Auto Smush

matjazp

Module: Auto Smush

https://github.com/matjazpotocnik/AutoSmush 

Optimize/compress images.

In Automatic mode images that are uploaded can be automatically optimized. Variations of images that are created on resize/crop and admin thumbnails can also be automatically optimized. In Manual mode "Optimize image" link/button will be present. This allows manual optimization of the individual image or variation. In Bulk mode all images, all variations or both can be optimized in one click. Will process images sitewide.

Two optimization "engines" are avaialable. reShmush.it is a free (at the moment) tool that provides an online way to optimize images. This tool is based on several well-known algorithms such as pngquant, jpegoptim, optipng. Image is uploaded to the reSmush.it web server, then optimized image is downloaded. There is a 5 MB file upload limit and no limit on number of uploaded images. "Local tools" is set of executables on the server for optimizing images: optipng, pngquant, pngcrush, pngout, advpng, gifsicle, jpegoptim, jpegtran. Binaries for Windows are provided with this module in windows_binaries folder, copy them somewhere on the PATH environment variable eg. to C:\Windows.

Similar modules:

JpegOptimImage by Jonathan Dart: https://processwire.com/talk/topic/6667-jpegoptimimage/ 

TinyPNG Image Compression by Roope: https://github.com/BlowbackDesign/TinyPNG 

ProcessImageMinimize by conclurer: https://processwire.com/talk/topic/5404-processimageminimize-image-compression-service-commercial/ 

Forum discusion: https://processwire.com/talk/topic/12111-crowdfunded-tinypng-integration-module/

Module created by Roland Toth (@tpr).

• Like 13

I don't know about plans. The service is up for quite a time, sure more over a year, but it's not clear who is owner of site. Site is created by French Tech, the collective name for all those working in the French startup market. There is also no privacy policy available, so who knows what happen with your uploaded images. There are other services with "free" plans, but with limitations, like file size (100kB) or number of images (eg. 500 per month). I actually don't like web services, because first you upload the image to your server, then upload to web service and then download it. That's why I use local tools on the server, but that come with a price, cpu & memory usage, but I can aford it, since I'm the sysdamin :-) 

Auto Smush is somehow different from other modules, since it does not add the method(s) to PageImage, thus you don't have to change your code and also you may uninstall (or disable) the module at any time without code modification in your templates.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, matjazp said:

Module created by Roland Toth (@tpr).

Only started it :) Then came @matjazp and fixed a number of issues, added local tools and so on. I kinda lost interest when I made it work on my sites and do not wanted to invest more time to improve and make it ready for public. So big thanks to matjazp, and hopefully after a few iterations it will be more stable.

• Like 1

Great! I was looking for a module like this after https://minimize.pw/ closed the doors.

I have to test it tomorrow. I guess it works with Croppable Image 3, too, doesn’t it? Or let’s better phrase it: Does automatic mode work with all modules which extend the functionality of PW’s default image field? That would really make optimizing images a no-brainer. :-)

On 11/20/2016 at 8:25 AM, matjazp said:

Sorry for inconvenience! I just realised that the whole directory was missing on github. I fixed that and also upgraded AS to v1.0.2 that add support for CroppableImage3.

That fixed it. (I was getting the same error.) Works great!

Is there anything I have to set up to use the local optimization tools?

I'm on a shared webspace, but each customer has a separate FastCGI PHP interpreter. So it should work according to the module’s documentation. Or did I miss anything?

The error messages say “Command "jpegoptim" not found.” or the similar message for pngs.

It looks like executable is not found because it's not within the PATH. Do php -r "print getenv('PATH');" from shell or phpinfo(); from php and check for environment variable PATH. Make sure that jpegoptim (and others) are on the path. You could also check what shell is executed: echo shell_exec("echo $0");  It's possible that it's sh and not bash  You may need to use the putenv command or determine whether your path needs to be set in /etc/profile, ~/.profile or ~/.bashrc in order for it to be picked up by the user runing php. Some versions of apache read configuration from /etc/apache2/envvars . You can set environment vars locally within a VirtualHost config using SetEnv. Or it might help if you put putenv('PATH=/your/path'); somewhere in the php, just for the test.

