adrian

Admin Actions

Hi @adrian,

Have you given any thought to the idea of making some of your modules PW3-only?

For most modules I think it's nice to keep PW2 support (I have been doing that for my modules so far) but in the case of Admin Actions where the idea is that users can code their own actions it would be good to be able to declare the ProcessWire namespace in the action files, for the sake of code completion and avoiding false code warnings in an IDE.

I could add the namespace to ProcessAdminActions.module manually (to avoid fatal PHP errors), but then it will get lost when the module is upgraded.

This isn't a big issue and I can just comment out the namespace declaration in my action files after I've finished working on them. Just thought I'd ask for your view on things.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Robin S said:

Have you given any thought to the idea of making some of your modules PW3-only?

Not yet - I haven't come across any issues that the file compiler (or some small minor conditional) doesn't take care of.

Not sure I am ready to ditch 2.x support just yet, but I'll definitely keep in mind your argument re this module.

Maybe I should just ask here - anyone using this module on 2.x? Would anyone mind if it was made 3.x only?

• Like 1

Just installed your module, because I wanted to copy the contents of a repeater matrix field from one page to another.

It does not seem to work for repeater matrix fields though.

Could you add that as an option?

Thanks!

Hi @OllieMackJames - I'm afraid I don't have the time to do this at the moment, but I am sure you can extend the "Copy Repeater Items to Other Page" action to support RepeaterMatrix fields - probably just a matter of another loop. If you make those changes, I'd really appreciate a PR :)

Let me know if you have any questions.

• Like 1

@adrian, I created a pull request for adding support for Repeater Matrix to the "Copy Repeater Items to Other Page" action.

It only required a small modification to the field select options so I thought it best to keep this within the existing action rather than create a new action just for copying Repeater Matrix fields. I thought about allowing all fieldtypes that extend FieldtypeRepeater but decided it would be better to add fieldtypes on a case-by-case basis just in case someone has a custom fieldtype that extends FieldtypeRepeater in some weird and wonderful way that wouldn't be compatible with the action.

I also added a couple of other enhancements to the action - failure conditions for if the selected repeater field doesn't exist on the source or destination pages (previously the action reported a success in those cases). And copying repeater items now also copies any files or images included in the repeater items.

One last thing I added, to the module itself this time, is a link to the module config settings in the notice that advises that new actions are available.

I think it would also be handy to have a link the config settings in the process page - I often want to jump there to adjust allowed roles and the "in menu" option. I didn't include this in the pull request though - just something for you to consider.

• Like 4

Thanks @Robin S - looks like it is was much easier than I expected.

I also added your request for a link to the module settings from the Process page.

Really appreciate all the other tweaks and fixes - mucho appreciado!

Thanks again!

• Like 3

@Robin S wow! @adrian thanks for your answer.

I feel privileged to stand on the shoulders of all you coding giants.

I am just a user who runs into stuff and here I am within a day this wonderful community makes things happen.

What I am doing with my sites would not be possible without you coding giants.

So processwire coding giants, hats off to all of you and a big heartfelt thanks.

To all processwire coding giants: may your days be blessed with incredible coding insights that make things happen for all  of your personal and business endeavors and may this result in joy and whatever results you wish for in your lives!

THANKS!!!

• Like 2

Hello

Suggestion for a new one if anyone thinks it would be useful : change values of a checkbox.

For now, unless I'm wrong, only text fields could be setORreplace.

Thanks!!

9 hours ago, mel47 said:

Hello

Suggestion for a new one if anyone thinks it would be useful : change values of a checkbox.

For now, unless I'm wrong, only text fields could be setORreplace.

Thanks!!

Hi @mel47 - contributions are very welcome!

I did a search to see if this had been requested before. If it has sorry, for double posting, but I was wondering whether it would be possible to save actions. For instance with the EmailBatcher, I might want certain fields to always be the same and not have to fill them in each time I run the action.

