Blog post: A look at the new ProfilerPro module

ryan

While we don't have a new core version for you this week, 3.0.41 will be here next week, with 3.0.40 becoming the new master at the same time. This week, I'll introduce something new I've been working on for awhile here (ProfilerPro), and think some of you might find it as useful as I have. 

https://processwire.com/blog/posts/a-look-at-the-new-profilerpro-module/

• Like 17

hi ryan,

first of all: great blog post! and great news! :)

i want to start a discussion here (not at the blog post comments) as the forum is the main spot for that and has more features like quoting and so on...

i want to support @Michael Murphy with his request of a solid import/export helper and setting up new projects. i've developed some parts on my own but they are far from production ready and tailored exactly to my needs and my environment.

what could really speed up everyones development process would IMHO be:

• export/import function of complete site (not site profile!)
    • include all data into the export (also users and wire folder)
    • include an installer script to re-import the complete site (would be great for pulling live data easily to one's local dev environment)
  • restore site from given dump
    • ability to wipe all users except admin
    • ability to set new admin password and db credentials
    • ability to reset salt

the second point would help setting up new projects quickly. i always find myself installing the same modules, setting all the settings... it would even be greater to define such installation profiles via json or the like so we could host them on github and share them. this would also be great for testing / trying out new modules:

1. grab installer (installer.grab.pw)
  2. put in file to installer config file (eg github/xyz)
  3. set database settings
  4. install

• Like 6

A ProDevTools request:

A module that puts PW into "record mode", where template/field additions and changes (via admin or API) are recorded in some way. The idea being that a live site could be cloned to a dev environment, changes made and recorded, and then the changes "played back" on the live site to apply them.

7 hours ago, bernhard said:

the second point would help setting up new projects quickly. i always find myself installing the same modules, setting all the settings

I use an exported profile for this, which includes all the modules, templates, settings, etc, that I like to have as a starting point for new projects. Exported profiles don't include config.php tweaks, but if you use the ProcessWireConfig module (why isn't this great module in the directory?) then restoring your customised config settings only requires copying config.json to /site/assets/config/. The only thing missing then is user accounts.

• Like 3