Custom & ProcessWIre

darkmesaia

Hello all, I'm new here in your community and working in my free time with Web desing & Development. I'm not many years in the web but I try for the best possible. Also I have not worked with ProcessWire CMS. However I have read enough good things about this the CMS

I have a question but do not know if I'm in the right section here in forum, if not I apologize from administrators...

I have a project and am intermediate in a Custom CMS from scratch and in a CMS eg the ProcessWire.

I know the difficulties or the differences from a Custom cms from scratch, but would like to know if a CMS like processwire, I could create an corresponding Project similar with a custom cms... considered the ProcessWire a Powerful cms correctly

Also a clarification on ProcessWire, the cms have based php Framework codeigniter or i do wrong;

Thanks in advance

Hey darkmesaia! (it is so enjoyable how you can welcome people with such names without a doubt on Internets :rolleyes:)
Welcome to the forums!

If you need a customizable CMS - ProcessWire is certainly one of the best. Go ahead and try it. You can change almost everything on the frontend and a lot in the admin area. Give it a try.

ProcessWire is not based on any of the general purpose php frameworks. But it has a set of features built in you would expect from a framework. And you can always extend with community modules or composer packages.

I would say ProcessWire would save quite some time comparing to building a CMS from scratch. Feel free to ask further. Or just dive in and try building something with the help of the tutorials.

• Like 8

Welcome to the forum and ProcessWire! If you're trying to ask if you can replace your custom CMS with ProcessWire, well.. the answer depends a lot on what kind of features you're looking for. In most cases I'd say "yes", but it may require some changes in your development process.

Every CMS has it's own way of doing things, and once you get used to the way ProcessWire works, it can indeed be extremely flexible and powerful. If you're just getting to know ProcessWire, I'd suggest visiting our docs section: tutorials are always a good place to start, but if you've already got a project you'd like to use ProcessWire for, you may find the cheatsheet and API reference more useful :)

To answer your question: no, ProcessWire is not based on CodeIgniter. ProcessWire is a CMS and a CMF, meaning that in a it's really a framework itself.

Edit: Right, @Ivan Gretsky beat me to it, and looks like I misunderstood the bit about custom CMS :)

If the question was whether you should start building your own CMS or choose an existing one like ProcessWire, then the answer is that you should definitely go with ProcessWire. Building your own system may feel tempting, but it's a massive amount of work, and you'll more than likely run into both technical and security issues sooner or later.

Edited by teppo
  • Like 5

Hello Ivan & Teppo, thank you very much for your time,

I appreciate and understand your response but also your advice.

About PHP Framework simply probably somewhere I would have read the internet, but I do not remember from where. No matter though, I think covered from your answer

I will try to create something through the ProcessWIre, I just wanted to have a first glance.

Also I've downloaded and run the CMS and see that it is a Powerfull & Customize whenever this helps quite

Also 2 other things

1. With a maximum number of 10, to what extent you could define 
safety of cms 
stability and functionality

2. The project that we will be a daily news site, so there will be quite a large data in site & database, it could affect the cms and functionality

Thanks again for your time and sorry if my english is not very good

You 're on PW forums, man! We wouldn't be here if we didn't think that PW deserves all 10s :rolleyes:. So do not count on us - try it.

Seriously I think that PW could be the best choice for that what you are after. There are some large scale projects with millions of pages done with ProcessWire.

And security is one of the first priorities of the development team.

• Like 1