Posted (edited)

I want to update the Email Batcher action to use pageListSelect instead of selector. Everything seems to work fine in that when I choose my page, the email field then shows the email field attached to the template I've chosen but on submission I get "The Email Batcher action was completed successfully" and no emails sent, whereas if I use 'type' => 'selector' I get "X emails were sent successfully" and the emails are received.

What else do I need to do to be able to use pageListSelect?

Edited by kongondo
Moved post here to the module's support forum. Also, please, no double posting.

2 hours ago, Tyssen said:

I did a search to see if this had been requested before. If it has sorry, for double posting, but I was wondering whether it would be possible to save actions. For instance with the EmailBatcher, I might want certain fields to always be the same and not have to fill them in each time I run the action.

Not quite sure how a save feature would work at the moment without a significant change to the interface. One possibility might be to store the last used options in a cookie and load those again if available. Would that suit your needs, or do you want something more permanent?

If we can come up with an approach that works, I'd be happy to implement at some point though - any thoughts?

The quickest option for you might be to simply clone the action into /site/templates/AdminActions and edit the defineOptions() method to hardcode the values you need. Or you could remove that method entirely and hardcode them into the executeAction() method so you wouldn't even get the option to change anything - this would be a good option if you have site editors using this - prevents them from breaking anything. Let me know if this works for your needs and if you need any help implementing.

• Like 1

Actually creating separate action files which have hard-coded values will probably be the easiest and quickest; didn't think of that!

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Tyssen said:

Edited 11 hours ago by kongondo
Moved post here to the module's support forum. Also, please, no double posting.

Sorry, whenever I've posted similar questions on other forums, I've always been told to not hijack threads and to start new ones.

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Tyssen said:

Sorry, whenever I've posted similar questions on other forums, I've always been told to not hijack threads and to start new ones.

No worries. I get your point . In this case, though, the module in question has its own support forum, hence, all questions regarding it should be directed to its support forum.

Edit: I think our forum guidelines could be clearer in this regard, though. I'll have a word with the other mods.

Edited by kongondo
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Tyssen said:

What else do I need to do to be able to use pageListSelect?

Thanks @kongondo for moving here - I wouldn't have seen that post otherwise!

@Tyssen - I just changed the email batcher to use pageListSelect and the email came through just fine. Not sure what might have gone wrong, but can you try again please?

If it still doesn't work, then you should try to debug the executeAction() method in that action to see if the recipients are being populated correctly. 

I would ask though how you are using this because a single page with one email field will only have one recipient - I don't really understand your use case - can you explain in a little more detail how a single selected page can work for your needs?

10 minutes ago, adrian said:

I would ask though how you are using this because a single page with one email field will only have one recipient - I don't really understand your use case - can you explain in a little more detail how a single selected page can work for your needs?

That's where I'm going wrong then. I'm choosing the parent page and assuming that it was going to work in the same way as it does when using selector, i.e. selecting all the parent's children. Not sure why it shows the email field though as there is no email field attached to the parent's template.

The reason I want to use pageListSelect is because even though this module is aimed at site admins, I'm hoping I can use the Batch Emailer at least for users with restricted access so that they can batch send emails to people assigned to pages that they can manage, and a pageListSelect is going to be more user-friendly for the less tech-savvy than them trying to work out what the page ID is etc.

@Tyssen - using a selector doesn't select the parent's children, it selects whatever matches. If you choose a "parent" selector then that's what you'll get, but it's not automatically behavior to get the children of a single selected page. 

The email field is shown because that dropdown just shows all defined email fields on the site - it's not limiting to the ones on a specific template. Remember that with the page selector approach we could be sending to pages with different templates.

Yes, it is meant as more of a site administrator tool, but you could easily make it simpler by cloning this and placing in /site/templates/AdminActions - just adjust this line:

$recipients = $this->wire('pages')->find($options['pages']);

to:

$recipients = $this->wire('pages')->find($options['pages'])->children();

and you'll get the children of the selected page.

You might also want to remove the email field from the options phase, and maybe also the Roles option. 