You could also set the path of jpegoptim (and other binaries) by modifying optimizeSettings in AutoSmush.module:

$this->optimizeSettings = array(
            'ignore_errors'     => false, //in production could be set to true
            'jpegtran_options'  => array('-optimize', '-progressive', '-copy', ' all'),
            'jpegoptim_options' => array('--preserve', '--all-progressive', '--strip-none', '-T' . self::JPG_QUALITY_THRESHOLD),
            'optipng_options'   => array('-i0', '-o2', '-quiet', '-preserve'),
            'advpng_options'    => array('-z', '-3', '-q'),
            'jpegoptim_bin'     => '/path/to/jpegoptim', <== add this line
        );

All this is specific to the environment, so I can't give detail instructions on how to make "Local tools" to work. I'm also not a linux user, I tested tools on windows. Let me know how it goes.

• Like 2

On 23.11.2016 at 9:28 PM, matjazp said:

Let me know how it goes.

Since my Linux knowledge is quite limited, I had to research and try a bit. Only the last option (inserting the path into the module file) worked – but only for jpegoptim. If i try to upload a png, I receive an error message telling me that the pngquant command doesn’t work, even if the module now knows the path to the binary.

To be honest, that’s too much work to investigate. I just use resmush.it as long as it works.

Hi, sorry for the late reply. I'm using OptimizerFactory library and that's how it works. Quick workaround would be changing the source code in the library, so that only one optimizer would run. Open /site/modules/AutoSmush/image-optimizer/src/ImageOptimizer/OptimizerFactory.php and change to this:

$this->optimizers['png'] = new ChainOptimizer(array(
            $this->optimizers['optipng'], //reversed the order so optipng is first
            $this->optimizers['pngquant'],
            $this->optimizers['pngcrush'],
            $this->optimizers['advpng']
        //));
        ), true); //if true, just first optimizer will run, if false all optimizers will run

I'll see what I can do, since others that are using this library has similar problems. Author of the library does not response to this issue, but we will find a solution. It might take some time though.

Thanks for the explanation, @matjazp. As I said, I'm fine with being able to use resmush.it via the module, since resmush.it works like a charm, and I don’t have any images which are not sooner or later made publicly available (so there are no privacy issues).

Being independent from resmush.it would be a nice extra, but it’s not really required from my side. This would be interesting for cases where PW and Autosmush are used to build a website for a closed user group with confidential content which should not be send around between servers.

I made some changes in v1.0.4 (just uploaded to GH). At the bottom at the module config you can see what is the path being search for local optimizers (executables) and which optimizers have been found. If optimizer is not found, then it's skipped. I extended the search path so you can put optipng, jpegoptim and gifsicle on the root of PW ($config->paths->root) on templates directory  ($config->paths->templates) and assets directory ($config->paths->assets). If you have shell access then you can install all three mentioned optimizers with apt-get install optipng jpegoptim gifsicle Hope that helps.

• Like 1

Thanks for the great module, but I get the following error in php7 environment. It runs smoothly in php5.

require_once(): Failed opening required '/home/admin/public_html/site/modules/AutoSmush./ImageOptimizer.php' (include_path='.:/usr/share/php')

The error is gone after I change line 5 in AutoSmush.module from

require_once /*NoCompile*/__DIR__ . './ImageOptimizer.php';

to

require_once /*NoCompile*/__DIR__ . '/ImageOptimizer.php';

(remove dot before /ImageOptimizer.php)

However, in Local tool optimizers info, the module cannot find any exe.(EDIT: I found that you have posted solution above. Let me try first, thanks)

EDIT: Solved by simply  apt-get install optipng jpegoptim gifsicle

• Like 2

Just before commit to GH I added /*NoCompile*/ option introduced in lasted PW dev and somehow added dot, don't know why  :-) I hope I didn't break other things... It's working fine on windows with php 7.1, tried on linux with php 7.0 and got an error. I just pushed a fix for that. Thx for reporting.

Optimizers on linux: I can't make instructions on how to install them, since there are so many flavors of *x, but it looks like apt-get is now some sort of standard. 

• 1 month later...

I get the following error when installing from PW Modules.

Also tried to download and install direct from github.

It seems to install fine but this error is apparent when I click the Settings button on AutoSmush 1.0.5

Fatal error: Call to a member function add() on null in /var/www/vhosts/domain.com/httpdocs/site/modules/AutoSmush/AutoSmush.module on line 752

Error: Call to a member function add() on null (line 752 of /var/www/vhosts/domain.com/httpdocs/site/modules/AutoSmush/AutoSmush.module) 

1 hour ago, Peter Knight said:

I get the following error when installing from PW Modules.

Also tried to download and install direct from github.

It seems to install fine but this error is apparent when I click the Settings button on AutoSmush 1.0.5

I think this was an error from running 2.7.3 (or similar).

Upgraded to 3.0.33 and all is working.