Image in Repeater only editable by Superuser

MonkeyTennis

I'm working on a production site from 2012, running Processwire 2.3.

We have an image field called 'main_teaser_image' that's used by various teasers/widgets across the site. When the image field is used in a standard widget, both Superusers and Editors can edit/crop the image. However, when the image is inside a Repeater field (used to create slider/carousel widgets), only Superusers can edit/crop the image. Editors receive the error: 'Not Editable' (see screenshot).

I have tried to adjust the main role permissions, the page permissions and template (widget) permissions, all to no avail :(

Any help would be greatly appreciated... I'm gonna get a coffee...

not_editable.jpg

I'm not familiar with repeaters in PW 2.3. But I think in later versions of PW, this problem has gone. If this can be confirmed here by others, I would pull that site to a local install,  and upgrade from PW 2.3 to PW 2.7., or at least, to PW 2.5, if there was the repeater issue fixed (depends on what other modules and stuff you uses). Need some confirmation of long time users here. :)

EDIT:
Oh, saw that this is your first post here. Welcome to the forums @MonkeyTennis.

Edited by horst
  • Like 1

Thanks for the reply and the hearty welcome... I've been using the forums for a couple of years, but never needed to post a new topic before.

Unfortunately, the customer will not allow us to upgrade PW to resolve this issue. If it's a genuine bug with the Repeater field, then I'll have to grant the Editor Superuser privileges and be done with it ;)

Thanks again.

30 minutes ago, MonkeyTennis said:

Unfortunately, the customer will not allow us to upgrade PW to resolve this issue.

Genuinely curious on their reason for this - seems like the opposite of what most people would want.

Ha ha... customers eh?

Budget restrictions. They have a few new features they want to implement with their remaining 2016 budget. In 2017, we're expecting to build a complete new site that most likely won't use PW. There's nothing in the pot to fix this issue.

Update: I granted the Editor role the exact same permissions as the Superuser and it made no difference. I granted a specific user (originally an Editor) the additional role of Superuser, and of course it works. I don't like it, but if there's no alternative, I'll have to live with it.

• Like 1

Probably would have taken you less time (and therefore less cost to them) to update PW to 2.8 than to debug the issue with 2.3 :) 

Sorry to hear their not sticking with ProcessWire :( Maybe if they saw how the recent versioned worked, they'd be more inclined to stay with it.

You'd think it would've been quicker to upgrade, but with local, development, staging and production environments to upgrade and test, our project managers would probably schedule a week or more for the task. Furthermore, it's a large company, but currently a low-priority project that nobody wants to touch.

If we get the job to build the new site, the CMS decision would likely be down to which product our company wants to sell. These days, our agency prefers Pirobase, Drupal or Liferay.