[solved] Can i Switch to 3.0.39 Dev branch easily ?

EyeDentify

24 minutes ago, horst said:

no worry, updating this way is fine. only changing the wire folder is enough.

Thank you Sir :)

I Have been using PW for a long time now and it´s the love of my Dev life.
Just got a little worried there for a minute.

My Autism Aspergers sometimes makes certain things hard to grasp, but PW has done something no other CMS could do and that is, understand it and make me want to get more advanced and indepth with its underlying mechanics. Ryan created something wonderfull here and i hope it will live on forever.

• Like 9

@EyeDentify, also without any asperger, it is sometimes hard to grasp things. (the forums are full of examples, :ph34r::lol:)

But yep, with PW it is really nice to work. You can start with simple things and then go deeper and deeper. Every step gives you a bit more learning and understanding. And that's why you want to go deeper again. (but caution: it can be a bit addictive!) :)

• Like 5

I also worry about doing upgrades despite having done it so many times. The least stressful approach I have found is to rename the existing wire folder, index.php and .htaccess files, and then upload the new ones. So first I rename the existing files like this:

wire-old
index-old.php
.htaccess-old

Then I copy over the latest wire, index.php and .htaccess files. 

If something goes wrong during the upgrade, you can then easily delete these new files and rename the -old files.

This approach feels quicker and also avoids those dialogs asking about overwriting files.

• Like 3

@Michael Murphy Have already tried this one?

http://modules.processwire.com/modules/process-wire-upgrade/

It does what you described but automatically. If you also have this one installed...:

http://modules.processwire.com/modules/process-database-backups/

...then the upgrade module can optionally create a db backup for you, which is recommended anyway.

I recently had an issue though, but it was not the module's fault, it was a GitHub issue when github.com failed to deliver the archive of ProcessWire so the update failed too but the site was intact so no harm was done. After GitHub had come back I could upgrade without issues.

• Like 6

I completely agree with @szabesz here - the PW Upgrades modules is great! I used to be all about updates via git, but this module makes it so easy. And, if you have Tracy installed you can instantly switch between any of the versions of PW that you ever installed via the upgrades module: http://processwire.com/blog/posts/introducing-tracy-debugger/#processwire-version-panel - great if you are not sure if a problem is due to a specific PW version or not.

• Like 6

hi @szabesz thanks, the database backup modules is one of my default modules (probably should be in the core), but I've never tried the upgrade module - maybe I have a strong resistance to any kind of automatic update systems which goes back to some nightmare OS "automatic" upgrades on Windows and Mac :) Usually I have some sort of git workflow for updates, but on sites that I don't have access to the server (like shared hosting) this upgrade module might be a better and safer option than my manual upgrade process. And the module is built by Ryan then I am sure it is pretty solid and well tested. Thanks for the suggestion! 

thanks @adrian I have been recently using the tracy debugger and finding it very useful. That is a pretty cool integration for switching between versions, will give it a try!

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Michael Murphy said:

strong resistance to any kind of automatic update system

+1

Almost nothing is automated in our case, no need for that in ProcessWire world anyway. The only optional automation is the upgrade check, but it only happens when you log in and only if you enable it (off by default).

• Like 2