CSS caching - how does it work

SamC

I recently moved my dev site into dropbox so I can share it between macbook/windows desktop. I'm having some issues however with my css. I'm working directly out of the dropbox folder using sass and compiling with node/gulp-sass to a normal styles.css file. When I use:

// main.php
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="<?php echo $assets . '/css/styles.css' ?>" />

// outputs
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="/site/templates/assets/css/styles.css" />

...any changes I make to my sass (even changes directly to styles.css) are not reflected on the page. However:

// main.php
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="<?php echo $assets . '/css/styles.css?a=1' ?>" />

// outputs
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="/site/templates/assets/css/styles.css?a=1" />

...works as intended with any changes I make visible immediately.

It's obviously a caching thing but template caching is all disabled. I'm not sure where this is being cached? If the system is not outputting "/site/templates/assets/css/styles.css", then where is it getting the css from? Is it in the database? If I actually delete the styles.css file, the file is still there and populated in 'view source'.

I thought maybe it's a dropbox thing (maybe this file is cached in dropbox) but I'm not sure. I also don't know how to clear the css cache in processwire (or set it to off). Of course I can just leave it as "/site/templates/assets/css/styles.css?a=1" but I'm intrigued. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Hi SamC,

Processwire does not create a CSS cache. This is done by your browser and/or the server (in this case, Dropbox). The technique you used to see the new file, by appending a query string in the filename, in this case "?a=1", is one of the things that trigger an instruction in the browser to make it download the file again. You can read more about this in this post https://css-tricks.com/strategies-for-cache-busting-css/

And regarding keeping the site copies in sync between your computers, although Dropbox works, it's not a good practice because you can't track changes on the files and risk losing some of the work done in eventually sync error. It is recommended that you use a version control system for this. 

Best,
Sergio

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sérgio said:

Hi SamC,

Processwire does not create a CSS cache. This is done by your browser and/or the server (in this case, Dropbox). The technique you used to see the new file, by appending a query string in the filename, in this case "?a=1", is one of the things that trigger an instruction in the browser to make it download the file again. You can read more about this in this post https://css-tricks.com/strategies-for-cache-busting-css/

And regarding keeping the site copies in sync between your computers, although Dropbox works, it's not a good practice because you can't track changes on the files and risk losing some of the work done in eventually sync error. It is recommended that you use a version control system for this. 

Best,
Sergio

Hi @Sérgio thanks for the info, that link will come in handy no doubt. I haven't got the hang of version control yet. Got git installed but yet to follow any guides to use it effectively, seems quite confusing to me. I guess the next logical step would be to learn it.

"To master git, one has to live many lives" – Confucius  ;)

Is indeed very hard to understand it beyond the basics. I sure don't. :)

One good resource that I can recommend is this course by Jeffrey Way on his Laracasts: https://laracasts.com/series/git-me-some-version-control

He is an excellent teacher, I can't recommend him enough. Take a look at all courses there, you won't regret.

• Like 3

On 10/26/2016 at 2:32 PM, SamC said:

Lol. I'll check it out thanks! (adds to #916 on the impossibly long web dev bucket list)...

I do not know about the Laracast tutorial, but this is my favorite:

https://www.pluralsight.com/courses/using-git-with-gui

Super cool, "boring off-topic stuff" is NOT included, easy to grasp via the usage of GUI, highly recommended :P 

+1 for Sourcetree too. Great tool if slightly confusing at the beginning.

I probably need to look at this tutorial myself as some of the GIT Terminology confuses me.

I'm always under the impression Push / Pull / Get Requests etc seem to have slightly different meaning to what I know them to be from using much older SCCs.

1 important gotcha of the Sourcetree tool is that you can't do merges of 2 branches with it (At least I haven't figured it out).

So it appears me to that certain "admin" tasks can only been done online using the web client.

• Like 1