header from upstream
- 9563#0: *21901 upstream prematurely closed connection while reading response header from upstream

Does anybody have the same Problem? With PHP 7.0, everything runs smoothly.

2 minutes ago, Yannick Albert said:

Seems to me like a misconfiguration of either your php or nginx installation. I have some ProcessWire sites running on Apache (2.2, 2.4) and Nginx, both with PHP 7.1, no problems so far.

Hm, okay. Thanks for your feedback. Then I have to go into detail in the search. Actually, I used the same configuration as PHP7. The error occurred only since I have cleared the cache of ProCache and then went to the upgrade module. Since then, the error has occurred.

After a quick research...

Found this migration guide (PHP 7.0.x to PHP 7.1.x): http://php.net/manual/migration71.php

Maybe this is somehow related to your issue:

Dumb question: Have you tried to restart nginx and double checked that it runs with the correct php-cgi/php-fpm and latest mariadb/mysql?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

After a long back and forth and many tests, the problem persists. But it could break down on a module. Ryan's update module. The Web server only hangs up when this module is called.

After consulting the system administrator, he assured me that the server-side configuration is absolutely identical to the PHP 7.0 configuration. All modules, settings, paths, timeouts (60 seconds) are absolutely the same. Also the right PHP handlers are used. Only the PHP module "ioncubeloader" is not yet available for 7.1, is, according to my knowledge, but not required.

However, there is no useful information in the PHP log. I'm pretty much on the hose and do not get the problem solved. Without the update module, everything runs smoothly.

Does anyone have any idea what the problem is?

• 1 year later...
13 hours ago, adrian said:

@David Karich - did you ever learn anything more about this?

I am seeing that "Premature end of script headers" on a server (nginx as reverse proxy) on PHP 7.0. Does it still seem to be related to the PW Upgrades module?

@adrian I have no more problems with the upgrade module under PHP 7.0 and 7.1. However, I had a problem with PHP 7.2 some time ago. However, I can' t remember the exact error message. It was something with "Can't parse JSON from Github". Had then switched back to PHP 7.1 and it worked. I'm trying to reproduce that again.

• Like 1