Ever felt sorry about picking a CMS (ie processwire) instead of a more general platform (ie Rails, Django, laravel)?

usillos

In my experience, tech decisions that you make early on may come back to haunt you.

In CMSs in particular, the first 80% is definitely easier than if you had used no CMS. But the last 20% of the project becomes a huge struggle with the 'world view' of the CMS you picked. The farther this view is from what you are building, the worse the struggle.

Now, PW is kinda a framework and a CMS, and it may well be far more flexible than most. Having said that...

Ever felt sorry about picking a CMS (ie processwire) instead of a more general platform (ie Rails, Django, laravel)? 

I've never regretted choosing ProcessWire for any project. There have been a few times recently where I used Laravel, but those were projects where the decisions were made before my involvement. Don't get me wrong, Laravel is great, and I enjoy working with it. There wasn't really anything involved with those projects that made Laravel a better choice than ProcessWire. 

• Like 2

First of all, your question is asking to compare apples to bananas. ProcessWire is first and foremost a CMS, but with a great (smallish) framework beneath it, whereas Laravel and the others you named are big feature-rich frameworks. But to answer it anyways:

(In it's role as framework) I've never regretted choosing ProcessWire for what it does, but if so rather for what it doesn't. E.g. tests are first class citizens in other frameworks out there and ProcessWire doesn't have that. Also ProcessWire's core is not the kind of framework which does come with all batteries included. If you need more advanced features e.g. like queueing stuff for later processing or handling notifications it's often more manual work, than it might be in your alternatives. On the other hand you'll get great data-modeling tools and the accompanied backend nearly for free.

If you rather want to compare ProcessWire to other CMSs the bullet-points would certainly be quite different, as the use-cases are probably quite different.

• Like 9