BrownHen - Home Automation Integrator

prestoav

This is our latest site using PW. Most of the grunt work is done with core modules but ProCache makes sure everything is super fast and the core image resize function was deployed everywhere an image is used to make sure everything stays looking good.

The site uses a premium theme for it's graphical layout with colours and some typography changed to match the companies in-house style. Page templates themselves are hybrids using bespoke collections of the content blocks in the theme. A 'site settings' page is was added to the admin which collects and allows edits to site wide details such as phone number, email, GA code and main menu items etc.

Comments welcome!

http://www.brownhensolutions.com/

• Like 7

Website looks good. Did you use any css grid ?

href="/site/assets/files/1016/brownhen_favicon.png"

How did you output the favicon png, did you hardcode  /site/assets/files/1016/brownhen_favicon.png

or did you use something like <?php echo $config->urls->templates . $variable ; ?>

For some reason I always have to hardcode the path as the php echo never works for me in case of the favicon.

4 hours ago, pwired said:

Website looks good. Did you use any css grid ?

href="/site/assets/files/1016/brownhen_favicon.png"

How did you output the favicon png, did you hardcode  /site/assets/files/1016/brownhen_favicon.png

or did you use something like <?php echo $config->urls->templates . $variable ; ?>

For some reason I always have to hardcode the path as the php echo never works for me in case of the favicon.

The template is based on Bootstrap so the grid comes from that.

The favicon is uploaded to a hidden site-wide 'settings' page with an image field for the favicon. I call the image from that using:

$pages->get("/settings/")->favicon->url

I get all the other site-wide stuff that way too so that I can get page title and descriptions for page meta tags etc. 

Hope that helps.

I've just noticed that the top logo and menu disappear completely when clicking on a top menu link or sub-link with the third/central mouse button, as I often open several pages in other tabs that way. They don't reappear like it is the case when clicking with the left mouse button.

This happens with Chromium. 
I've tried with Firefox, this doesn't happen.
With Opera, it's the same as with Chromium.

[ On Linux Mint ]

Edit: I'll remove this edit later. 2 little details:
"Simple,high performing home technology systems" -> a space is missing after the comma + no dot (difference)
"Saving time and money with smarter technology." -> dot (difference)

Edited by Christophe

Nice looking site. Only thing I noticed is, that your robots.txt contains some PHP:

Sitemap: <?php echo "http://" . $_SERVER["HTTP_HOST"] . $_SERVER["REQUEST_URI"] ?>sitemap.xml

And you could further more improve page speed by enabling compression, if your server supports it. Look in the ProCache settings under GZIP+More for more instructions.

1 hour ago, pwired said:

Thanks for the reply and your getting favicon example, going to try that. Have a feeling that is going to work. Maybe I find out later on why my php echo $config->urls-templates . . . never works for the favicon.

It is propably a typo, but it should be $config->urls->templates;)

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, AndZyk said:

Nice looking site. Only thing I noticed is, that your robots.txt contains some PHP:

Sitemap: <?php echo "http://" . $_SERVER["HTTP_HOST"] . $_SERVER["REQUEST_URI"] ?>sitemap.xml

And you could further more improve page speed by enabling compression, if your server supports it. Look in the ProCache settings under GZIP+More for more instructions.

It is propably a typo, but it should be $config->urls->templates;)

Hi AndZyk,

Robots.txt fixed so thanks for that.

The site is running compression and a couple of test sites I just ran it through confirm that. Is there something else you spotted that suggests otherwise?

Cheers,

Geoff.

My only source is PageSpeed Insights and there are two fonts and an external script not compressed, but maybe they slip trough the compression rules:

https://developers.google.com/speed/pagespeed/insights/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.brownhensolutions.com

Minifying HTML also helps, but you have to be careful with the rules inside ProCache, if you are using for example SVGs inside your HTML. Compressing images is also worth a shoot. I prefer ImageOptim for that.

But your site is already fast. So that would be a nice to have. ;)

• Like 1