Your favourite projects other than PW?

Marek

What are some other projects that you follow or find interesting? For example in open source world? Here are some that I find interesting

Godot engine - open source, relatively new game engine... when reading through tutorial they are explaining working with scenes and nodes, as it makes this engine kind of different from others, it works in a tree structure, everything can be a scene, and it is something that is very powerful after you understand it ... you know, that reminded of something :)

Red lang - different kind of programming language that you can cross compile, with native GUI ... you can be download it, it is under 1MB ...on their website they mention that they are fans of eve-lang which is also interesting.

Open source ecology - not a software, but they are building houses, in 5 days, self-sufficient on energy, water, with greenhouse, which can produce more food than a family needs, so you can sell it. ad it is still cheap. But not only that. They are also developing tractors, 3d printers, wind turbines and what not.

Like PW these projects seems to be all very well thought out, something that is not yet fully understood by a lot of people, but there is a future in them... kind of genius projects ... i don't know how to explain :) simply, for me they are in similar category like PW.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Marek said:

Open source ecology - not a software, but they are building houses, in 5 days, self-sufficient on energy, water, with greenhouse, which can produce more food than a family needs, so you can sell it. ad it is still cheap. But not only that. They are also developing tractors, 3d printers, wind turbines and what not.

OSE as an idea is good, but the project leader has not been good with managing the projects and the people contributing to them. Over the years several teams have formed and left - most of them frustrated. If Marcin can change his style, it will work.

I also follow Eve development.

• Like 1

QGIS, a really great and capable free, open-source gis software. Plugins available to make some quick and easy webmaps.

Inkscape, definitely not flawless but as far as free vector graphics progs go, it is hard to beat. 

• Like 1

That is a great topic! Hope to find out about more of the cool stuff from you people, so please keep it coming! Here is my little addition to the list:

1. Deployer - a deployment tool written in PHP. I am working with it deploying PW projects. Think of it a s Capistrano on PHP. The project is mostly a one man show similarly to ProcessWire. The author asked for support recently. I am the first and pitifully the only one on the bakers list yet. As I like the project a lot I encourage you to try it out in your deployment process and give it a little support if you can afford it and find it useful.
  2. ERPNext - an open source python+js based ERP from India. I like a lot playing with it but just do not have the courage to start using. It is configurable, said to have easy and powerfull API just like PW and looks good. And it is true opensource comparing to competitors.
  3. Zabbix - a powerful infrastructure monitoring service from Russia. Something like nagios but fully opensource. A thing to monitor your servers uptime and site availability.
  • Like 2