Redactor 2 and ProcessWire

Tom.

As many of you may know, Redactor can be included in open source projects, given that a licence is purchased.

Redactor is regarded as one of the best WYSIWYG editors available. The company I work for Peter & Paul has kindly mentioned donating a licence to the project as we love ProcessWire here and use it for every project, big or small.

However, I just thought I would check peoples interest and mostly @ryan's take on Redactor 2 - which also powers the WYSIWYG editor on Craft CMS. And whether he sees a fit for such software in the project.

We also use Statamic CMS on some of our clients sites. Statamic uses Redactor 1 and 2. Statamic v2 initially used Redactor 2 as their WYSIWYG editor but reverted back to Redactor 10 (v1) because of various issues.

Having used both CK Editor and Redactor, I would say it is not worth the time nor money/resources. Redactor is problematic, from both developers and end-users PoV

• Like 1

Thanks for your input Rudy, I personally haven't had chance to use it, I've just heard very good things. Doing some more research, I can see the implementation being quite problematic. Especially since the licence has seemed to have changed and I can't see any mention of open source projects.

Tom. Very nice gesture from your company! 

Redactor has been discussed multiple times. I think some of the reasons why it hasn't been implemented are:

- unclear license

- it is a lot work (link and image modals) 

- not generally agreed that it is better than ckeditor 

• Like 2

Something to consider: if Redactor can be bundled and distributed with open source software, why not use it as a basis for a third party inputfield module instead? InputfieldCKEditor itself started out as a separately distributed module, and considering the way ProcessWire works, this doesn't really need to be part of the core package.

While Redactor seems like a decent editor, personally I would be against bundling a closed source application with an unclear license into ProcessWire. Judging from various posts out there, no one is entirely sure how the license works (not even the Craft people), and to me that is a huge red flag.

• Like 2