hellomoto

No admin/login access on attempted upgrade from stable to dev branch; returns 404

I hid/set aside the old /wire/, index.php, and .htaccess, as well as /site/config.php. Debug=1. $config->urls->admin = /pw/, as it's set as. I'm finding that others are encountering a similar issue but haven't found any solution yet, at least none that works for me. Please help, thanks much

Hi, to upgrade or downgrade what I always do is to rename the existing wire folder then copy a new wire folder. In general thats the only thing you need to do for pw upgrade. Once you're happy with the upgrade then you can remove the old wire folder.

You only have to replace .htaccess and index.php if you upgrade from pw 2.xx to 3.xx

• Like 1

10 hours ago, hellomoto said:

I hid/set aside the old /wire/, index.php, and .htaccess, as well as /site/config.php.

If you removed /site/config.php that will definitely cause a problem. No need to touch that file when upgrading.

• Like 1

You may want to take time to review the instructions on upgrading ProcessWire, which should provide adequate guidance on what to do:

On the ProcessWire website

https://processwire.com/docs/install/upgrade/

https://processwire.com/docs/install/troubleshooting/#troubleshooting-upgrades

On Github

https://github.com/processwire/processwire

• Like 4

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Ivan Gretsky
      Most of us know and use site/config-dev.php file. If present, it is used instead of site/config.php, so it is easy to set database connection and debug mode for local development, not touching the production config. It is also very useful when working with git. You can simply ignore it in the .gitignore file, so local settings won’t end up in the repo.
      But sometimes you need to add code to site/ready.php or site/init.php just for the dev environment. For example, to add ryan’s super cool on demand images mirrorer. I can’t live without it when working with big sites, which have more assets then I want to download to my desktop.
      It would be great if there was something like site/ready-dev.php for this. Not out-of-the-box, but it’s pretty easy to achieve. Unlike site/config-dev.php, site/ready.php is not hardcoded. It’s name is set with a special config setting:
      // wire/config.php $config->statusFiles = array( 'boot' => '', 'initBefore' => '', 'init' => 'init.php', 'readyBefore' => '', 'ready' => 'ready.php', 'readySite' => '', 'readyAdmin' => '', 'render' => '', 'download' => '', 'finished' => 'finished.php', 'failed' => '', ); As you can see, we can not only define, which files are loaded on init, ready and finished runtime states, but probably even add more if we need to.
      So we override this setting in site/config-dev.php like this:
      // site/config-dev.php // Change ready.php to ready-dev.php $temp = $config->statusFiles; $temp['ready'] = 'ready-dev.php'; $config->statusFiles = $temp; For some reason we can’t just do
      $config->statusFiles['ready'] = 'ready-dev.php'; and have to override the whole array. Maybe you PHP gurus can explain this in the comments.
      Now we can create the site/ready-dev.php file and place all the dev-only code there. Important thing is to include the main site/ready.php.
      // site/ready-dev.php include 'ready.php'; // DEV HOOK TO MIRROR ASSETS ON DEMAND $wire->addHookAfter('Pagefile::url, Pagefile::filename', function($event) { $config = $event->wire('config'); $file = $event->return; if($event->method == 'url') { // convert url to disk path $file = $config->paths->root . substr($file, strlen($config->urls->root)); } if(!file_exists($file)) { // download file from source if it doesn't exist here $src = 'https://mysite.com/site/assets/files/'; $url = str_replace($config->paths->files, $src, $file); $http = new WireHttp(); try { $http->download($url, $file); } catch (\Exception $e) { bd($file, "Missing file"); } } }); Do not forget to replace "mysite.com" if you’re copypasting this))
      Now, add the newly created file to the `.gitignore` and we’re done.

# .gitignore # Ignore dev files site/config-dev.php site/ready-dev.php Thanks for reading!

• By Peter Knight
      Hi guys
      is there a checklist of items I should consider for diagnosing a series of pages which display a 404 error?
      Basically I have built a Blog and all my posts are under a folder called 'Posts'. Some of these pages successfully display while others display a 404 page. 
      This is what I have confirmed so far...
      1. All pages are within the same root folder 'Posts'
      2. All pages have the same template and fields completed
      3. All pages have the same properties under Settings > Who can access this page
      4. Pages have no redirects in place
      5. Pages have no special characters or anything funky in the URL slug
      There are no errors showing in the log either so I am stuck 😕
      Thanks
    • By muzzer
      Existing PW site version 2.7.2 core running on php7.1. Site is perhaps 7 yrs old and never misses a beat. Can't speak highly enough about this solid version, but....
      As new php versions are released (v8 in the next year I think?) and each seems to get quicker I'm looking at upgrading to php7.3 or 7.4 and upgrading the site to PW v3.x.
      I've been away from the forums since v3 was released so don't know much about it. I guess it's stable as it's been around for ages now, but what I'm wondering is:
      what are the real advantages of upgrading to v3 for a site which is actively used but with only periodic development. And what are the disadvantages if any? Is there any speed impact (good or bad) in either general site speed under 3.x or admin-use speed/ease of use? any issues with either PW version with newer php versions (>7.1) I should know about? is there any good write-ups/vids about new features etc of v3 compared to v2.7? Thank you

• By Andi
      Getting a little deeper into the ProcessWire state-of-mind here. I seriously think I wouldn't have come back to webdev if it wasn't for this wonderful little gem of a CMS.
      I have an "Options" field added to all users on a site. If the user has anything other then "default" selected, I would like to show a permanent message in the admin like the one in the screenshot, only so that the user can't close it. As a friendly reminder that he changed that option from default to something crazy 🙂
      I've read up on how to send messages to users, but where would I hook into to make this show up all the time in the backend?
      https://processwire.com/api/ref/wire/message/
      Thanks in advance!

• By EyeDentify
      Hello Dear PW Gurus.

Hope you fair well in these Corona Crisis times.

Anyhow, i have a problem with a Cryptic error message that shows up when i am trying to Delete images out of a Images field.
      The Error message does say a little but it does not make sense to me why i can´t delete the images because of it.

Is it some permission issue perhaps?

I will attach screenshots of it and what i did prior to it.
      I am from sweden so ignore the funny words here and there.

Hope you all can send me on the right track.
      i am running PW 3.0.139 on this install.

Step1:

Step 2: Select the images with the trashcan symbol

Step 3: Cryptic Error message

I am scratching my head on this one, have not seen this before.

Thankfull for all help.
      /EyeDentify