Release: Redirects

apeisa

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi. I imported thousands of urls and it looks ok, i can see more hits for almost each url, but i get this error in my log:

Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/lswn/public_html/site/modules/ProcessRedirects/ProcessRedirects.module:274) in /home/lswn/public_html/wire/core/Session.php on line 350

any guess?

Something already sent some output before the header() call. View the source and be on the lookout for a PHP error message or notice at the very top of the output. It's even possible it may be some whitespace by a module that ends with ?> and a space (this is one reason why it's not good to end your PHP files with ?>). When you view the source, do a "select all" so that you can identify if any whitespace is present. This will prevent a header() call from being successful. 

• 2 months later...

Hi Antti,

I would love to see one more field for this module: info-field for storing the reason for this redirect. Just a small textarea where you can write something. Could it be possible to have this?

hmm. not sure I fully understand the value for it...? In my use it would always be "url from old site" or "marketing shortcut" and both of those are pretty obvious. What kind of information you would store there?

I like that feature too. Right now we print out this page and write the notes by hand.

(For the same reason I include an "internal notes" textarea and a "reminder" date on every template, so I can leave internal comments on any page, if I need to remember something there.)

Uh. You guys seem to live in different world than I do ;) I mean I don't remember ever removed redirects. They are permanent you know.

How about others? This would be minor addition, but not keen on adding features I don't need (unless everyone else needs it).

We use redirects for exampel for temporary addresses that redirect to temporary questionaries or registration forms for events etc. Those addresses will be used in print and have to be easy to remember even when the actual registration happens in a complex address with many attributes in the url.

Adrian, 

No that is not perfect for us.

We need the urls to be easy to remember. Lets have an example:

We have an event called "April Event 2014" and the registration would be at http://www.eventregistration.com/register.aspx?id=2344,enter=567. I would make a redirect http://www.ourdomain.com/aprilevent2014/ -> http://www.eventregistration.com/register.aspx?id=2344,enter=567. Now I can print this http://www.ourdomain.com/aprilevent2014/ in all the ads we make for the event on print etc.

And if we have many redirects for different purposes, an info field would be helpful to put info about: how long do we need this redirect, who is responsible for this etc.

I think how you are using the redirects module is still more like a url shortener than why this module exists (keeping urls form old site alive and also permanent shortcuts to most important stuff, like /board/ => /about_us/people/board/).

Have you thought about creating a template called "redirect" and adding two fields for it: redirect_url & description. Template code would be:

$session->redirect($page->redirect_url);

You could use that method for your "non permanent" needs and keep redirects module for urls that need to live "forever".

• Like 2

Fair enough. Just in case you don't know, that module does easily support manual creation of the link. Based on it's default configuration you could do something like:

http://www.ourdomain.com/r/aprilevent2014/ but you can change the "r" to something else if you wish. Regardless, maybe the redirects module is cleaner for your needs.

Hi,

is there a possibility to redirect or rewrite an old gallery with all its subpages to a single page. I relaunched a site using following URL structure, eg:

/scenario.php?ordner=gallery&datei=show&Gallery_ID=2&Unterkategorie=0
/scenario.php?ordner=gallery&datei=show&Gallery_ID=2&Image_ID_before=14&ZuStr=
/scenario.php?ordner=gallery&datei=show_details&Gallery_ID=2&Image_ID=5643&Model_ID=&Unterkategorie_ID=&ZuStr=

Now I want to redirect all pages from the "Gallery_ID=2" to one single PW page e.g. example.com/gallery/people/

Is this possible with this module without creating a single redirect for every old page or how can I handle this task?

Greets!

• 1 month later...

Greetings. I think I may be confused about how this module works. I can establish a redirect that just involves a directory (i.e. "/summer/") but when I give it a path that ends with a php file name ("/uaa/advising/majors/minoff.php") it tells me it is not a valid URL.

Maybe this module will not work with a path that ends with .php, like Soma's trouble with .aspx?

Hm, interesting. Nope, I'm wanting PW to take over for all my old static pages. My site is configured to run on both a dev and production environment, and I'm wondering if that is causing a problem, even though the path is relative.

Thanks for the confirmation that it *should* work. :)