Migration from Staging Environment

quickjeff

Hi Guys, 

I wanted to post this thread to get some insight as to how others are migrating from a staging directory inside a live server to the actual root directory.

I typically develop a project locally using Mamp and then move into a staging environment on a staging server . There are some cases the project requires to move the site into a directory inside a live site to make deployment of the new project move faster.

When I move a project into a directory on the live server of domain.com/test/ I run into an issue of content links.

What I mean is that I look at the source code in the CKEDITOR for a field and the link will display:

domain.com/test/whatever-the-link-is/ 

or 

domain.com/test/assets/file.pdf

or

domain.com/test/assets/image.jpg 

The issue is, when I move to a live site, I have to go back and change tons of links from:

to 

domain.com/whatever-the-link-is/  

How are you guys making the link changes across the entire site at once?

Are you using SQL Commands? Something in ProcessWire?  Any suggestions will help eliminate the manual process. :-)

At least for links to pages, you can enable the builtin link abstraction feature that came with PW 3.0.6. I haven't used it myself (wrote my own link abstraction shortly before 3.0.6 came out and mine ties into other modules/workflows I use), but from what I saw in the code, it should deal with any path changes on its own. You're left to handle images yourself though (I think).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, quickjeff said:

What I mean is that I look at the source code in the CKEDITOR for a field and the link will display:

For me, all internal links made in a CKEditor field are relative links, and these wouldn't need to be updated if the site was moved to a subdirectory. Not sure why you would be getting absolute links in yours.

There is a config setting for ProcessPageEditLink to set the URL type:

page-link.png

Strangely, mine is set to "Absolute", but maybe this means "absolute relative to the site root"?