Speed, using find vs children methods

muzzer

I just had a duh! moment and thought I should share as it may be useful to others, especially PW beginners. I know a lot of you will go "yeah well duh...." and yeah, well I feel like a bit of an idiot but anyways....

I had a page outputting a table detailing data from about 200 records (PW pages). For each record it searched for child pages of a certain template, probably averaging 3 child pages per record and added some data from those pages to each row of the table. Simple stuff.

The page was averaging about 12 seconds to load. Anyway, today I got frustrated enough to try to work out why it was so slow. Turns out I realised that the child pages I was searching for were all direct children, so I changed my search method from

$pages->get(....)->find(.....) 

to

$pages->get(.....)->children(.....)

and blow me down the page load has gone from 12 seconds to a tad over 1 second. Turns out each child page had many child pages of their own (thousand of pages in total) and all these were being searched with the find() method. Stupid mistake, but I think right from the beginning of my learning of PW the find() method was ingrained.

So hopefully this helps some newbies and others like me. Check out

http://cheatsheet.processwire.com/page/built-in-methods-reference/page-find-selector/

and 

http://cheatsheet.processwire.com/page/built-in-methods-reference/page-children-selector/

for more info on these methods and others.

• Like 13

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Similar Content

• By muzzer
      Existing PW site version 2.7.2 core running on php7.1. Site is perhaps 7 yrs old and never misses a beat. Can't speak highly enough about this solid version, but....
      As new php versions are released (v8 in the next year I think?) and each seems to get quicker I'm looking at upgrading to php7.3 or 7.4 and upgrading the site to PW v3.x.
      I've been away from the forums since v3 was released so don't know much about it. I guess it's stable as it's been around for ages now, but what I'm wondering is:
      what are the real advantages of upgrading to v3 for a site which is actively used but with only periodic development. And what are the disadvantages if any? Is there any speed impact (good or bad) in either general site speed under 3.x or admin-use speed/ease of use? any issues with either PW version with newer php versions (>7.1) I should know about? is there any good write-ups/vids about new features etc of v3 compared to v2.7? Thank you

• By schwarzdesign
      ProcessWire added the numReferences property in 3.0.107, which returns the count of all pages having a reference to the page object. However, apparently it's not possible to use this property inside a selector. I'm trying to find all pages that are referenced at least once:
      $pages->find('template=service, numReferences>0'); This throws an error: "Field does not exist: numReferences".
      Is there another way to filter by the number of references? Of course, I could manually filter the results of the find query, but that feels overly complicated. Ideally, I would also like to filter the number of references from a specific field; that is, find all pages that are referenced at least once in one specific page reference field.
      Is there a way to do this? I guess supporting numReferences in selectors would be a feature request - if so, is it feasible?
      Thanks!

• By louisstephens
      So I reread my first draft, and it made absolutely no sense (I deleted it to hopefully better explain myself).  I am trying to make a system (that to me is a bit complicated) utilizing jquery and processwire together. My whole goal is to put a url like https://domain.com/launch?first_name=jim&occupation=builder in a script tag on another site(just a localhost .php page) to then pull out the data for that person and append to divs etc. Basically, the initial script tag would point to "launch" which has a content-type of "application/javascript". Using jquery, I would pull out the persons name and occupation and then make a specific ajax get request to "domain.com/api" (in json format) for a look up of the person. Essentially then I could pull that particular person's information from the json data, and do with it how I please in the "launch" page.  In processwire, I have a page structure like:
      People -Jim Bob (template: person ) --Occupations (template: basic-page) ---Builder (template: occupation) ---Greeter (template: occupation) It is really just a bunch of people with their occupations and a few fields to the occupation template. With the "api" (template: api) url, I was hoping to return all the data (of people) in json format like:
      Example Format:
      { "id": 1, "title": "Jim Bob", "occupations": { "builder": { "id": 44, "title": "Builder", "years_worked": 1, "etc": "ect", }, "Greeter": { "id": 44, "title": "Greeter", "years_worked": 1, "etc": "ect", }, } } Where I get lost is really outputting the page names and nesting in the occupations into json. I have used Pages2JSON before, but I was a bit lost on how to implement what i was thinking.

I have access to all the local host files, but I was hoping to kind of build out a "system" where I could place the script tag/parameters in any project, and be able to interact with the data without doing an ajax call on the actual site. In a way, this would keep processwire handling all the data and requests, and my other "projects" just with a simple script tag. This might all be way too much/over complicated, but I couldn't quite wrap my head around how to achieve it. 
    • By Peter Knight
      Is there a way to make JPGs progressive by default via the API?
      I've added the following to my site/config.php file but user-uploaded images are often displayed as non progressive.
      $config->imageSizerOptions = array( 'upscaling' => true, // upscale if necessary to reach target size? 'cropping' => true, // crop if necessary to reach target size? 'autoRotation' => true, // automatically correct orientation? 'interlace' => true, // use interlaced JPEGs by default? (recommended) 'sharpening' => 'soft', // sharpening: none | soft | medium | strong 'quality' => 95, // quality: 1-100 where higher is better but bigger 'hidpiQuality' => 60, // Same as above quality setting, but specific to hidpi images 'defaultGamma' => 0.5, // defaultGamma: 0.5 to 4.0 or -1 to disable gamma correction (default=2.0) ); Thanks
    • By pwFoo
      I played with the Selectors object and would like to use it for a special use case...
      That is a custom Selectors object with dummy data converted to an php array to see the structure (Selectors object is a WireArray with "fields" added)
      Array ( [0] => Array ( [0] => Array ( [field] => seg1 [value] => val1 [not] => [group] => [quote] => [forceMatch] => ) [1] => Array ( [field] => seg2 [value] => val2 [not] => [group] => [quote] => [forceMatch] => ) ) )  
      But instead of "seg1" the field name is "field" with value "seg1" (= my field name).

So I can't search the Selectors WireArray (= custom WireArray with added Selectors objects) with PW "find('seg1=val1')", Is there a way to search with "find()" or build a simple wrapper to make the elements searchable / filterable with find()?