BrendonKoz

Page "published" field in database - is it accessible?

I am currently running the Processwire 3.x branch (specifically 3.0.36 at the moment) and am back-porting data from a previous website that was created back in 2010. In trying to provide seemingly accurate publication dates to the older articles that I'm manually porting, I was thinking of adding a `published` field to the pages. Upon closer inspection I found that all pages do indeed have a `published` field already (in this version of ProcessWire anyhow). I suspect it was added to core back when ProDrafts was created.

I see that there's a module to handle the ability of providing this field to all pages.
http://modules.processwire.com/modules/publish-date/

I'm not sure if this is necessary now though if all pages already have an associated `published` date field? Would a module need to be created to expose this database field to the admin side, or is there another way to do this? Would modifying this field cause any detrimental side-effects (I do own a ProDrafts dev license, though am not currently using it in this project).

Hello BrendonKoz,

I would create a field f.e. date and add it to the needed templates. There is no need for the module mentioned above in my opinion.

Although every page has an internal published field since PW 2.6.16 and I think you could change it through the API, I wouldn't recommend it, because it is used for internal uses. A separate field would be more cleaner and you could also easily change the field or the published dates, if you would like to.

But that is jus my opinion. ;)

Regards, Andreas

• Like 1

Thank you for the response, AndZyk!

Do you happen to know what any of the "internal uses" of the published field are? That was mostly my concern, as I think in this case the easiest solution would be for me to manually update that field's data, and is currently what I'm leaning towards as a quick solution. In the future, with this project, access to a published field will be unnecessary.

Sorry for the late answer. I don't exactly know the "internal uses", other than ProDrafts makes use of it. Maybe thats all it is used for, but if not it is best not to mess around with it in my opinion. ;)

• Like 1

No apologies necessary; I appreciate even just the initial response! There's no expectation of a response, but thanks again for the reply!

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By dimitrios
      Hello,
      this module can publish content of a Processwire page on a Facebook page, triggered by saving the Processwire page.
      To set it up, configure the module with a Facebook app ID, secret and a Page ID. Following is additional configuration on Facebook for developers:
      Minimum Required Facebook App configuration:
      on Settings -> Basics, provide the App Domains, provide the Site URL, on Settings -> Advanced, set the API version (has been tested up to v3.3), add Product: Facebook Login, on Facebook Login -> Settings, set Client OAuth Login: Yes, set Web OAuth Login: Yes, set Enforce HTTPS: Yes, add "https://www.example.com/processwire/page/" to field Valid OAuth Redirect URIs. This module is configurable as follows:
      Templates: posts can take place only for pages with the defined templates. On/Off switch: specify a checkbox field that will not allow the post if checked. Specify a message and/or an image for the post.
      Usage
      edit the desired PW page and save; it will post right after the initial Facebook log in and permission granting. After that, an access token is kept.

Download
      PW module directory: http://modules.processwire.com/modules/auto-fb-post/ Github: https://github.com/kastrind/AutoFbPost   Note: Facebook SDK for PHP is utilized.

• By Elchin
      Hi.
      I want select pages where now between date and end_date or now bigger than date and end_date is empty.
      I have five tried variants:
      $start = strtotime(date('Y-m-d') . " 00:00:00"); $results = $page->children("foo=(date<$start,date_end=''),bar=(date<$start,date_end>=$start),sort=-date,limit=12"); $start = strtotime(date('Y-m-d') . " 00:00:00"); $results = $page->children("date<$start,(date_end='',date_end>=$start),sort=-date,limit=12"); $start = strtotime(date('Y-m-d') . " 00:00:00"); $results = $page->children("date_end=''|date_end>=$start,date<$start,sort=-date,limit=12"); $start = strtotime(date('Y-m-d') . " 00:00:00"); $results = $page->children("!date_end|date_end>=$start,date<$start,sort=-date,limit=12"); $start = strtotime(date('Y-m-d') . " 00:00:00"); $results = $page->children("date_end>=$start|!date_end,date<$start,sort=-date,limit=12"); All this variants not worked for me and returned zero results.
    • By MateThemes
      Hello everyone.
      I have a question that i can't find a way to solve.
      I have following function in _uikit.php 
      $date = $page->get('date|createdStr'); $dateModified = $page->get('datemodified'); But I need to output the $date in to different formats.
      My further function looks like this
      // return the blog post article markup return " <div> <article class='uk-article blog-post $class'> <meta property='name' content='$page->title'> <meta property='author' typeof='Person' content='Arra Lifte Harmanschlag'> <meta property='dateModified' content='$dateModified'> <meta property='datePublished' content='$date'> <meta class='uk-margin-remove-adjacent' property='articleSection' content='News'> <div property='image' typeof='ImageObject'> $featuredBlogPostImage </div> $heading <ul class='mt25 uk-margin-remove-bottom uk-subnav uk-subnav-divider'> <li class='uk-article-meta'> <time datetime='$date'>$byline</time> </li> </ul> <div class='mt25' property='text'> $body </div> </article> </div> "; Now I need to output the meta property in this format 2019-03-02CET05:23:00 and then a normal date format that is displayed on the Homepage with 2. März 2019 without time.
      Can anybody help me?
      Thanks in advance.
    • By Eunico Cornelius
      I am trying to get the strftime format from the function convertDateFormat(). However, the output has $ signs in it which i cannot use in strftime.(example of conversion : $d/$m/%Y what strftime actually uses: %d/%m/%Y). Am I in the wrong here or is there some way to format strftime? Thank you in advance :).
    • By ksymmons
      Hi,
      I'm creating a multilingual blog for a client. I'm using Multi-language fields, and it's working great. Essentially, there are two versions of each article: one in English and one in Spanish. 
      Now, I've created a Datetime field with a "Date/time picker" so that they can add a publication date (no time) to their blog entries. I want the month part of the date to be displayed in whatever language the article is being displayed in. Let's take the following example:
      1) "Un artículo de ejemplo", accessible via example.com/un-articulo-de-ejemplo/
      2) "A sample article", accessible via example.com/en/a-sample-article/
      In this example, for article number 1 I want the date to be "12 ene 2017", and for article number 2 I want it to be "12 jan 2017". In other words, the same format for both languages, but localised. And for some reason, I seem unable to do so and dates are always displayed in English.
      Here's the code I'm using to display the date field:
      <?= $post->publication_date; ?> How can I get this to work? Thanks.