muzzer

Speed, using find vs children methods

I just had a duh! moment and thought I should share as it may be useful to others, especially PW beginners. I know a lot of you will go "yeah well duh...." and yeah, well I feel like a bit of an idiot but anyways....

I had a page outputting a table detailing data from about 200 records (PW pages). For each record it searched for child pages of a certain template, probably averaging 3 child pages per record and added some data from those pages to each row of the table. Simple stuff.

The page was averaging about 12 seconds to load. Anyway, today I got frustrated enough to try to work out why it was so slow. Turns out I realised that the child pages I was searching for were all direct children, so I changed my search method from

$pages->get(....)->find(.....) 

to

$pages->get(.....)->children(.....)

and blow me down the page load has gone from 12 seconds to a tad over 1 second. Turns out each child page had many child pages of their own (thousand of pages in total) and all these were being searched with the find() method. Stupid mistake, but I think right from the beginning of my learning of PW the find() method was ingrained.

So hopefully this helps some newbies and others like me. Check out

http://cheatsheet.processwire.com/page/built-in-methods-reference/page-find-selector/

and 

http://cheatsheet.processwire.com/page/built-in-methods-reference/page-children-selector/

for more info on these methods and others.

• Like 13

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By schwarzdesign
      ProcessWire added the numReferences property in 3.0.107, which returns the count of all pages having a reference to the page object. However, apparently it's not possible to use this property inside a selector. I'm trying to find all pages that are referenced at least once:
      $pages->find('template=service, numReferences>0'); This throws an error: "Field does not exist: numReferences".
      Is there another way to filter by the number of references? Of course, I could manually filter the results of the find query, but that feels overly complicated. Ideally, I would also like to filter the number of references from a specific field; that is, find all pages that are referenced at least once in one specific page reference field.
      Is there a way to do this? I guess supporting numReferences in selectors would be a feature request - if so, is it feasible?
      Thanks!

• By louisstephens
      So I reread my first draft, and it made absolutely no sense (I deleted it to hopefully better explain myself).  I am trying to make a system (that to me is a bit complicated) utilizing jquery and processwire together. My whole goal is to put a url like https://domain.com/launch?first_name=jim&occupation=builder in a script tag on another site(just a localhost .php page) to then pull out the data for that person and append to divs etc. Basically, the initial script tag would point to "launch" which has a content-type of "application/javascript". Using jquery, I would pull out the persons name and occupation and then make a specific ajax get request to "domain.com/api" (in json format) for a look up of the person. Essentially then I could pull that particular person's information from the json data, and do with it how I please in the "launch" page.  In processwire, I have a page structure like:
      People -Jim Bob (template: person ) --Occupations (template: basic-page) ---Builder (template: occupation) ---Greeter (template: occupation) It is really just a bunch of people with their occupations and a few fields to the occupation template. With the "api" (template: api) url, I was hoping to return all the data (of people) in json format like:
      Example Format:
      { "id": 1, "title": "Jim Bob", "occupations": { "builder": { "id": 44, "title": "Builder", "years_worked": 1, "etc": "ect", }, "Greeter": { "id": 44, "title": "Greeter", "years_worked": 1, "etc": "ect", }, } } Where I get lost is really outputting the page names and nesting in the occupations into json. I have used Pages2JSON before, but I was a bit lost on how to implement what i was thinking.

I have access to all the local host files, but I was hoping to kind of build out a "system" where I could place the script tag/parameters in any project, and be able to interact with the data without doing an ajax call on the actual site. In a way, this would keep processwire handling all the data and requests, and my other "projects" just with a simple script tag. This might all be way too much/over complicated, but I couldn't quite wrap my head around how to achieve it. 
    • By Peter Knight
      Is there a way to make JPGs progressive by default via the API?
      I've added the following to my site/config.php file but user-uploaded images are often displayed as non progressive.
      $config->imageSizerOptions = array( 'upscaling' => true, // upscale if necessary to reach target size? 'cropping' => true, // crop if necessary to reach target size? 'autoRotation' => true, // automatically correct orientation? 'interlace' => true, // use interlaced JPEGs by default? (recommended) 'sharpening' => 'soft', // sharpening: none | soft | medium | strong 'quality' => 95, // quality: 1-100 where higher is better but bigger 'hidpiQuality' => 60, // Same as above quality setting, but specific to hidpi images 'defaultGamma' => 0.5, // defaultGamma: 0.5 to 4.0 or -1 to disable gamma correction (default=2.0) ); Thanks
    • By pwFoo
      I played with the Selectors object and would like to use it for a special use case...
      That is a custom Selectors object with dummy data converted to an php array to see the structure (Selectors object is a WireArray with "fields" added)
      Array ( [0] => Array ( [0] => Array ( [field] => seg1 [value] => val1 [not] => [group] => [quote] => [forceMatch] => ) [1] => Array ( [field] => seg2 [value] => val2 [not] => [group] => [quote] => [forceMatch] => ) ) )  
      But instead of "seg1" the field name is "field" with value "seg1" (= my field name).

So I can't search the Selectors WireArray (= custom WireArray with added Selectors objects) with PW "find('seg1=val1')", Is there a way to search with "find()" or build a simple wrapper to make the elements searchable / filterable with find()?
    • By celfred
      Hello,
      I'm struggling with this : a 'group' field of 'Page' type.
      The parent of selectable pages is '/groups', the template is 'group', and a member can create some groups in the /groups tree. I would like this user to see only the groups he or she has created so in my 'Find selector' in the backend, I would like to use :

template=group, created_users_id=$user->id But that doesn't seem to work... I still get the list of all available groups in the /groups tree.
      Any idea ?
      I had a feeling I had already seen that before (something like $user->id must be replaced by users_id or something, but I can't find anything in the Forums... and all my tests keep failing...