Sign in to follow this  
Nils Wiere

Sorting and subfolders

This must be simple, however, I couldn't figure out how to do it. I got this structure in the admin tree:

Page 1 [Template A]

Children 1-1 [Template B]
    Children 1-2 [Template B]
    Children 1-3 [Template B]

Page 2 [Template A]

Children 2-1 [Template B]
    Children 2-2 [Template B]

Page 3 [Template A]

Children 3-1 [Template B]

What I want in the front end, is this sort order:

Children 1-1
Children 1-2
Children 1-3
Children 2-1
Children 2-2
Children 3-1

Plus, the order should depend on the order in the admin tree. So, if I move Page 3 on top of the tree, the children of Page 3 should appear first.

I tried this, but the order seemed to be random (without a connection to the order in the admin tree):

$pages->find("template=B, sort=sort");

I also tried this, and again I got a random looking order:

$pages->find("root.template=A, sort=sort");

Do you have any idea?

Thanks,
Nils

Hi @Nils Wiere

Try this:

$pages->find("template=B, sort=parent.title, sort=sort");

or this

$pages->find("template=B, sort=parent.sort, sort=sort");

Not sure that this will work, but give a try.

As alternative:

$parents = $pages->fint("template=A, sort=sort");
$items = new PageArray; 
foreach($parents as $parent) {
	$items->import($parent->children("sort=sort"));
}

• Like 6

I knew there's an easy solution (as always in ProcessWire) – thanks Zeka!

I wasn't aware that we have a sort option "parent.sort".

So for me, this was the solution:

$products = $pages->find("template=B, sort=parent.sort, sort=sort"); 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Nils Wiere said:

I knew there's an easy solution (as always in ProcessWire)

^-^

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By schwarzdesign
      I'm working on a news feed that will show the most recent news in a full teaser grid, and all older news as a simpler archive-type list view. My selectors so far:
      $news_full = $page->children("template=news, limit={$page->feed_count_full}"); $news_archive = $page->children("template=news, start={$page->feed_count_full}, limit=9999"); The $page->feed_count_full field controls how many items to show in the teaser grid (I've confirmed it contains the correct value, and the $news_full selector works as intended).
      This works, but I don't like the limit in the second selector. Unfortunately, if I leave it out (i.e. I only specify a start, not a limit), the start is ignored and I get all news instead. Not a big problem as we will never have more than 9999 news, but it still bothers me, as semantically speaking I don't want to set a limit in this case.
      Is this the intended behaviour of start/limit selectors? Is there a cleaner way to specify an offset (start selector) without a limit?
      ProcessWire Version 3.0.123
      Thanks!
    • By pwFoo
      I played with the Selectors object and would like to use it for a special use case...
      That is a custom Selectors object with dummy data converted to an php array to see the structure (Selectors object is a WireArray with "fields" added)
      Array ( [0] => Array ( [0] => Array ( [field] => seg1 [value] => val1 [not] => [group] => [quote] => [forceMatch] => ) [1] => Array ( [field] => seg2 [value] => val2 [not] => [group] => [quote] => [forceMatch] => ) ) )  
      But instead of "seg1" the field name is "field" with value "seg1" (= my field name).

So I can't search the Selectors WireArray (= custom WireArray with added Selectors objects) with PW "find('seg1=val1')", Is there a way to search with "find()" or build a simple wrapper to make the elements searchable / filterable with find()?
    • By louisstephens
      I have done a bit of searching, but I can not seem to find an actual answer. I have a list of services as child pages under "Services". I can output the services just fine, but I cant wrap my head around how to group them "alphabetically" like:
      Services A - Service "A" 1 - Service "A" 2 - Service "A" 3 B - Service "B" 1 - Service "B" 2 - Service "B" 3 C - Service "C" 1 - Service "C" 2 - Service "C" 3 Has anyone achieved this type of functionality before?
    • By Peter Knight
      <?php $Cats=$pages->find("parent=1086, id!=$page, sort=sort"); foreach($Cats as $Cat) { echo " I have a selector that pulls in 4 child pages of a parent and the order is set to reflect the order of the tree.
      My client has asked that instead of
      Cat 1 | Cat 2 | Cat 3 | Cat 4
      we instead display
      Cat 4 | Cat 1 | Cat 2 | Cat 3 
      However, I can't change the sort order in the tree.
      Can anyone guide me on the correct approach here?
      Thanks

• By theoretic
      Hi there! And thanks for Processwire!
      It appears that i've found something interesting about PW selectors. They should only be strings! Here's an example of SQL-like syntax for selector:
      $my_complex_selector = " name='some name', parameter=123, other_parameter=[subparam>=subvalue] "; Trying to use this selector lead to a very buggy PW behaviour. It appears that newlines are treated in a very special manner by PW selector engine, preventing the newlined selectors from working as expected.
      I cannot imagine a situation when an unescaped newline could be a part of selector or selector value, so stripping newline symbols from selector could be a good idea for further PW development. And, currently, another good idea is to write complex selectors as PHP arrays:
      $my_complex_selector = [ "name=$name", "param1=$param1", ]; and to implode them into a single line before using find() and other functions which use selectors.
      Sorry if i wrote something trivial, but having this post already present at support forum could save me a couple of hours. Hope mine will save that tame for someone else 😉