Warning when losing login session while editing a page

suntrop

When you're editing a page and meanwhile your login session expires, there should be a warning.

I don't know why, but I found myself in that situation at least twice and a friend of mine had lost text (got an email just now) . Maybe if the connection has dropped while you write or some other timeout!?

Anyhow, if you click save you are forwarded to the login page and the content is lost. Quite harmful :-)

Perhaps the "Save" button could check if the session is still available before finally submitting. Or a warning at the top and bottom. I think WordPress made a good solution and opens a modal window if you're session is lost.

• Like 7

I use the Page Edit Soft Lock, which issues a regular AJAX request to keep the lock updated. Unless you have session fingerprinting activated and use the IP address (which IMHO only makes sense in a local network), this should hold the session alive. Perhaps not a solution for all scenarios, but for most.

Edited by BitPoet
Added module link

Now that you mentioned @Soma's Page Edit Soft Lock module, the question is: why hasn't this been added to the core since 2012? It is just a few lines of code wich can even be shotened (the module config part of it),  but it sounds like a must have feature....

• Like 1