Jason Huck

dashes in selector values

Am I right in understanding that there's no way to escape or encode a dash ("-") for use within a selector value (that has to be sanitized)? Looking at the code for $sanitizer it looks like it's just converted to a space. That seemingly makes it impossible to search for terms like "x-ray." Any workarounds for this?

Works for me. I put x-ray into the body field on page 'Three' and got this result in Selector Test:

selector.png

Edit: just realised you're asking about selector values that are going through a sanitizer. Not sure which sanitizer you are using, but $sanitizer->text() keeps dashes intact.

• Like 1

Really? So, we cannot have pages titled "X-Ray" then? :)

echo '<pre>';
print_r($sanitizer->testAll('x-ray'));
echo '</pre>';
// results
Array
(
    [name] => x-ray
    [names] => x-ray
    [varName] => x_ray
    [fieldName] => x_ray
    [templateName] => x-ray
    [pageName] => x-ray
    [pageNameTranslate] => x-ray
    [filename] => x-ray
    [path] => x-ray
    [pagePathName] => x-ray
    [email] => 
    [emailHeader] => x-ray
    [text] => x-ray
    [textarea] => x-ray
    [url] => x-ray
    [selectorField] => x_ray
    [selectorValue] => x-ray
    [entities] => x-ray
    [entities1] => x-ray
    [unentities] => x-ray
    [entitiesMarkdown] => x-ray
    [purify] => x-ray
    [string] => x-ray
    [date] => 
    [int] => 0
    [intUnsigned] => 0
    [intSigned] => 0
    [float] => 0
    [array] => Array
        (
            [0] => x-ray
        )

[intArray] => Array
        (
            [0] => 0
        )

[bool] => 1
)

http://processwire.com/api/variables/sanitizer/

• Like 1

I have a load of sanitised values containing '-' characters that I successfully use in selectors; I'm working with one at the moment. It's disallowed from sanitised field names though - as they get translated to PHP variable names and have to follow the same rules.

Whoops, my bad. I had read this: http://cheatsheet.processwire.com/sanitizer/properties-and-methods/sanitizer-selectorvalue-value/

...combined with this: http://processwire.com/api/selectors/#sanitizing

...and spotted this: https://github.com/processwire/processwire/blob/master/wire/core/Sanitizer.php#L1506

...and since searches containing dashes weren't working in this project, had come to the conclusion that $sanitizer->selectorValue() considered dashes to be illegal characters and was replacing them with spaces, but that's clearly not the case.

I've since discovered that dashes are ignored characters by default in the Indexer module, which is what I'm using for search. I've taken that character out of the Ignored Characters field and reindexed all objects, but still not getting results. Most likely some old results are cached somewhere. I'll verify dashes are actually present in the indexer field, and take it from there. Thanks for the clarification!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Robin S
      Sanitizer EasySlugger
      Allows the use of the EasySlugger library as Sanitizer methods.
      Installation
      Install the Sanitizer EasySlugger module.
      Usage
      The module adds four new sanitizer methods.
      slugger($string, $options)
      Similar to $sanitizer->pageName() - I'm not sure if there are any advantages over that method. Included because it is one of the methods offered by EasySlugger.
      $slug = $sanitizer->slugger('Lorem Ipsum'); // Result: lorem-ipsum utf8Slugger($string, $options)
      Creates slugs from non-latin alphabets.
      $slug = $sanitizer->utf8Slugger('这个用汉语怎么说'); // Result: zhe-ge-yong-han-yu-zen-me-shuo seoSlugger($string, $options)
      Augments the string before turning it into a slug. The conversions are related to numbers, currencies, email addresses and other common symbols.
      $slug = $sanitizer->seoSlugger('The price is $5.99'); // Result: the-price-is-5-dollars-99-cents See the EasySlugger readme for some more examples.
      seoUtf8Slugger($string, $options)
      A combination of utf8Slugger() and seoSlugger().
      $slug = $sanitizer->seoUtf8Slugger('价钱是 $5.99'); // Result: jia-qian-shi-5-dollars-99-cents $options argument
      Each of the methods can take an $options array as a second argument.
      separator (string): the character that separates words in the slug. Default: - unique (bool): Determines whether a random suffix is added at the end of the slug. Default: false $slug = $sanitizer->utf8Slugger('这个用汉语怎么说', ['separator' => '_', 'unique' => true]); // Result: zhe_ge_yong_han_yu_zen_me_shuo_3ad66c4  
      https://github.com/Toutouwai/SanitizerEasySlugger
      https://modules.processwire.com/modules/sanitizer-easy-slugger/
    • By Roberts R
      I have simple page structure:
      category subcategory simple-product simple-product simple-product simple-product subcategory .... category2 so Im at category page and running
      $pages->find("template=simple-product, has_parent=$page, limit=8"); and it returns 0 pages

but this returns 4 pages
      $pages->find("template=simple-product, has_parent=$page"); Can someone explain why limit does not work here?
      EDIT:
      So I did some tests and it seems that any limit=n where n is >= actual page count that is possible ... selector return 0 results.
    • By sww
      Hey there,
      i am trying to add a kind of "intelligent" search.
      Is there any way to ignore punctuation and extra chars.
      e.g.
      When I type "somebody elses" that I still get the result "SOMEBODY ELSE´S CAR, 2005"
      The problem is the extra ´ … if I don't type it I don't get the result.
      So far I am using %=query (which isn't enough, I know)
      So the idea would be something like that:
      $selector = "sanitize(title|text)%=$q, limit=50";
      I know, it's not gonna work like that … just to illustrate.
      Best,
      Stefan
    • By jds43
      Hello, I have a Page Reference by template radio button field to promote a certain page (only two options), but I'd like to target the page that isn't selected. This would be used dynamically throughout the site.
      Does anyone know how I could accomplish this? Would I use something like remove() or not()?

• By dandeckr
      Hello!
      I'm making my way through my first encounter with ProcessWire, and I'm very near the end of my tasks! I've searched Google, these forums, and for add-ons, but I haven't found any documentation or reference work for implementing boolean searching in the native CMS? Am I missing a thread, add-on, or docs that can point the way? I'm sure I'm not the first to have a need like this? Thanks in advance!