Basically pare it down to the bare minimum of options that your users will need - does that make sense?

Remember that AdminActions is more about the interface it provides for building and presenting an admin interface than the actual core actions that come with it. It's a tool to make your development of custom admin actions really easy - go forward and conquer :)

• Like 2

Yes, thanks very much. 👍

I've decided to just use a select fieldtype for choosing the pages and pass in some options so that it starts from a certain parent (using pageListSelect means showing the whole tree which is overkill). But I'm having trouble with the sending of emails. This is what I have so far:

<?php

class EmailBatcherCoordinator extends ProcessAdminActions {

protected function defineOptions() {

$pagesOptions = array();
        foreach($this->wire('pages')->get(3767)->children() as $age) $pagesOptions[$age->id] = $age->name;

return array(
            array(
                'name' => 'from',
                'label' => 'Who is sending',
                'description' => '',
                'notes' => '',
                'type' => 'email',
                'type' => 'select',
                'options' => array(
                    'user1@email.com'=>'User 1',
                    'user2@email.com'=>'User 2',
                ),
            ),
            array(
                'name' => 'pages',
                'label' => 'Pages',
                'description' => 'Select the parent of pages that contain the recipients\' email addresses.',
                'notes' => '',
                'type' => 'select',
                'options' => $pagesOptions,
                'columnWidth' => 50,
            ),
            // All the other options are the same
        );
    }

protected function executeAction($options) {

if($options['testAddress']) $testAddress = $options['testAddress'];

$recipients = $this->wire('pages')->find($options['pages'])->children();
        $emailField = $options['email'];
        print_r($recipients);

$i = 1;
        foreach($recipients as $recipient) {
            if(isset($testAddress)) {
                // if a test email, then only send first match from selected Pages or Users Roles
                if(isset($testAddress) && $i > 1) break;
                $toEmail = $testAddress;
            }
            else {
                $toEmail = isset($emailField) ? $recipient->$emailField : $recipient;
            }
            print_r($toEmail);

//replace curly braces codes with matching PW field names
            $htmlBody = $options['body'];
            $htmlBody = $this->parseBody($htmlBody, $options['fromEmail'], $recipient);

$sent = $this->sendNewUserEmail($toEmail, $options['from'], $options['from'], $options['subject'], $htmlBody);
            if($sent) {
                $this->successMessage = $i . ' email successfully sent.';
            }
            else {
                $this->failureMessage = 'Sorry, no emails could be sent.';
            }
            $i++;
        }
        return true;
    }

// Everything else is the same
}

So essentially all I've done so far is change how the $recipients are selected and change the from values in sendNewUserEmail to come from a dropdown rather than text inputs. Everything else is the same.

When I print $recipients, it shows the correct child pages but $toEmail prints as NULL and no email gets sent and the success message is The Email Batcher action was completed successfully instead of X emails sent.

Hey @Tyssen - please install Tracy Debugger - there are several notices that will indicate to you what the problems are. The key one is:

PHP Notice: Undefined index: email in .../AdminActions/EmailBatcherCoordinator.action.php:42

but there are several others. Once you go through those I am sure you'll be able to get it working :)

I've got Tracy installed. Which tab are you seeing that error on? I'm seeing several relating to FileCompiler but they're not restricted to Admin Actions and one from Mailgun because the to parameter is incorrect.

6 hours ago, Tyssen said:

I've got Tracy installed. Which tab are you seeing that error on? I'm seeing several relating to FileCompiler but they're not restricted to Admin Actions and one from Mailgun because the to parameter is incorrect.

image.png.523e239774165dbe35615d506ad02040.png

If you pasted the code I posted above into an action to test, it's probably because I removed all the bits I didn't change to make it shorter and easier to read. I added comments where I'd taken stuff out. So testAddress, email, body, etc. all exist in my version of the action.

I had missed one $options['fromEmail'] which I've now changed to $options['from'] but other than I'm not getting any other errors.

I've attached the action file if it helps.

EmailBatcherCoordinator.action.php