ProcessWire 2.3 features

ryan

I guess the response time of the requests can pile up. But I never experienced a slow admin other that the internal Apache server (osx) hangs a little. That has nothing to do with PW or PHP at all I think ( the rarely "stalls" happen to static HTML files to. )

That said, I don't think it will hurt if [[ async="async" ]] is added to some of the script tags.

I haven't used the async attribute before. The info for it seems to suggest that it's only for "external" scripts, but doesn't clarify what they mean by "external." I would assume that to mean scripts that exist on another domain, but who knows, maybe they just mean scripts that aren't inline in the HTML? If it's not implying another domain, then it seems like an interesting possibility. Load order is pretty important for a lot of these scripts, so not sure we'd be a good case for it. Though there may be a few scripts we can do it with.

Thanks joshuag. The PageLinkAbstractor module has been expanded and renamed to LinkMonitor. I've been using it for a couple of weeks locally and still have a few bugs to work out, but overall I think it'll be a nice addition.

Has anyone had a chance to try out the dev branch yet? I'm thinking about merging it into master here pretty soon, and just want to make sure I'm not the only one that's used it. :)

• Like 1

Has anyone had a chance to try out the dev branch yet? I'm thinking about merging it into master here pretty soon, and just want to make sure I'm not the only one that's used it. :)

Have been testing a little and so far it works well.

• Like 1

I´m not sure but this question comes definitly 1000 times, is there any information about this on the Admin-Site (at each installation)??

I know that from other CMS or PHP-Projects like phpbb, ... something like a "startpage" with usefull information for the Admin?

I know that from other CMS or PHP-Projects like phpbb, ... something like a "startpage" with usefull information for the Admin?

I'm not sure about the usefulness of this. I assume that on this kind of software people look for all the information on the website. These starting pages can get pretty annoying for someone that has to make lots of installs

• Like 1

I´m not sure but this question comes definitly 1000 times, is there any information about this on the Admin-Site (at each installation)??

The PW version is always present in the footer.

It's by intention there's no such info screen, and will hopefully stay like this.

Anyway there's always the possibility to create your own very easily. Also if you like dashboards this might come soon

• Like 1

Hey Ryan,

I just upgraded my dev site to 2.2.5, and my search doesn't work anymore.

It just fails to find anything, no matter the fields, type of search, or search term.

It's possible I'm missing another step in the upgrade process, but everything else seems fine.

Soma,

The search within the admin.

I've narrowed it down further, it only seems to fail when searching fields that are assigned to the user template.

I had my default search options setup to look for first_name, last_name, title.

edit: ...and no, I don't have it limited to another template.

Found one bug from latest version. If you only allow certain template as a child (like a blog-post under blog), then publishing those pages fails to this error msg:

Missing required value (template)

Reason for this is simple, this is how the template dropdown is on code:

<select id="template" class="required" name="template" disabled="disabled">
   <option selected="selected" value="48">blog-item</option>
</select>

Since it is disabled, then it wont be posted at all. I think there is two possible fixes: either make template selection not required or then just remove the disabled="disabled" attribute and use plain text and hidden field instead. Not sure if readonly (which is similar to disabled, but still sends the data) works with selects.

• Like 1

In the blog profile, I tried adding a new post under /posts/, and the family there is configured to limit it to that template (posts template only allows children of post, and post only allows parent of posts). But can't seem to duplicate this. I'm wondering if the scenario you had was a little different or maybe involved user access or something else? Either way, I'm thinking I can setup the Inputfields to not generate an error for any required fields that have a disabled attribute set, but just wanted to make sure I had a repeatable test case so that I could confirm when it is fixed.

I think it's only the user pages.

To reproduce you can also open "user" template and go to info, seeing how many pages use that template and press the link on the number to perform a search... it will show no search results.

Everything in admin is specifically excluded from the search results (including users) and has been for a couple months I think. Mainly, I just got sick of all my repeater values taking over my search results. :) I was mistakenly not thinking about users... I'll change this so that if you specify a template it won't exclude anything from superuser.

• Like 1

Comments manager is the main one, but some other things I've been planning to add that aren't necessarily tied to a version:

• addition of an optional website field
  • built-in honeypot spam protection
  • option to auto-redirect after a comment post, to prevent possible double post
  • simpler template integration (1 function call rather than 2)
  • support for textformatter plugins on comment text on comments
  • gravatar support

Gravatar support would be cool. I think I've seen it done somewhere else that it links to Gravatar based on the email address and defaults to a pre-set list of icons otherwise so you're not looking at the same boring silhouette or "no avatar" text. Something like that would be as simple as adding a default avatars folder and picking one at random and could make it a bit fun.

To see what I mean, scroll to the comments here and you'll see a bunch of stand-in cartoon avatars for those without one: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/08/28/rome-sweet-rome-crusader-kings-ii-expands/

Maybe not a necessary feature, but certainly an easy thing to code to make it as easy as dropping some images into a "default-avatars" folder to have it select one. If I had to guess, I think it might select those from the site above based on the square root of the member ID rounded to the nearest whole number or something like that, since they are the same for each person every time you load the page.

Anyway, I've babbled on about that point enough.

Spam protection - stopforumspam.com would be a good option if it's not in already, but there are others as well. The obvious issue is the more that you check against the longer it takes to query. Maybe when PW is a lot more mainstream it could even go down the route of a PW-run central anti-spam database like these forums have (run by IPB and spammers marked as spammers by site owners). Of course that requires manpower that's not available at present and the database would be very empty to begin with ;)

To prevent double post even without a redirect could a unique ID just not be sent with the form submission? I guess like on the forums you might want to say something in addition to what you just posted so it would be good to check if the content of the new post is the same as the old post and if not then append it to the previous post. I don't mean post, I mean comment :P

Textformatter plugins - are we talking about support for Markdown and the new BBCode one you've done? That would be fab.

I think that's all my thoughts for now. Brain tired, sleep imminent. Oh wait, it's only 1.45pm ;)

• Like 1